Eternal crusade thoughts? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-13, 11:59 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
If its Sub based, assuming its damn good and peoples willingness to pay, I'm sure it'll do fine taking into account just how big Warhammer 40K's fanbase is. Obviously its not going to compare to WoW, but why should it have to? Completely different universes and completely different games. Doesn't make for a good comparison between the two.
I'm using Wow because it's the only really successful subscription model. Nearly all other MMO's in recent years have launched as FTP or moved to FTP.

Star wars has a much bigger fan base than 40k, and SWTOR's Pay to play model failed within a year. WoW only works because they had the right product at the right time, and people still pay to play it because they have been doing so for the last 8 years.

FTP is not a bad thing though, if it's done correctly it's more beneficial for the game and the players. LOTRO has gone from strength to strength as a FTP.

I've actually just been looking through the most recent FAQ they are now planning to launch Eternal Crusade as a one off purchase with a FTP option.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Last edited by Varakir; 11-08-13 at 12:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-13, 12:00 AM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
I'm using Wow because it's the only really successful subscription model. Nearly all other MMO's in recent years have launched as FTP or moved to FTP.

Star wars has a much bigger fan base than 40k, and SWTOR's Pay to play model failed within a year. WoW only works because they had the right product at the right time, and people still pay to play it because they have been doing so for the last 8 years.

FTP is not a bad thing though, if it's done correctly it's more beneficial for the game and the players. LOTRO has gone from strength to strength as a FTP.
I wont complain if its free to play, as long as if they do end up putting in a cash shop, it doesn't become pay to win. I hate that crap.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-13, 08:01 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
I wont complain if its free to play, as long as if they do end up putting in a cash shop, it doesn't become pay to win. I hate that crap.
100% with you on that. There's plenty of cosmetic items they could use for a cash shop, and if the game is good people will be happy to pay for them.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-14, 06:35 PM

Ninjurai's Flag is: USA

I'm excited to finally play a game for 40k where you can be something other than space Marines in an action RPG style. I'm looking forward to the Eldar, and Ork storyline, and I'm really hoping for a neat selection of classes. This game could be epic.

"Matt Ward is a veteran of a millionbillion battles and once destroyed an entire sector when he sneezed and farted at the same time."
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-14, 07:02 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Hoping this game will be little different and not just use same old "rules system" as in other games. Been seriously burned out of playing MMOs anymore. Just same games and different skin on top of it.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-14, 01:29 AM

Apparently only the basic ork boys with be f2p, with all other selections needing a one-time purchase. Not each, just overall. To be clear. I'd link to the interview, but I can't find it. But there is supposed to be giant maps, vehicles, lots of customization, and a need for tactics. From what I've seen, it looks a lot like the Halo multiplayer.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 12:58 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

I can't remember the precise source, but so far, everything they've said so far makes it sound basically like a third person Planetside. Each race/faction will be somewhat geared towards a certain playstyle but still open enough to play as you will. For example, SM will prefer straight-up combat whereas Eldar will have something of a focus on lighter weapons but enhanced stealth capabilities. That kind of thing.

Because of this, and because of the territory-control and resource gaining nature the devs talked about, they suggest factions who may not get along in the strictest sense, may have to begrudgingly work together to easily overcome a concerted push by another. Of course, the possibility is there to lone wolf it no matter what, but even so.

Microtransactions will probably invovle aesthetic options such as relic armour and the like, but from what little the devs have said, they're intending to go for a one-time purchase for the core game (and presumably some customization opportunity) with myriad impressive aesthetic options in the store. Which, y'know, is completely fair do's seeing as server space and constant maintenance that MMOs require is by NO means cheap or sustainable off one-time purchases in the long run.

The advantage here that this game has over, say, Planetside 2 is that they have far more leeway with customization beyond just colour. From a balance/recognition perspective, no matter what shiny, ancient, pimped out shoulderplates or torsos you slap them into, a Marine silhouette still looks significantly different to your garden variety Chaos silhouette. Even between 'classes' if they're going that way instead of individual loadouts, a cursory glance at an Assault marine in the distance looks very different to a normal marine or a heavy weapon laden Devastator.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode