The Force Unleashed - My Review - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-08, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

NerdyOgre254's Flag is: Australia

Default The Force Unleashed - My Review

Hey all,
Just recently had a good solid go at the new Star Wars: Force Unleashed demo.

my verdict: meh.

Why?
1. Badguys in the way? Force Grip them. Environmental puzzles? Force Grip them. Mission objective? Force Grip them. It's the same thing over and over again. As a comparison, Half-life 2's Gravity gun and the integrated physics of the game were a major point. but there was a great story to back it up. This is just repetition.

2. Graphics. Even on a PS3, it looks pretty damn bad. Does anyone remember the original Halo, on the Xbox? you remember how everything was shiny? its much the same here.

Now onto the good stuff:

1. Sound - Can't really fault much here, i mean sound is sound. the music is nothing new, but why change something if it's lasted for 20 odd years?

2. Spoiler here, but the very first level allows you to play as Darth Vader. very damn cool, i must say.

3. Boss Fights - boss battles (having seen a few of them) do have some slight variety. When a boss is on low health, you get to do a God Of War style timed button prompt cinematic, and it looks quite cool.

4. Force Powers have been taken up a notch, if not in style but in power.
The main character can pull a Star Destroyer out of the sky, and one of the Jedi bosses can animate squadrons of bad guys made out of scrap metal.

Overall: If you really like the Star Wars Universe, then buy it. it's a good hack and slash game. Otherwise i'd avoid it, or maybe rent it.

On the subject of Rat Ogres:
But if we give them laser eyes and mounted guns, we'll have to bring in Clan Skryre, and everyone knows how much those limp-tailed snuff addicts overcharge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-08, 04:10 AM
The Traveler

Dirge Eterna's Flag is: USA

I don't know. I preordered it because I'm a fanatic like that, and for the few days I was able to play, it was a good game. I think that the black lightsaber was about the most awesomesauce thing I've ever seen ever, and the Tutorial with Vader was epic to begin with. Although it certainly was repetitive after the second run-through, I found new areas and ways to dispatch my opponents quite late in the game, after I unlocked the Light side canon ending. I would definately recommend going back through for the other ending, light or dark, as both are epic (Especially the Dark Side ending....Sith Stalker Armor FTW!!)

It's a good game, but yes, it is repetative, and unless you're familiar with the Star Wars universe, many things will hit you as "huh?!".

Final verdict for me would be a solid 7.8/10
-Dirge

You'll forgive me, but you must be mistaken. I've met your makers, and they don't even know your name...

GIVING CHASE- ORDO HERETICUS FIC
(Updated Mar. 19)

Hat in the Ring
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-08, 06:18 AM

Kharnage's Flag is: Australia

Tbh I never liked Star Wars so I probably won't get it. It sounds repetitive.

All is dust...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-08, 07:06 AM

Zorenthewise's Flag is: USA

I must say it can be repetitive if you allow it to be. I love to mix up my force powers, however, and even if it is not needed to complete the game, I am still having a lot of fun doing different combos on enemies, impaling them with my lightsaber, and smashing my way through practically anything.

All in all, I think it is a very fun game, and I find myself replaying levels just to see the many, many, many different ways I can kill a mob of stormtroopers. Also, two words: Jawa punting. :D

"Did you just deploy your guardsmen in ranks?" - Quote from my last battle

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-08, 07:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Some of the gameplay was a bit repetitive, but the story was decent, especially if you chose the light side ending coupled with the cut-scene to the final level.

I do wish it was just a little longer though, even on sith lord it felt like things went by to quickly.

Spoiler alert: Control of the true founder of the rebellion and one of the most powerful force users to live, ya gotta love it.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-08, 01:55 AM

Zorenthewise's Flag is: USA

Agreed on the quick part. Very short game.

"Did you just deploy your guardsmen in ranks?" - Quote from my last battle

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-08, 09:36 AM

aM | Gunslinger's Flag is: Wales

hey ive got force unleashed and i think it is funking awesome

ok i am a massive star wars fan but it is such a cool game. when u go into the cinematic killing the boss scenes they are awesome and theres allways new and fun ways to dispatch ur opponents.the fun is never ending.

one problem is omg i cant find the black lightsaber anywere raaaaghh
but ill get there and yep i love the fight on felucia when u have to fight the like five rancors i love that bit.

but my only real fault with the game is how some characters who dont have the force can somehow negate your force powers. e.g. the crazy black emporors guard with the lightsabers.

anyway its awesome i recommend it to any starwars fan

I have a rendezvous with death, At some disputed barricade, it may be that he shall take my hand, and lead me into his dark land, and close my eyes and quench my breath, I have a rendezvous with death, and i to my pledged word am true, i shall not fail that rendezvous...

Quote:
I won't remove the thread. This is an example of how Heresy members should not act toward other forum members, and seriously, don't pull the free speech bullshit. You're free to say what I allow you to say.
- jezlad
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-08, 10:37 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirge Eterna View Post
I would definately recommend going back through for the other ending, light or dark, as both are epic (Especially the Dark Side ending....Sith Stalker Armor FTW!!)
I've just finished it, and only then realised there were 2 endings. I got the light ending. What do you have to do to get the dark one?

KF's Journey Through His Plastic Crack Addiction. 40k, Flames of War, Bolt Action, and more.

01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100001 01101000 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100001
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-08, 12:15 AM
Senior Moderator

When you are given the option of fighting Vader or the Emperor, fight Vader. Its your final fight that determines the ending of the game; light is much better in my own opinion.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-08, 01:34 AM
Darth Druchii

Druchii in Space's Flag is: Wales

Sounds good to a point from what I'm hearing, although after downloading the demo from live, I decided against buying it now at full price, and will look for a cheaper copy next year. I think I can wait and tbh only the Star Wars nut in me wants it so I can fight one of my fave Jedi ever, Shaak Ti.

Come and join us by the fire, to chat about the games that matter to you at the Roleplay Games Forum
---------------
"I feel I was denied. Critical, need to Know information!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode