Dishonoured - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-13, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Default Dishonoured

On an impulse I ordered the Dishonored: Game of the Year edition as I found it for cheap, brand new online and I've run out of games to play (well that's a lie I have ME3 and Bioshock 1+2 sitting there but for some reason I just cannot get into any of them atm). I saw the trailer for this before it came out and I've been wanting to play it for a while, just wondering if any other heretics had given it a go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-13, 01:20 PM

Hey there Jacobite.

Yeah I've plugged in a good few hours on the game and I really enjoyed it!

It seems to me you have a some games that are really immersive and Dishonored is definitely that!

The game elements just work really well. You'll find yourself adopting to a preferred play style based on the powers you like.

The environments may be set. But there's still a nice little sandbox feel where there are multiple ways to get to your objective.

Some games you can play through once and be done. But with Dishonored there are a few endings based on your chaos score. Being really stealthy or just butchering your way through both have a different affect on the outcome. So its really cool to play through it a few times.

If you take either approach you'll find it challenging. Stealth is fun, combat is pretty well done as well!

I'd say play it for an hour or two. That'll be enough time to get a good feel for it.

Any other questions about it just fire away!
Hope this helps
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-13, 01:56 PM

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr's Flag is: Canada

Symbo actually hit the nail fairly accurately on the head with this one, but i do have a few gripes with the game:

when I got it i first thought it would be like other Bethesda games, heavily moddable, its not. i thought its a cool game with a great storyline set in a steampunk universe, and you can run through the game, like Symbo said, in both stealth and combat. but if you dont turn off all the notifications, its like it treats you like a child, its got notifications for every little thing in the game, if your being heard, if your close enough to snag an item from the enemies belts, etc. and all that notificatons just break the fun of the game imho. (thankfully in the options you can turn it all off)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-13, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Cheers guys, usually I'm into heavily story driven games, loved ME2 and the Last of Us was the best game I've ever played but for some reason ME3 is just not doing it for me. Something about having to sit through cutscreen after cutscreen is pissing me off. Bioshock I'm just finding really clunky.

Thanks for the heads up about the notifications. The differing play styles is what has attracted me to it, although hopefully it will be better than Dues Ex: Human Revolution.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-13, 03:49 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Werewolf_Arngeirr View Post
when I got it i first thought it would be like other Bethesda games, heavily moddable, its not.
Because it's not a Bethesda game. It's an Arkane Studios game. Bethesda only published it, and should not be given the credit for Arkane's excellent work. In the same light, you don't congratulate Napalm Records for the excellent guitar work on a new Alestorm album.

Quote:
but if you dont turn off all the notifications, its like it treats you like a child, its got notifications for every little thing in the game, if your being heard, if your close enough to snag an item from the enemies belts, etc. and all that notificatons just break the fun of the game imho. (thankfully in the options you can turn it all off)
That, I'd personally say, is a good thing. The game is heavily artistically stylized, and many of the things that are given notifications for bleed into the background and the scenery when not being actively used. While it works in less stylized games such as Thief to not have such things, Thief isn't deliberately made to have an almost-2d in places, artistic look about it.

In the long run, Dishonoured is a very good game, especially on higher difficulties. It's easily worth a few playthroughs just to try different things, but make no mistake, it is a deliberately and very well made linear game. As fantastic as it is, though, it's also not a touch on any of the Thief games released to date, but is and feels highly influenced by and a spiritual successor to them so is in very good company.

Besides, any game where the developers re-designed large areas of to accomodate the crazy things playtesters found, instead of simply stopping those things from happening is good by me. For instance, one playtester found that by throwing a crate, using your timestop ability to freeze it in mid-air, then using it as a floating stepping stone with your blink jump, they could get into an area that was otherwise inaccessible. So Arkane went back and looked for these things to accommodate such play.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-13, 03:55 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

I added it to a wishlist when it first came out in case the high prrioity items all went, then forgot about it again.

But, from what people are saying it sounds like it might be worth bumping up the order.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-13, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Because it's not a Bethesda game. It's an Arkane Studios game. Bethesda only published it, and should not be given the credit for Arkane's excellent work. In the same light, you don't congratulate Napalm Records for the excellent guitar work on a new Alestorm album.
I know its not a 'bethesda game' they only published it, but given Bethesda's Track Record with games (every game they have ever made has come out extremely moddable) I hoped that Arkane had taken a similar approach with Dishonored, which could have made an amazing steam punk world. as I really like the steampunk idealistic universe. maybe in the next game they might, though I have a feeling they wont.

Yes, the notifications 'fit' with the game and dont break the world, I was never saying they didnt. its not about if they 'fit' in the game or breaking immersion, its about difficulty, have them on, and your basically given the world information on a silver platter. have you ever watched Sequelitis on megaman?

all the objectives remind me of the little girl that pops up.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-13, 10:13 PM

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-13, 12:31 AM

Bit late - I was severely disappointed with the game.

Great looking, good enough story. Those are it's perks. But, you'll play it through once and then never again. Perhaps not so bad if you're getting the game of the year addition, I bought it when it was brand new and feel I never got my 45 quid's worth out of it.

There is one of the outsider 'powers' that at first allows you to slow time, then on an upgrade, stop time altogether for a short period of time. This power, alongside the 'blink' teleportation power and the power that allows you to see through walls are all you need to play the game and remain completely unseen - thus, get the 'happy' ending.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode