Saints Row IV: Stupidity on a Whole New Scale (Warning SPOILERS!!!) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-13, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!
Default Saints Row IV: Stupidity on a Whole New Scale (Warning SPOILERS!!!)

So was I the only one dispapointed with this game? Having been a fan of the series and seen them evolve into games of awesome, simply stupid fun I was highly upset at it.

The game follows you, the character from Saints Row III, who has now become the President of the U.S. In effect you have "Gangsterized," the U.S Capitol (I found the "White Crib" to be quite amusing) along with the Saints and your crew from the last game. Suddenly the Zin, an alien empire, come and attack the "White Crib" and you are launched into a virtual world that is a recreation of Steelport from the last game. In the process you pull an "Independance Day" and save the human race.....the end!

This game was heavily, HEAVILY recycled, and almost everything from missions to the map itself where exactly as the last game. Steelport hadn't really changed, nothing really new in turns of equiptment, weapons, or cars. Also the new "abilities" really ruined the whole GTA feeling and made having vehicles practically useless(except for collecting). Additionally it's a machovistic world, with character creation being the same as the last game...plus/minus a few new things.

Glossing over the GTA factor I felt playing this game very similar to the Prototype series; which were good. You gain abilities as you moive through the "simulated" Steelport such as smashing, high jump, wall running, Freeze/Fire, and Telekenysis. On the way you can try a few of the "new" guns out, like the all favorite "Dubstep Cannon" (which did have it's perks). The only difference was Saints Row is not Prototype.....and never should be.

Additionally alot of the character creation was recycled from the previous games. Even after checking I found a good portion of the voice overs had been borrowed heavily from SR 3. The only addition, Planet Zin (ahahha, very funny.....not) had a few humors garbs of clothing to try on.

"Recycled Garbage," ladies and Gentlemen is how to quickloy sum the game up. I would welcome comments and thought from my fellow Heretics on the matter. If I were doing a Game Review this game would easily sit below the 6.5 marker; making it not even worth the price.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-13, 02:38 AM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

There are aspects of the game that are recycled. But it's not as bad of a game as your making it out to be. There are a bunch of new guns and outfits.
My major complaint with the game is that it felt like a bunch of movies and other games smashed together as a game. For example: The ship you and your crew are on screams Mass Effect. When you transport from the ship to the virtual world (or back) it's like the Matrix. In fact, a lot of the game felt like the "world" of Matrix.
All in all, it felt like they took a step away from the Saints world where they had funny jabs at other movies/games to make something that felt/looked like other movies/games worlds.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-13, 04:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Having been a fan of the series and seen them evolve into games of awesome, simply stupid fun I was highly upset at it.
Honestly, if this is your take on how the series has been evolving then I think you've missed a major point. While its true that the first game is the most serious, and progressive ones have cut a bit loose, each one as a whole has remained fairly serious. Hell the later games did a great job of blending some serious stuff with comedy (good examples would be the death of Carlos for serious and the boss and Gat discussing stripper poles while resting their legs on the squatters they just murdered as silly in the second game; or the cargo plane section of The Third for both serious and silly, considering how the boss takes it down.)

Quote:
In the process you pull an "Independance Day" and save the human race.....the end!
Actually you pull more of a Matrix, since earth gets atomized and all. Plus there are two endings, the bad one being kinda funny in and of itself while the true ending feels like its making fun of deus ex machinas.

Quote:
This game was heavily, HEAVILY recycled,
Yeah..so was stuff in Saints Row 2, and The Third; its less serious GTA with gangs, poking fun at various tropes and genres, and smatterings of serious elements to hammer certain things home (like Gats loyalty to the Saints throughout the series.)

Quote:
and almost everything from missions to the map itself where exactly as the last game. Steelport hadn't really changed,
Well its not like the second game where the Saints lost control of Stillwater and Ultor was able to make radical changes; or The Third which featured a completely different city altogether.

Quote:
Also the new "abilities" really ruined the whole GTA feeling and made having vehicles practically useless(except for collecting).
Considering the series has diverged a fair bit from GTA since the second game, this isn't to surprising. After all, how many GTA games are about you rebuilding your gang empire and ruling a city? Most GTA games are about revenge, with little having been achieved beyond that goal (If I remember right, only Tommy had an 'empire' by the end of his story.)

Quote:
The only difference was Saints Row is not Prototype.....and never should be.
Don't worry, its not; at most it is a more GTA oriented take on that series, or rather a wackier version of crackdown.

Also, I found it absolutely hilarious how they deus ex'd Gat back in. Abducted because he would have been able to single-handedly defeat the invasion; priceless.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-13, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Hell the later games did a great job of blending some serious stuff with comedy (good examples would be the death of Carlos for serious and the boss and Gat discussing stripper poles while resting their legs on the squatters they just murdered as silly in the second game; or the cargo plane section of The Third for both serious and silly, considering how the boss takes it down.)
I don't think I have. Sure it's progressively changed, I get that, but since SR 1 I really don't see the seriousness in it. In GTV 4 Nicko is serious, working his way up to the top through missions that remind me of a replay of bad Mobster movies. Saints Row seems more casual, and comedian as you say. SR 3 , while fun to play, was just pure stupid fun with typical missions that reminded me of SR 2. Only difference was the cool new tech, and the unique story line that blended Gangster with Mission Impossible. SR 4 paled in comparison to that, and thats the point I'm trying to slam home. Though I understand and respect your decision darkreever; I just see a bad game overall. Has the COD syndrome written all over it.

Quote:
you pull more of a Matrix,
Yes.....though I still think the hero's not really a Nero complex. The Earth still gets "saved" in the end by a guy in a space ship. But that my view honestly, yours is just as equally valid

Quote:
Considering the series has diverged a fair bit from GTA since the second game,
True

Quote:
deus ex'd Gat back in
I actually agree, though it made me made when they had him in the Shandi mission. I was looking forward to more Epic Gat quotes

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-13, 12:56 AM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

I finished the game completely yesterday. And it was a hell of a lot of fun. The ending sort of disappointed me, but overall, it was everything I was looking for out of Saints Row-- ridiculous shenannigans (with superpowers this time!) and the dildo bat.

ASK ME HOW TO GET 20% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!
My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-13, 01:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Sure it's progressively changed, I get that, but since SR 1 I really don't see the seriousness in it.
Well then lets look at some more serious examples from the second and third games:

In two there is the death of both Carlos and Aisha. The first of these is someone who helped you break out of prison, joined up because of you, and is in charge of helping take down one of the gangs. Over the course of that he gets captured and then tied and dragged by a truck through the streets. His injuries are so bad that there is no saving him, and so the boss has to kill him to ease his suffering.

Carlos may have been little more than just another saint for the most part, but the boss is directly responsible for him being targeted and ultimately getting killed. For both the character and a player this has a fair bit of weight, since now taking that gang down is a personal thing.

Same can be said for the death of Aisha, who becomes a casualty as things escelate with another gang, resulting in Gats girlfriend paying the price.

In The Third, Shaundi takes Gats death rather hard, considering how she was in the second game. Its again a nod to the series handling some serious stuff with the humour.

Quote:
In GTV 4 Nicko is serious, working his way up to the top through missions that remind me of a replay of bad Mobster movies.
Niko, like Claude from GTA 3, is motivated almost primarily by vengeance; he's seeking out the man/men who betrayed him as a soldier.

Quote:
Has the COD syndrome written all over it.
Weren't you citing call of duty as a good game in another thread just the other day?

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-13, 04:50 AM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

One thing that is seriously being over looked is that Saints Row is NOT meant to be a GTA game. SR is an over the top, funny ass game that has some "serious" tones in it as you try to raise your gang to the top. GTA is aimed more at a "real" type of atmosphere. Comparing the two is not really fair to either one.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-13, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Weren't you citing call of duty as a good game in another thread just the other day?
Did I? I have always hated COD, and have had a aggressive hatred of the game since COD: MW2. If I did it was probably to cite it as an example of "shit gone bad" so to speak. If you can find anywhere I did cite COD and claimed it as a "great and fun" game I'll personally smear an uncooked sausage across my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki1416 View Post
One thing that is seriously being over looked is that Saints Row is NOT meant to be a GTA game.
True.....and yet not. The "GTA Syndrome" as I like to call it follows games that base the player as a gang/mob member in a Metropolitan area on the idea of rising to the top. Saints Row and GTV are the prime examples but I would also cite Mafia II, God Father II, Scarface, and my all time favorite Sleeping Dogs (GTV in China, Hell Yeah!!!).

When I played SR 1 it took me back to the original GTA series like Vice City and San Andreas. For me SR was what San Andreas successor should have looked like, minus the humor. It was fun, cartoon-ish looking, with fun mini-games and missions to enjoy. Thus I compare SR and GTA as one; very similar games with similar game experiences. I've cited this in a few game reviews I've done for Blogs, and Gaming Informer.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-13, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Did I? I have always hated COD, and have had a aggressive hatred of the game since COD: MW2. If I did it was probably to cite it as an example of "shit gone bad" so to speak. If you can find anywhere I did cite COD and claimed it as a "great and fun" game I'll personally smear an uncooked sausage across my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki1416 View Post
One thing that is seriously being over looked is that Saints Row is NOT meant to be a GTA game.
True.....and yet not. The "GTA Syndrome" as I like to call it follows games that base the player as a gang/mob member in a Metropolitan area on the idea of rising to the top. Saints Row and GTV are the prime examples but I would also cite Mafia II, God Father II, Scarface, and my all time favorite Sleeping Dogs (GTV in China, Hell Yeah!!!).

When I played SR 1 it took me back to the original GTA series like Vice City and San Andreas. For me SR was what San Andreas successor should have looked like, minus the humor. It was fun, cartoon-ish looking, with fun mini-games and missions to enjoy. Thus I compare SR and GTA as one; very similar games with similar game experiences. I've cited this in a few game reviews I've done for Blogs, and Gaming Informer.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-13, 10:05 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

So it's recycled saints row 3, and it's similar to gta. Who cares? It's fun and ridiculous. If you're looking for "serious" saints row has made itself the opposite so of course you're not going to like it. But for people like me who are content to run around an open world beating up furries for fun and profit with superpowers and a goddamn dildo bat... It's pretty awesome and a hell of a lot of fun. I think the reason it has a recycled feel to it is because it was originally going to be an expansion for saints row 3 and they just fleshed it out into a full 15-20-ish hour game instead.

ASK ME HOW TO GET 20% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!
My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode