Operation: Oldschool shooter revival - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Operation: Oldschool shooter revival

Yes, that's right. Me and some friends are in the early stages of developing a shooter with the qualities of Doom and Quake. We're using the Source engine and intend to recreate the atmosphere of these classics while also putting our own spin on things. The reasons? Twofold.

Firstly, because we can. All three of us have been in the modding/mapping community for a fair while, using our preferred engines and systems to make things simply because we can.
Secondly, because this style of shooter seems to be all but lost. Nowadays, things seem to constantly be getting more complicated. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes, you just want to ignore narratives and details, and just play a game that essentially entails "Get from A to B, don't get killed by C, and blow the shit out of D, E, F with constantly bigger and more OTT guns, until you get to G who puts up an insane fight".

We've done our research and figured out that there's definitely a lot of people who would play such a game (and hopefully enjoy it), especially offered at the price of free, except the time it takes to download. The thing we haven't fleshed out yet are the details. All we know for certain is that it's going to involve the tried n' tested method of "One guy with a bag o' boomsticks against the legions of hell".

So, I ask you this. What would you be interested in seeing in such a game? Any particular setting, enemy or weapon you'd love to be able to play with, without any fear of things such as karma or friendly fire to piss on the enjoyment of your massacre?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 05:08 AM

KrythosMJarenkai's Flag is: Canada

portal gun or grav gun? throwing giant boxes around without worrying about allys sounds fun, or useing portals to make people fall into firey death traps. yeah

"until our cousins perish, all there will be, is war. May Khaine guide us to the slaughter"

Draconis Azrael, Loyal Servant of the Witch King.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 07:10 AM

hells_fury's Flag is: Australia

this sounds interesting, i would like to see a bolter, that would be cool.

a warning on a crossbow

'It is a serious piece of killing equipment and should not be purchased by children under the age of 9. '

if your bored my MSN is hells_fury@live.com, add me and ill talk with anyone :p

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 03:29 PM

Alexander Darkblade's Flag is: USA

*tears up* your bringing back me memories from when i was 3 years old xD
doom was and is STILL my favortie game (Doom2) i want you to email this thing to me if you can ill test it myself O_O

"The Knights are broken, the Renegades are defeated, there remains only one truth to our order... Vengeance"
Chaos Lord Darkblade, Darksteel Disciples
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 04:19 PM
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

Great idea, if you have the graphical know how then a quake style 40k game would be cool. You could have a lone terminator coming to after being knocked out in an explosion or something, then having to battle his way through a genestealer infested hulk, or something like that.

I'm getting all excited already thinking about making skulls explode with an assault cannon!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-08, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hmm. I don't know about 40k specifically, but we've already decided there's going to be some very obvious references. (Kind of like Duke 3D with Doom. "That's one doomed space marine!")
Also, we were thinking about something kind of like a bolter, possibly an assault rifle with the primary function of full-auto, and the secondary of a slower, 3 round burst with explosive rounds
Not giving too much away about our ideas thusfar, but we've already made a stakegun to pin people to walls and stuff, too.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-08, 07:43 PM

beenburned's Flag is: United Kingdom

Stake guns, needle guns that make things slowly swell up and burst, a gun that fires a thin flat laser beam that slices stuff in two (...four...eight...sixteen....nevermind) pieces, pretty much exactly the same gun as the pulse rifle from UT...

Oh

And a rocket launcher that fires chainsaws. There's more, but I'll stop.

Sorry about that, but man, if you could pull this off then I think I would end up worshipping you as some kind of god, and when you wanted ideas for guns...well...I went into a gun frenzy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode