Monster Hunter 4 Ulitimate - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-15, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Default Monster Hunter 4 Ulitimate

This is going to be a quick commentary in regards to the topic of monster hunter 4 Ultimate. The most recent English release in Capcom's Monster Hunter series. My history in regards to this series is that I've played all of the current English releases; Monster Hunter 1, Freedom Unite, Tri and Tri Ultimate, then also Portable Third (Japanese).

My personal favourite in the series is certainly Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (Monster Hunter 2 second release in English), at last check I had played around 500 hours between two characters, one close to 200 hours then my other one which has about 350, both of which I soloed up to late high rank. The second in, this is probably Monster Hunter Portable Third which apart from being in Japanese was a excellent game. I have more recently been playing Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate which I got a few months back, almost in response to the 4 Ultimate release, didn't enjoy this game too much primarily due to the under water elements, where without a 8 directional stick offered by a gamepad on the Wii-U or Wii, is very difficult to do particularly in the late game High rank and G rank upward.

So now the initial impressions of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate; so far about 10-15 hours in with very little gear, still fighting the initial tedium that is often found right at the start of these games. So far my favourite weapons are the Long sword and Bug Stave, Long swords are certainly a quite strong weapon for people such as me who mainly solo because lack of interaction with other people through the other games which I've mentioned previously. In regard to the Bug Stave it is a interesting addition to the game, with some interesting movement options which I enjoy with the weapons that I like to use. The Stave has a few interesting options of a forward and backwards rolling attacks and then the vault, a little OP in regards to Mounting but in the full game it has certainly been tuned down since the Demo. Then there is the "Little Friend" the Kinsect a helpful little kritter who provides little buffs and a ranged attack for a Melee weapon which creates an interesting option for a weapon.

Overall the game certainly seems to have be more based off, the Unite ideas, but on the maybe a modified Tri or Portable Third engine, then there is the variation in regards to increased verticality of the areas which are used, with small hills or even cliffy areas changing up the fight. the along with the changes of the areas such as multiple levels in a single area. So for fans of the earlier games or Tri without water I believe this to be an excellent advance in the series.

So far the game is quite interesting, looking forward to getting further into the game and expanding my knowledge of the game further.

That is the end of my ramble

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-15, 12:54 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

I thought that the earlier games were superior to the one before this one and I was pleased o see they brought a lot of those creatures back for Ultimate. I look forward to playing it for myself

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-15, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Depends on which aspects you are talking of, unite certainly had an interesting method for fighting with some interesting additions of the long sword, bow and gunlance, while firming uo some of the hit boxes which in monster hunter 1 made things quite interesting. Tri cleaned up the hit boxes further and altered some mechanics one of which (water) was not recived amazingly by many of the comunity didn't seem to be amazingly recived.

Four on the other hand is a good change, it introduces somethings but seems to be not too extreme to break the game as such or cause major dislike in it because of the large alteration.

Think that kinda made sence.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-15, 04:49 AM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well I've played the last 2 MH games and had the demo for 4, so it's nice to know that the full game is decent. Think I'll try and pick it up over easter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-15, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Have been playing more, today and remembered something which i didn't mention the other day.

In regards to the "Gathering/Freeroam" areas which have been in since Tri, ever since the addition of these to the game i believe this is certainly a major improvement to the design.

It is quite interesting in 4U, in comparison to Tri\TriU , the mechanic is the same basically an area which the hunter can enter, with unlimited time and respawning resources/mobs. The main change in 4U is a apearingly random collection of areas through which a hunter can roam, many of which are have quite interesting designs. To go along with this is a mechanic of a limited map to show only the area the hunter is in, making paintballing near pointless, on the large monsters you encounter. Certainly an interesting idea.

The other new introduction is some more efficient placement of eating/buff areas, (I'm refering to the meal spots, or spa in Portable Third) before quest spots and some "blue" item only chests which make preparing for quests much easier. Which is certainly nice for those who have stuggled with the early games, Tri seemed to be similar but not as efficent.

That is all to add for the minute more updates coming.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:

Last edited by Battman; 03-06-15 at 08:51 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-15, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Random thought in regards to this game haven't played in a little while just a interesting observation, is that i have now played 224:09 hours, but have become quite bored from the game at the moment. which with the extra features i find surprising, such as Freedom Unite i had close to 550 hours.

Might be different with more multiplayer while Ive mostly been playing solo primarily as a gun lance user.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-16, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Well little littlw bit of thread necromancy have been playing a lot again.

Up to "G2" with HR91 got 371 hours played, lots of farming for weapons mainly got the full set of Longswords, hammers and Gunlances up to the point i am in the game.

I'm not sure in the HR system after reaching "G" rank it is a little strange to take off the cap and just go by amount of missions its really interesting. This is my first time spending enough time to get to "G" rank and also being able to, in FreedomUnite I'd enough time but not enough skill to get there in this game its certainly easier. But not sure if this was in previous titles.

Thats all for now.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode