Help building a PC! - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-13, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England

Watched your tut metalhandkerchief
And I'm still not 100% sold on ease of PC building
How much do you guys think I'll save with self building over prebuilt?
After all, money has a rather exquisite way of talking don't you think?

Did you know that if you say 'gullible' slowly, it sounds like 'oranges'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-13, 10:11 PM
Innovative Forge-Lord

Cypher871's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiro the avenger! View Post
And cypher, when I tried to piece together the awesome PC that you designed, some of the componants weren't there, or rather I couldn't find them
Such as the case off the top of my head
I have just been back through the build Kiro and I found all the components I mentioned. The case is actually the first one in the list mate.

If there is a scroll bar on the section you are currently choosing items from make sure you scroll down to see what other components are there. The speakers section also has the mouse and keyboards on it. The power supply section has the fans on it etc etc.

To be honest with you, the savings you will make by building a pc yourself are fairly negligible. If your not really into building pc's and have even the slightest doubt leave it to the professionals...you will get a system that is ready to go, thoroughly tested and still relatively cheap without the worry.

The only thing I would add to the build, (and I completely forgot about it) is a good AV package. In my professional opinion stay away from both Symantec/Norton and McAfee products...they install a lot of crap that slows a pc down.

My recommendation would be F-Secure Internet Security 2014 - I use it myself, its simple and effective, cheap AND you can try it free for 30 days.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-13, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I might of missed it as I'm on my iPod
And how much would the AV be?
And I'll certainly get it prebuilt as it looks simple in a compacted way if it makes sense?
Like I can see if you get that goes there, it'll be easy, but I don't know that that goes there, so I think it'll be pretty hard
And one thing I don't understand is what 'overclocking' is, is it just using it for prolonged amounts of time? Or something speacial?

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-19-13, 11:24 PM
Innovative Forge-Lord

Follow the linky mate...F-secure is currently 26.95 for a year for a single pc...you just download it once you have paid for it.

Overclocking is a bit of a 'black-art'. Essentially, any computer (be it an iPad, PC, Xbox whatever) pushes voltage around its mainboard in cycles. The voltage is either on or off to represent a bits status...one or zero...binary, the basics of any computing. The more cycles you can complete in any given amount of time the more work can be done.

Cycles are measured in hertz (so 1 Megahertz is 1 million cycles per second, 1 Gigahertz is 1 billion cycles per second). The Intel i3 4130 3.4GHz specced on your pc build is therefore running at 3.4 billion hertz per second...this is why you need a cooler sitting on it with thermal paste to aid the heat transfer...without it your pc would constantly shut down to prevent the processor turning itself into a molten heap

Both the processor and the memory have to match up the cycles used and to do this they have a little heartbeat called the clock...kind of like a metronome, it allows the timing of the cycles to synchronize.

Overclocking basically allows you to tweek the clock cycles to make the processor and memory speed up and therefore increase the speed and efficiency of the system. There is a down-side to this though. Pushing the processor, memory and mainboard beyond their limits causes heat and stress...finely tuning the system to get the best performance without frying everything is the 'art' I mentioned.

Personally, I have never bothered with it - it leads to a whole sub-genre of pc modding and cooling. I can play MW3 quite happily on my screaming death machine without tweeking a thing

Last edited by Cypher871; 10-19-13 at 11:31 PM.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-13, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Oh, ok
And I didn't realise that was a link, my bad
I could probs afford that too
I can't think of any further problems, until I go to buy it that is!
I'll get on that ASAP though once I have the all clear

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-13, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Just to be a dick, buy things have changed again, and do you guys think I could get a decent PC, that'll handle most RTS games, and maybe things like warthunder for 400?
No biggy if I can't, I'll just have to wait a big longer, or beg harder. However I have a reputation to upkeep, and beggings not the coolest thing ever =D

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-13, 09:23 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd agree with cypher - whilst building is cheaper, more flexible and worthwhile, it won't save you tons of money. Also if a part gets delivered faulty it can be a pain in the ass to work out where the fault is, even for someone with experience.

As for the 400 budget, i think you might struggle to get everything including a decent sized monitor for that. You could try second hand - Ebay is occasionally good for local 'pickup only' deals if you know what to look for, but it can also be a bit of a gamble.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-13, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Ebayed it, and wondered if any of these were any good, cos I do t know what I need

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-30-13, 12:14 AM
Innovative Forge-Lord

Just be very careful if you decide to go for something from ebay. Do your homework, make sure whoever you buy from has good reputation and read other customers comments.

The other thing to note is read everything very carefully. For example, the pc's from ViBox and The PC Customiser DO NOT include an operating system so you will need to add that into your calculations. Also check on what kind of warranty they come with...
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-21-13, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Just to resurrect this but I just went to order your thing cypher (I'm slow) and they only have AMD processors now, so what should I get?
Plus it's only 525.01 now, so have I done something wrong or what?

Last edited by kiro the avenger!; 11-21-13 at 07:38 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode