Many thoughts upon a world for gamers. - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
There's really no need to cater to casuals if your environment and gameplay is good enough. People will find stuff to do that they can achieve.

I played WoW from launch and I didn't go to molten core until well after BC came out. I wasn't bothered that i couldn't go raiding, i didn't have the time or the schedule to accomodate it, so i accepted that and did something else.

My first epic was a crafted robe that i spent weeks farming in contested areas, constantly watching my back for alliance. I traded with random players to get materials, and had to find a player selling the recipe through word of mouth to make the bloody thing.

When arenas came out you could spend 20 minutes a week doing PVP, and get an epic every 3 weeks with only mediocre success. I'm sure you can guess which was more satisfying to equip.
maybe i used the wrong words, when I say cater to the casual i dont mean just give them easy outs to get the same thing that might need many more hours to aquire otherwise, I am talking about just what you are referring to in the first place, you found things you could do in WoW as a more casual player outside of just dungeon crawling. if I wouldnt cater to casuals, stories like yours, wouldnt happen. I want to give people who only have a couple hours of play, a meaningful time of play, not necessarily remove the effort required for some actions, but putting in other rewards that can be obtained by the casual as well as the hardcore, even if the casual does not have a lot of time to play. So give them rewards for hunting down rare ore deep in caves they can run into on their own. Give them puzzles to solve in the most akward of places that might yield mighty treasure behind its walls.

i like giving people things to find, places to discover. I am not thinking of giving anyone an easy ride, so dont mistake my words there. I do think there is a need to cater to casuals though, but it has to be done in the right way, make goals that seem obtainable to both. spending a couple hours in a group of 40 people trying to remain organized, you might not have time for, a 30 minute dungeon run, made simple to get into because of dungeon finder, or a small pvp match in which you are teleported into a high density zone to wage war against your enemies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 12:55 AM

Shas'Ui's Flag is: USA

Genetically humans are a social species, we require interaction with other real people to strive....soooooo since I never had friends to play WoW with I hated wandering around caves, jungles, and deserts alone for 50+ levels. But the battlegrounds and dungeons were the greatest thing ever. I also found myself just walking around main cities for hours at a time just talking to people to make up for the loneliness of the world

What if you implemented having to some quest lines that require a group like tank, healer, dps, and support etc. not all quests of course I know plenty of people like soloing things.

01000110011011110111001000100000011101000110100001 10010100100000011001110111001001100101011000010111 01000110010101110010001000000110011101101111011011 110110010000100001

Last edited by Shas'Ui; 10-23-13 at 12:58 AM.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 01:41 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

After ready your idea WereWolf it sounds a lot like the world of Sword Art Online; the Anime series. Look into it, and Accel World, and you might find some inspiration.

I will agree the "sandbox/Open World" genre has become stale in recent years but I feel with the next Gen consoles you will see it come roaring back. Especially since all people want are Sandbox games it will become trademark to adapt new games(Regardless of Genre) into a form of Sandbox.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
After ready your idea WereWolf it sounds a lot like the world of Sword Art Online; the Anime series. Look into it, and Accel World, and you might find some inspiration.

I will agree the "sandbox/Open World" genre has become stale in recent years but I feel with the next Gen consoles you will see it come roaring back. Especially since all people want are Sandbox games it will become trademark to adapt new games(Regardless of Genre) into a form of Sandbox.
actually quite a fan of Accel World. have not checked out world of Sword Art online. they sound great for japanese games, im but those games always get... polluted with japanese subculture. now dont get me wrong, we have our own subculture nuances added into our own works, but thats just the thing. I find some of their gaming choices very... disturbing even if I love some of their greater objectives they have put into their games
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 01:15 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm not going to lie here. As interesting as the concept is, it wouldn't work. It has none of the draw of a themepark MMO like WoW, where you know what you're doing and why, can easily trace your progression, and can be as involved as you want, nor does it have the scale and free-roaming nature of a sandbox like Eve where you're setting your own goals and not being dictated to at any level of play to do a certain thing just to be able to play.

Instead, things sound like they would be dictated to the player, and the ideas and 'consequences' of an event sound incredibly shoehorned and not conducive to fun.

The zombie scenario, for instance. If there is a certain thing you HAVE to do to make sure the game is not impacted negatively for yourself and other players, the game stops feeling like a game and becomes work. Not to mention that if people aren't taking part in an event or going to an area, that is pretty much always indicative of poor planning and design of the area, the enemies or the quest as a whole. All of which mean you'd be punishing players for your own development failures.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode