Many thoughts upon a world for gamers. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 08:26 PM

Znoz's Flag is: Latvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Werewolf_Arngeirr View Post
im definitely aiming to make something different then the current status quo.
Mindset of "gamers\players\clients\users" must also be changed - ask someone what is mmo - you'll get answer about RPG " third person, loot, raids, guilds, pvp, guild wars, auction, achievements etc.".

Maybe Star Citizen will change something , or survival mmo like DayZ.

What i want in new mmo's is to raise my skill, not lvl of my character (like knowing secret combo-wombo in old console-fighter games, and using it to defeat friends) - when knowledge of game is better than character stats. When you win battle not because you have huge axe +1000dmg, but because you know where and when to hit, and where block or run away.
I want see different equipment, not crap what looks cool and unbreakable, but can be penetrated by rusty 1lvl-noob knife . I want hammer blow deal damage to it, break and crack it depending from how my enemy stroke me and how much energy he used. I want that damage to affect my movements and fighting capabilities.
Or something like game physics what affects my ship\plane when i fly with burned engines and half-broken wing. And when knowledge of maneuvers can save my life (i think WarThunder is good in this, interesting and fresh).

And i played a lot of bad mmo's, but good guild sometimes made game 100% better despite all negative experience. So ther must be more interaction between players, but without need of that - like in LoL\dota - where in team is :You, your friend, another one, and two dumb-feeders who break your game. Or Planerside2, where you can play alone , joining random squads.
Being part of alliance, rivalry, sieges, server-scale dramas is always awesome.

MMO also needs new business models p2p, p2w, and f2p are like 3 old whales(maybe f2p is not so old and desperate) that hold all industry. Valve's Community-Market is interesting thing - you can play different games, gain items and sell it there for real money - they only take small %.

What? Boo is outraged! See his fury! It's small, so look close. Trust me, it's there.

Last edited by Znoz; 10-22-13 at 08:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

The_Werewolf_Arngeirr's Flag is: Canada

well like I said, I want to remove "Leveling" "gear-requirements" and "classes" or change them into something more fitting into a new age MMO. I have most of what I need already thrown into my world rules regarding these three major issues.

The problems are that current MMOs are, sadly, is their "entertainment" value actually resides solely on "Leveling" and "Gear" with "classes" being a crutch to make the other two easier to design.

So how do we correct these problems? I want to remove leveling almost completely, I want to make armor for armor, not for stats. I want to make weapons for damage, not for stats. I want to remove classes and expand it into roles, so you pick the role you want to preform, then you specialize yourself through the talent trees to fufill that role in a way thats fun for you.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

in reality, all I need is a company that can build a game to my mental standards. the rest of the game is pretty solidly complete in my brain, bringing the "requirements" of current MMOs, bringing in reasons to work together, variables to make the game interesting without real "levels" to make the game easier to balance.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 08:56 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

The most important thing is to make an interesting, dense and varied world to explore, customisable characters with fun abilities and plenty of stuff to do. That's all you need.

Recent MMO's are doing this, but they're spending an equal or greater amount of time accomodating their players as well. Holding their hands through quests and areas, making sure any class and spec is good in all situations, isn't hindered by anything etc etc

Helping players just ends up shielding players in an MMO. Giving them what they want often means they realise they don't want anything anymore, and there's no reason to stay any longer.

If you make an awesome quest in a hidden cave that only 1 in 30 players find, you create something interesting that players can talk about and show to other players.

The current approach is to make the same quest, but have a guy standing right by the water with a "Go in the 'secret' cave" quest, and as soon as you take it you'll get a quest marker showing you where it is.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
The most important thing is to make an interesting, dense and varied world to explore, customisable characters with fun abilities and plenty of stuff to do. That's all you need.

Recent MMO's are doing this, but they're spending an equal or greater amount of time accomodating their players as well. Holding their hands through quests and areas, making sure any class and spec is good in all situations, isn't hindered by anything etc etc

Helping players just ends up shielding players in an MMO. Giving them what they want often means they realise they don't want anything anymore, and there's no reason to stay any longer.

If you make an awesome quest in a hidden cave that only 1 in 30 players find, you create something interesting that players can talk about and show to other players.

The current approach is to make the same quest, but have a guy standing right by the water with a "Go in the 'secret' cave" quest, and as soon as you take it you'll get a quest marker showing you where it is.
you hit the nail on the head. while I some hand holding is necessary (a good example of this would be dungeon finder) I agree there is too much hand holding in games of late.

I actually want to build what I call "variable" zones, Have different variables that change what spawns at any given time depending on the presence within the zone. A simplified idea of this would be to set each area with purposeful Points of Interest that can be "captured" and quests change as you push forward into the darkness. or if a Point of Interest is ingored by players for a long time it falls into NPC hands, Mercs, Zombies, Spiders, something. if you leave a zone alone for long enough the NPCs might end up over running it and moving out into other zones, this is the kind of thing I want to impliment for zones.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

oh and on the idea of quests, I would make EVERY quest in the game daily, set a limit on quests per day just to give the "casuals" something to not whine about, and have the variable zones have the quests change along with them. so you may not see the same quest twice in the same area for weeks.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 09:59 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Werewolf_Arngeirr View Post
oh and on the idea of quests, I would make EVERY quest in the game daily, set a limit on quests per day just to give the "casuals" something to not whine about, and have the variable zones have the quests change along with them. so you may not see the same quest twice in the same area for weeks.
Setting a limit on quests per day would be a pretty objectively terrible idea. Essentially, it's arbitrarily limiting the potential progression or gameplay value that a person may want to make so that they're held back. It'd be like saying "That's quite enough playing for one day. Piss off until tomorrow." Also, constantly changing things around to that degree is probably a bad thing, as it'd limit any reason to explore the world further. After all, what's the point in exploring to find new things if the world changes around you to bring said different things to you?

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Setting a limit on quests per day would be a pretty objectively terrible idea. Essentially, it's arbitrarily limiting the potential progression or gameplay value that a person may want to make so that they're held back. It'd be like saying "That's quite enough playing for one day. Piss off until tomorrow." Also, constantly changing things around to that degree is probably a bad thing, as it'd limit any reason to explore the world further. After all, what's the point in exploring to find new things if the world changes around you to bring said different things to you?
this is the wrong kind of thinking though, im talking making serious concequences for the world if part of it are left untouched. think of a zone in WoW, like redridge being completely over run by zombies, so much so that they start spilling into goldshire, then onto Stormwind. now think if those zombies would all be designed to push towards civilization, and you end up with a random zombie outbreak on your hands that almost never stops due to the zone that started all this being left alone. Add to that I would make quests purposely send people around to various places, and zones too populated with players would actually have their hostile NPC count lowered. so more players = less npcs.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 10:14 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

There's really no need to cater to casuals if your environment and gameplay is good enough. People will find stuff to do that they can achieve.

I played WoW from launch and I didn't go to molten core until well after BC came out. I wasn't bothered that i couldn't go raiding, i didn't have the time or the schedule to accomodate it, so i accepted that and did something else.

My first epic was a crafted robe that i spent weeks farming in contested areas, constantly watching my back for alliance. I traded with random players to get materials, and had to find a player selling the recipe through word of mouth to make the bloody thing.

When arenas came out you could spend 20 minutes a week doing PVP, and get an epic every 3 weeks with only mediocre success. I'm sure you can guess which was more satisfying to equip.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-22-13, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
well, yeah, if I limit you to, say, 25-50 quests, but seperate the quests to be a couple per area, and the quests to be longer to complete, say 30 minutes to an hour per quest, even if you can do multiple quests at once to reduce the load time of the quests, the chances of you actually hitting the limit are slim to none. And the limit would simply be there as a thought of "okay, you have been on long enough to do these many quests today, GO THE F TO SLEEP, come back tomorrow". using World of Warcraft as an example, i saw many people do many things in an end game section, outside of completing quests. Crafting Rare materials into gear, running dungeons with groups, running PVP.

like I said, its not about bringing changes to the peoples doorsteps, its causing people to make changes in the world. you have players venture out into a zone polluted with a lot of Enemy Players the quests will be more pvp oriented and either ask you take back an enemies POI or kill the enemy. Or you could avoid the enemy and delve into a more NPC populated area which turns more into quests, as the war is somehow avoiding it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode