looking to buy a 360 - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 02:51 PM
KellysGrenadier's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos View Post
I dont want to turn this into a console war. But in my house we have all 3 consoles and the PS3 is never used. We just cant see any good games for it nor any good ones coming out in the future. If you like JRPGs than maybe a PS3 would be better as the Xbox does not really have many RPGs. The ps3 may get better in the future, in fact its certain to but there is no point buying one now during to the poor game selection and price. If you are highly into blue-ray then get a ps3 as it is cheaper than most blue-ray players plus you can play games.
Unless you are going to download movies or put all your music on it I would get a standard xbox360 with 20gb HD. If you are going to install games on to your Xbox 360 then I would get an elite.
My friend would like to discuss that with the following points...

The PS3 has exclusive titles such as MGS4.

All games released will be multi format. PS3 and the 360 will have the same games.

www.shopto.net ; PS3 games are 1 or 2 pounds dearer.

-Edit

This isn't slagging off the 360, merely opening up options for the OP.

Operor Vel Intereo
- Kellashian 1st Drop Troop Grenadiers motto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-08, 03:44 PM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Talos's Flag is: United Kingdom

really did not what to turn this into a console war thread. But you just listed one exclusive which I have and I found to be a pretty standard game. I have not played any other MSG games so maybe that is why I found it pretty boring. The Xbox 360 has a pretty nice selection of Exclusive games.
As you said all games will be mutliformat but the reason why I buy all my multiformat games for the xbox is because of live, I find it much better than the PS3 version. I also much prefer the xbox controller for FPS games.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-08, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Ex Mod.

cccp's Flag is: Great Britain

iv already said guys, i don't have any intention at all of even thinking about the PS3. im after a 360. please dont keep advising me to spend money on something i don't want.

iv decided that im going to get myself a pro - i think its the best value for money. so, what other accessories do i need to get as well as the console?
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-08, 12:53 PM
Darth Druchii

Druchii in Space's Flag is: Wales

I'd 100% recommend the charger unit, the plug in 360 chargers that come with the power packs can cause disc damage if pulled accidently when playing (lost a copy of Oblivion that way when my youngest tripped over the wire) and its just convient to take out the charge packs and slam them into a little unit to charge. I have three pads now, so at least always one charge pack is in the charger.

linky

Come and join us by the fire, to chat about the games that matter to you at the Roleplay Games Forum
---------------
"I feel I was denied. Critical, need to Know information!"
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-08, 01:24 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Wireless headset is nice, if yo uare going to be on XBox live a lot then the little keypad you can get might be a nice addition. the Wireless network adapter could be usefull depending on the XBOxs location to the router. And last but not least an extra controller or 2.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-08, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Ex Mod.

i have one of these already - http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardwa...rge-Kit-White/

i also have the head mic. ill look into the wireless adaptor, thanks djinn.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-08, 01:51 PM
Darth Druchii

Aye those where the ones I was talking about, they are fine, but be careful when playing if charging at the same time, for the reasons I mentioned above. I have three of the darned things and never use them anymore.

Come and join us by the fire, to chat about the games that matter to you at the Roleplay Games Forum
---------------
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-08, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Ex Mod.

i understand what you mean druchii, luckily though the arrangement of my lounge means that i can charge without anyone being able to physically walk over the wire as it is right next to the wall.

does the xbox tend to destroy games when knocked and jogged and things like that?
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-08-08, 05:52 PM
Darth Druchii

I've lost three games since I brought my machine, all in the first two years, but not since I stopped using the plug and play charger. That was about a year ago, and I also had a strange malfunction with my original console, where the AV cable connection broke. Sadly it was out of gaurantee, so to save hassle with Microsoft's repair centre I just brought a new one in June this year. So it was either bad luck with the wire, or my old machine. However I was also advised by a microsoft Tech not to knock it at all when the game was playing, he also advised me to lay it down and not have it upright, this was back when I suffered a red ring of death about two years ago and I mentioned I'd had a game stop working, oddly later another Tech while chatting about another issue made the suggestion that one of their techs would have never advised this. Me thinks a cover up there?

So not had a game wrecked for at least a year. Might be luck, might be a combination of the three things above, not sure tbh, but one game Oblivion was defiantely scratched beyond repair when my son tripped over the wire while the machine was upright. The other two a second copy of Oblivion (aye, how unlucky is that) and a WWE game I can't remember exactly what happened when they got scratched, I think they just started getting disc read errors, but it was all happening while it was upright. So that might be the key factor in why it hasn't happened since.

---------------

Last edited by Druchii in Space; 11-08-08 at 05:57 PM.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-10-08, 07:52 AM

This month we've (work) had 17 360s back with complaints of the three red lights and them damaging games. Best way to counter that is to keep it in a well ventilated area, surrounded does not work well for them, and keep it lying flat unlike how they advertise it. It's more stable that way and less likely to Wobble and let the laser burn into the CD

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode