Titanfall - First Impressions - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-14, 05:44 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Shadow View Post
I actually had more fun outside of a titan than I did inside it.
Same here. Running around using the freerun mechanics was a lot of fun.

More fun was being the lone survivor out of your team if you lost. I felt amazing when it happened because it was mostly due to a camped evac zone that my team died.

Barely made it to evac on another occasion where about 3 others had also made it. Last few seconds before it took off, all the while getting shot at and one of my team mates using open chat calling at me to get in the shuttle. I barely made it with about a second or two (no bullshit) to spare before the shuttle took off. Fun stuff man.

I think the one thing I would like is if the ones who couldn't make it to the shuttle were able to do their last stands rather than the game ending with the shuttles escape or demise. That'd be awesome.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 03:51 PM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
. Its a shame Origin sucks...... but hey, I can live with it for Titanfall and BF4 with friends.
Considering BF4 was a complete let down and waste of money I must concur....Origin needs to be bought and dismantled.

Anyway saw the link and found the beta, seems all is in order. As expected from the original CoD2 design team(the best of all the CoD games; and that's saying a lot since I loath CoD with a F#$%^#$ passion) it's basic's were well covered the the gameplay flowed seamlessly from scene to scene.

The story line is very interesting, and I could see a sequel easily being made for the Campaign. If Halo and EVE Online had a baby this would be it. The story line can get very in-depth at times, and at others back out to help the player understand the larger picture. The maps though seemed a bit recycled to me......perhaps that's just the FPS genre; not sure.

The "Anti-Grav Warfare" style of gameplay, as my friend so deemed it, certainly was an interesting twist. I have not seen such tactics since Battlefield 2142, and on more than one occasion I was knifed from behind when some idiot came flying in the window via jetpack. After a short time you will adapt to this, and I managed to get the hang of run and gun though trying to kill in mid-air was as hard here as it is in Halo.

I managed to get a kill streak and call down a Titan; which caused me to squeal in sheer delight. However I was disappointed at how clumsy the Titan's are, and they seem less made for Combat roles and more Gun Platforms to back up the smaller guys. I went 1v1 with another Titan and was really annoyed how he constantly threw his shield up and tossed incoming ammo back at me. After going back and forth for a few minutes....and streets.....I managed to gun the bastard down only to have him land on top of me and jack the Titan as easily as stealing cookies from the cookie jar. Honestly....this PO'ed me instantly; causing me to troll the idiot for the remainder of the game.

In short ladies Titan Fall is an interesting, and fresh take on the FPS genre but still may need to be hashed out a bit if a sequel is to be made. Infantry combat is outstanding, Titans are a bit of a let down. Though with proper coordination, and firepower, your team can have some very intense BF2 like battles.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-14, 10:26 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

The fact that Titans are a support class as opposed to all-destroying megafuckers from hell is a deliberate and welcome design choice. It's not like CoD where he who gets killstreaks first WILL snowball uncontrollably. They trade improved firepower for being the liability of a far less agile, somewhat limited mobility vehicle/gun platform. As such, this is balanced and far preferable to any alternative.

They are fluid, but less so than the jetpack-using Pilots themselves. If they were more maneuverable they would outclass the infantry and that does not lend itself well to good gameplay.

Your complaints essentially boil down to "I got outplayed at several points and this angered me because the other player made better decisions that I could have equally made, but willingly chose not to."

As for how the game plays, the closest parallel I can really draw would probably be Dust 514. This is a very good thing.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-14, 05:36 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I just picked up Titanfall for the 360 and so far I'm positive on it. I haven't played any call of duty games, but I heard going into it that there is much similarity (obvious jet packing and giant robots excepted).

I'm a long time halo player, and most recently have run myself out of things to do in halo 4 . . . Other than maxing out weapon commendations.

It's been a big adjustment between the two games. There seems to be such a different rhythm to the combat, and one dies way, way faster in Titanfall, even in the eponymous titans.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-20-14, 05:50 AM

Titanfall impressions: part 2

So after about a month of playing I'm a fan. There are a few things which seem out of whack, but by and large it's a good game. I maxed out my level, regened (Titanfall prestige), and have tried out all of the weapons with most of their add-ons.

The most out of whack things are the basic carbine and the jump kick.

The carbine is the basic weapon pilots start with, and it remains the best all around weapon you have access to throughout the game. No other weapon does is quite so well, and in some cases it seems like weapons which should lose out 1 on 1 to the carbine don't.

Aaaaaand melee. All the melee seems a little awkward. It is one of the weakest parts of the game. It's very powerful, but the mechanics for who hits who, and who hits who first seem pretty fuzzy. Titans can also melee, which can be great fun . . . but also a little flaky.

"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:

Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-14, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
The carbine is the basic weapon pilots start with, and it remains the best all around weapon you have access to throughout the game. No other weapon does is quite so well, and in some cases it seems like weapons which should lose out 1 on 1 to the carbine don't.
That is a deliberate design choice. The default weapon can and should be the most middle of the road and standard weapon of them all. It's not the BEST. It's just the most 'jack of all, master of none' of the possibilities. And that is a good thing. There is no reason to start players at a disadvantage with a substandard weapon and then force them to grind up to viability. The rest of the loadout options are niche, but the carbine is always an option no matter your playstyle, and lends itself admirably to any playstyle without punishing, but similarly without rewarding above and beyond.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-14, 02:35 AM

Oh, I understand the rationale and I agree with it. But there's a difference between starting at "viability" and starting with arguably the BEST weapon. I just don't know if that makes sense. Especially because the regeneration requirements compel higher level players to stick to more restrictive role defined weapons.

Quote:

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-14, 02:59 AM

It's by no means the best weapon in any measurable sense. It's simply the most versatile. Remember that because of the very nature of it being default, it's also the weapon that statistically people will have the most practice with.

In an ideal game all weapons, variations and equipment would be open for use from the beginning. There is never a reason other than 'keep people playing' to section off gameplay choices in such a type of game. The entire concept of 'earning' valid playstyles in games is frankly a terrible design choice. There is a reason that Quake 3, CounterStrike and Tribes 2 still have the best multiplayer of any FPS to ever exist.

Hopefully, devs start realizing that sooner rather than later, and start making more games have unlockables limited to aesthetics and non-gameplay altering choices.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-14, 08:10 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

The game was great and I have played it a lot, but the low FOV on the Xbox 360 is giving me headaches.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-25-14, 09:51 AM

jams's Flag is: Wales

I like it but would have enjoyed an actual campaign rather than voice overs in the lobby while waiting for multiplayer matches to load....

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode