DOTA2 International 4 prize pool at $10Million - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-27-14, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default DOTA2 International 4 prize pool at $10Million

Do we have any DOTA fans on Heresy?

The prize pool for this year's international (AKA the DOTA world Cup) hit $10m today, the majority of which has been raised through sales of an Interactive Online Compendium (AKA panini sticker album). 25% of each 6 sale has gone towards the prize pool.

I enjoy watching a bit of DOTA, but i've never once thought it would break through as a properly recognised 'sport'.

I do still have my doubts, but considering the prize pool is now bigger than the Tour de France and several other big sporting events it does make you wonder.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-14, 11:52 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

All that money, and still nobody plays Venge or Silencer as a carry the way God intended. =(

Ah well. At least Techies come out soon! Though the sooner Auroth's released, the better.

I think this proves something beyond any doubt, and that is that the 'typical' method of begging sponsors for money for events just doesn't work. Crowdsourcing funding and the like builds up a MASSIVE amount of interest and respect not only for the players, but for the community at large. Hopefully, more events take this kind of idea.

As a scene, the Dota scene has always been far closer to the Fighting Games Community than the typical 'eSports' group because of this attitude that the players and viewers, no matter their skill levels, are very much as much a part of the community as anybody else. It's nice that Valve and BTS have started to realize this and really embrace it, as it simply works.

PS: Alliance Empire finals. Calling it now.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-14, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
All that money, and still nobody plays Venge or Silencer as a carry the way God intended. =(
Someone ran carry silencer a couple of weeks ago, i think it was during the BTS summit but I could be wrong. Back in April EGM ended up playing carry silencer after their early game strat failed and it went into the late game.

Would love to see a carry venge game but that's probably wishful thinking

Despite all the evidence against it i'm still putting all my chips on Navi in the grand final.

My top 5 will be DK, Alliance, EG, Navi, Empire. No idea who else, all the other teams are so up in the air and inconsistent at present it's really hard to say.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode