X Rebirth: Good or Bad? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-13, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!
X Rebirth: Good or Bad?

So I am here to shoot the question to you today folks about the new X-Rebirth PC sandbox game that was recently released. I have never played the "X" series, nor do I claim to understand it in any respects. However the game looks good, and apparently I've been told their are quite a few ships you can pilot and fight with.

Can anyone give me the general run down on this gaem, how it works, is it First/Third person, can you control only one ship or many, and your general overall opinion on the game. Thnxs

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-13, 07:37 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Rebirth is objectively bollocks and not worth even considering. It's just as bad as the first X (Which, make no mistake, was shit. No amount of nostalgia goggling will change this fact.)

If you want an X game, the only one worth playing is X3:TC and Albion Prelude. X2 had some interesting ideas which started to spawn, vanilla X3 was terribly implemented and missing a lot of good things, and it was finally made worth playing in TC. Albion Prelude helped a lot too.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
the only one worth playing is X3:TC and Albion Prelude.
See my thoughts exactly after wasting time watching numerous Gameplay trailers to ascertain that info. It looks a freak'in good game (like origional KOTOR) but seems to have no 3rd Person play; and limited freedom for a "sandbox."

Does TC and Albion have 3rd person with mutliple ship command?

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Rebirth is objectively bollocks and not worth even considering. It's just as bad as the first X (Which, make no mistake, was shit. No amount of nostalgia goggling will change this fact.)

If you want an X game, the only one worth playing is X3:TC and Albion Prelude. X2 had some interesting ideas which started to spawn, vanilla X3 was terribly implemented and missing a lot of good things, and it was finally made worth playing in TC. Albion Prelude helped a lot too.
So are you basing that on having 100% fully done everything in the game or did you play for an hour and got angry because you didn't get any cool toys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
See my thoughts exactly after wasting time watching numerous Gameplay trailers to ascertain that info. It looks a freak'in good game (like origional KOTOR) but seems to have no 3rd Person play; and limited freedom for a "sandbox."

Does TC and Albion have 3rd person with mutliple ship command?
Yes and yes. The biggest problem with TC and AP is that it's a uber grindfest.

They redid allot of stuff for rebirth which is a good thing as the game needed to be reworked.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 06:39 AM

After hearing a lot of good friends and fellow X series veterans speak these precise sentiments and end up highly disappointed with literally every aspect of this abortion of a game, I still tried it for myself.

Luckily, I logged into a friend's steam account and didn't drop money on it myself, because it confirmed all suspicions. This is not a good game by any accounts, but some people also think Two Worlds was not a steaming pile of shit, so there's no accounting for taste.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Rebirth is excellent other than the lack of options compared to previous offerings, the lack of choice, the massive railroading, the hilariously bad and unresponsive market, the godawful AI, the lacklustre feel and the boredom that comes with mistakenly trying to dogfight at any point ever. To say nothing of the shoehorned 'social' aspect of a crew it's quite literally impossible to give a flying fuck about at any point. That is to say, it looks pretty good and the sound isn't entirely terrible. They're the only things left.

Don't get me wrong, X Rebirth is a fucking brilliant successor to Dark Star One. However, X is not Dark Star One, and it's missing just about everything that makes X...well...X.

Not worth picking up. The options if you want a competent game are really to pick up TC and AP, or wait for Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous.

As for the production missions in the X3 series, some people like the production side. Setting up supply chains to automate it but feel like some badass industrial magnate was never my idea of fun, but it's lucky that's only one tiny facet of the game and a lot of people enjoyed it. It was easy to set up your own station and let it chug away. You at no point NEED to take any of these jobs. If you want to spend the entire game doing nothing but flying a Split fighter you're fully able to thrive doing so, and what's more you'll still be able to do things your own way. The storylines in the X games are entirely secondary, added in as reasons to explore. The missions? Just easy ways to make small amounts of money if you feel like being someone else's monkey. The proper and correct way to treat the X games are as the sandboxes they're meant to be. Set yourself a goal and achieve it, be it creating an empire by climbing these ranks and doing jobs for others or just taking to piracy and counting every fight you survive as another success. It's a shame to treat such a dynamic universe as a theme park blindly going from mission to mission.

Oh, and ejection rates? Good. Isn't it nice to have a game where you actually have to work and strive for something instead of being offered it on a silver plate? It adds to the experience of a living world, where not everybody will run away and give you what you want. In these games, you are not the mighty hero. You're just some other fucker with a ship who's being a dickhead. And I think I know the mission you're talking about, but the only thing the Xenon ships bring is disappointment anyway.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 01-03-14 at 06:51 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 07:19 AM

Rebirth gives the X feel without making it overwhelming. Having so many ship options in X3 is awesome but it detracts the value of each ship. Once you get a M3 you never need to personally fly a M5 again.

There are benefits to flying a single ship but unless you're experienced with the game you won't know that.

I won't argue the whole empire thing isn't cool but it gets to the point where you have no competition for anything. Plus without certain mods stations turn into a confusing mess.

Perhaps Rebirth isn't quite right but egosoft does learn from their mistakes and fixes them.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 09:50 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong. Egosoft DO learn from their mistakes, it just takes them several games to get to it.

I wouldn't say the single ship gives any benefits, really. It takes away a lot of what made the later (read: good) X games worth playing, and that was the variety and choice. Sure, drones are nice if you're shit at flying. Not having any of the complexity or choice makes it easier for new players to get into things, but it's simply not X. This was corrected in the later X games and it's the one thing they could have unfucked before release considering the practically unanimous backlash against it amongst the community.

Yes, there's complexity in the games, but that was pretty much the main reason to play them. Unless this is rectified there is literally nothing that the new X system does that'll retain players beyond the release of Star Citizen and the like. Perhaps during their latest cuts Egosoft got rid of the more competent and visionary devs, and as such know they can't make something to compete with the upcoming titles. Whatever the reason, people would have no problem with the game if it didn't shit all over an established and interesting franchise.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong. Egosoft DO learn from their mistakes, it just takes them several games to get to it.

I wouldn't say the single ship gives any benefits, really. It takes away a lot of what made the later (read: good) X games worth playing, and that was the variety and choice. Sure, drones are nice if you're shit at flying. Not having any of the complexity or choice makes it easier for new players to get into things, but it's simply not X. This was corrected in the later X games and it's the one thing they could have unfucked before release considering the practically unanimous backlash against it amongst the community.

Yes, there's complexity in the games, but that was pretty much the main reason to play them. Unless this is rectified there is literally nothing that the new X system does that'll retain players beyond the release of Star Citizen and the like. Perhaps during their latest cuts Egosoft got rid of the more competent and visionary devs, and as such know they can't make something to compete with the upcoming titles. Whatever the reason, people would have no problem with the game if it didn't shit all over an established and interesting franchise.
Technically having more than one ship isn't X, as the first game had only one playable ship.

To me ego is acknowledging that they made a game with a learning curve a few degrees lower than DF, and they are trying to fix it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-14, 05:13 PM

As said earlier in the thread, though, X was fucking atrocious even compared to other games that were its contemporaries, and Egosoft had the wisdom to fix their mistakes first time around with 2 and eventually 3, where a good game actually started to surface. So hopefully they can make a good game next time with the fairly passable engine Rebirth sits on.

It really is a rebirth of the series in the most traditional sense, it's just a shame that it was born so prematurely nobody would care if it was smothered.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-14, 11:34 PM

Quote:
As said earlier in the thread, though, X was fucking atrocious even compared to other games that were its contemporaries, and Egosoft had the wisdom to fix their mistakes first time around with 2 and eventually 3, where a good game actually started to surface. So hopefully they can make a good game next time with the fairly passable engine Rebirth sits on.

It really is a rebirth of the series in the most traditional sense, it's just a shame that it was born so prematurely nobody would care if it was smothered.
So like most X games,

a while back there was a deal for all the X3 games, I was told to ignore x3 reunion and start with terran conflict unless I cared about the story. If ego wants to start making the x games more like rebirth they'll figure it out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode