Advice for building a decent gaming PC - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-13, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Default Advice for building a decent gaming PC

I'm in the process of picking out parts for a gaming PC I'm going to build. From some Youtube guides I've watched the actual building looks pretty straight forward. The problem is I'm not particularly techsavvy and choosing the right parts to use is confusing me a bit. I do have a rough idea of what I'm going to get.

What I'm after is a decent PC for primarily gaming, but also some uni work. I'm looking for something around $400-600 (Just the tower, not including software), that will last me 2+ years and with some upgrades maybe longer. I'm not sure if that's an entirely reasonable goal.

I'm going to be sourcing most of my parts from these stores:
Welcome to PLE Computers Online
NetPlus Micro Computers
And maybe also these:
Online Computer Store in Perth, Brisbane & Melbourne | Austin Computers
Foxcomp Technology - Computer Hardware and Software Super Store - O'Connor Perth Western Australia
Storm Computers
These are also an option if I'm desperate:
MEGABUY - Buy Cheap Computer Parts Computer Hardware & Software Online
Techbuy Australia - Computer Hardware, Computer Parts in Australia | Techbuy Australia

CPU
For the CPU I'm reading a lot of guides and people recommending this intel core. It looks to be fairly cheap, and according to what I've read it's fairly powerful.

The other option would be this AMD quad core processor. From what I understand this is actually an APU which incorporates both a CPU and a GPU meaning I wouldn't need to purchase a graphics card which would save about a $100 compared to the intel core. As I understand it I could still add a graphics card to this.

1) What are the advantages and disadvantages of each of these processors?
2) I've read that most games like a dual core and any extra is just overkill, how true is that?
3) What exactly is Overclocking?

Motherboard
From what I understand this choice will depend on what CPU I pick. My questions here are:
1) What are some good motherboard brands to look for.
2) What are some motherboard brands to steer clear of.
3) Is there a 'type' (eg: B75M) of motherboard I'm looking for? (I know to pick the correct CPU socket.)
4) What features am I looking for in a motherboard (I've seen USB3.0, SATA2 and SATA3 mentioned as things to look for.)

GPU
I'm not really sure what to look for in a graphics card or what brands are good, I've just been looking at this one because it was highly recommended:
eVGA GeForce GTX650

RAM
From what I've read 4-8GB of RAM is the way to go, I've been looking at corsair's vengeance RAM as it's apparently a good brand. Some questions I have are:
1) Good/bad brands?
2) Is 8GB RAM overkill or will 4GB do?

Hardrive
The hardrive was the easiest thing to pick with most guides recommending a Western Digital Caviar Blue for an entry level PC. My only questions are:
1) What exactly am I looking for in a good hard drive?
2) How much performance increase would a SSD provide?

Power
For Power I've been looking at this Antec one. I don't actually care what the case looks like, as long as it's decent quality and fits all the hardware, so my questions are:
1) Good/Bad brands?
2) Decent models you've used/know of?

OS
I've decided on Windows 8, but the one thing I wanted to know was what the difference is between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway; Any help, advice and personal experiences will be greatly appreciated.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-13, 03:47 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

i realized half way through this that i may sound sarcastic or obtuse. i have built 3 computers and done numerous upgrades to my computers. this is my personal experience in my answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
I'm going to be sourcing most of my parts from these stores:

I use this site: Build Your Own Computer, Computers Canada, Online Computer Accessories

it gives me an idea of cost and what goes together. then i buy the bits.

CPU
For the CPU I'm reading a lot of guides and people recommending this intel core. It looks to be fairly cheap, and according to what I've read it's fairly powerful.

its a solid choice

The other option would be this AMD quad core processor. From what I understand this is actually an APU which incorporates both a CPU and a GPU meaning I wouldn't need to purchase a graphics card which would save about a $100 compared to the intel core. As I understand it I could still add a graphics card to this.

don't know it, but if i were researching it, i would read tech reviews on game performance on specific games i would want to play.

the i3 is cheap but a bit dated.
2) I've read that most games like a dual core and any extra is just overkill, how true is that?
they are starting to produce games that use quad core, but few if any exists that are only optimized for them.
makes your cpu work faster than its specs. need a good motherboard, great cooling, and some running knowledge on BIOS. there are walkthroughs avalible online. can fry your computer, so getting used to things first and reading up on it is a must first.

Motherboard
From what I understand this choice will depend on what CPU I pick. My questions here are:
i am a huge fan of gigabyte.
i have built one with the cheapest 30 dollar motherboard i could find. still lasted three years. so, no idea.
3) Is there a 'type' (eg: B75M) of motherboard I'm looking for? (I know to pick the correct CPU socket.)
see above. unless you are into serious shenanigans, you don't really have to worry about the motherboard that much.
4) What features am I looking for in a motherboard (I've seen USB3.0, SATA2 and SATA3 mentioned as things to look for.)

this is a good article. HowStuffWorks "Choosing a Motherboard"

GPU
I'm not really sure what to look for in a graphics card or what brands are good, I've just been looking at this one because it was highly recommended:
eVGA GeForce GTX650

there are three gpu with this name....

RAM
From what I've read 4-8GB of RAM is the way to go, I've been looking at corsair's vengeance RAM as it's apparently a good brand. Some questions I have are:
1) Good/bad brands?
i pick the one that works with my motherboard....
how much do you want to spend? 4 is good for just about everything a normal computer usage will see.

Hardrive
The hardrive was the easiest thing to pick with most guides recommending a Western Digital Caviar Blue for an entry level PC. My only questions are:
lots and lots of bytes.
if you want a fast boot, get one and put your OS on it. otherwise, they are fugging pricey even these days.

Power
For Power I've been looking at this [url="http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=612037&CategoryID=31 8']FSP 450W power supply[/url]. As I understand it I'm looking for a 400-500W power supply with a high standard efficiency rating; is that all?

[COLOR="Lime"]after you get all your parts, you see how much you need, then buy. my computers run 650, 500 and 450 respectively.[/COLOR]

Case
This is one I need quite a bit of help on. I've seen the NZXT 210 recommended quite a lot, but I can't seem to find any in stock, I've been looking at this Antec one. I don't actually care what the case looks like, as long as it's decent quality and fits all the hardware, so my questions are:
1) Good/Bad brands?
the one that fits all the bits. make sure it has lots of space inside. i am not being sarcastic here. the important bits are cpu, gpu, ram and cooling fans. gpu keeps getting bigger and bigger so keep that in mind. if you want more than one gpu eventually, get a really big case. make sure there is enough space for the fans and make sure the motherboard fits. order: pick cpu and gpu, find motherboard that works with enough usbs, pick up correct ram and an extra fan or two. get type of harddrive that fits motherboard. want specific harddrive, make sure it fits the motherboard. see what the power will need to be. buy powersource.

OS
I've decided on Windows 8, but the one thing I wanted to know was what the difference is between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

why? seven is so much better in every way. here article on 32/64 bit:

32 bit & 64 bit Definition

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway; Any help, advice and personal experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by lokis222; 07-16-13 at 03:50 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-13, 03:58 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

warsmith7752's Flag is: United Kingdom

From someone who did this a couple years ago and is about to do it again in the near future. If at all possible buy from a brick and mortar store for your first time. They generally give warranty and are more reliable for advice and such.

It might be a little bit more expensive but its worth it to make sure that your investment is safe.

My graphics card flat out didnt work after i built my tower and the store i bought it from replaced it for free and then helped me out with some virus and ram issues i had later.

current win rates;
csm 3/1/1
daemons 1/0/0
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-13, 05:22 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
RAM
1) Good/bad brands?

Been using Kingston for a good while now and been happy with them. Good warranty and price.

I would not go bellow 8GB.

Hardrive

Considering your budget SSDs might be outside of your budget range, but I can provide my take on this since I upgraded my Mac to have an SSD (along with 16GB of RAM) a few months back.

The performance increase was huge. Boot time dropped from 30 seconds to 5 seconds, applications open up in the blink of an eye and there have been no slowdowns due to indexing since I did it. Blazing fast. Also, the noise levels dropped by quite a lot. I can no longer hear my comp running while I am using it, which is sort of scary at times since I had gotten used to all the noise hard drives have.

But the thing is that storage space is more limited. Whilst you can get bigger SSDs they are stupidly expensive and I would not recommend them, so with your budget a regular hard drive might be the way to go. You could of course get a smaller SSD (64/128 GB?) along with a regular HDD and install the OS and the apps/games you use the most on the SSD whilst keeping the rest of the stuff on the HDD.

If you decide to get one the Samsung 840 is excellent. Great performance/price ratio, but still quite expensive compared to regular Hard Drives. But I have no regrets. Once you go SSD, you never go HDD.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Last edited by Doelago; 07-16-13 at 05:25 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-13, 11:54 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Hey there, I'd recommend using www.cyberpowerpc.com to configure a system.

I have purchased 3 towers and 1 laptop from them since 1999. All 4 still work. And they have a 3 year warranty.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-13, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsmith7752 View Post
From someone who did this a couple years ago and is about to do it again in the near future. If at all possible buy from a brick and mortar store for your first time. They generally give warranty and are more reliable for advice and such.

It might be a little bit more expensive but its worth it to make sure that your investment is safe.

My graphics card flat out didnt work after i built my tower and the store i bought it from replaced it for free and then helped me out with some virus and ram issues i had later.
Something I forgot to mention in the original post is that I'm sourcing my components from those specific stores because they have Brick and Mortar stores near where I live so I can just order the stuff and go pick it up. I didn't actually think about faulty parts, but it will make getting replacements a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Hey there, I'd recommend using CyberPowerPC - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams to configure a system.

I have purchased 3 towers and 1 laptop from them since 1999. All 4 still work. And they have a 3 year warranty.
It would be way too expensive to ship a computer from America to Australia, but it was actually pretty useful to look at some of the components and brands they used.

Taking into account what you guys have said and all the research I've done I've come up with a rough PC build.

CPU - The Intel Core i3-3220 LGA1155 CPU 3.3Ghz 3Mb Cache Ivy Bridge 2C/4T HD2500 55w 3220 seems to be recommended by pretty much everybody as cheap, reliable and fairly powerful. I'm pretty much 100% decided on this. - $129

Motherboard - The gigabyte brand mobos seem to come highly recommended from pretty much everybody, but they seem to be quite overpriced in Australia, so I'm looking at this ASRock B75M-R2 LGA1155 mATX Motherboard which seems to be fairly cheap and has all the correct ports and slots I'll be needing. = $70

GPU - This was the hardest part to choose. All the low-mid range budget PC guides I read suggested that this was probably the place to spend a little extra in. According to most sources the mid range cards represent the best power to cost ratio. With that in mind, plus this basic (but extremely useful) graphics card ranking I've been looking at the Gigabyte GF GTX 650TI BOOST EDITION PCI-E 3.0 2GB 192-bit, which is apparently very powerful without being as expensive as some of the other powerful video cards. Since I'll probably be playing games like Farcry 3 and newer releases, I figured the high cost was justified. = $184

Memory - You guys sold me on 8GB of RAM, so I just looked for the cheapest 8GB RAM from a good brand that I could find. = $75

Hard drive - An easy one again, I'm pretty set on the Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB, 7200RPM, SATA3, 16mb Cache, 3.5", as it's cheap, but has lots of positive reviews. I considered the 1TB version, but I doubt very much that I'll use more than 500GB, and I can always just buy another hard drive later down the track if it comes to that. = $67

Power Supply - I'm still fairly confident of my first choice for this the FSP Raider Edition 450W 80PLUS Silver Power Supply is cheap, has enough Power and seems to be quite efficient. = $69

Case - After watching a bunch of reviews and un-boxings of this particular model I'm pretty sold on the Corsair® Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Case. Apparently it's "idiot proof", pretty good quality and fairly cheap and I'm 99% sure it will fit all the components with room left to spare. = $79

This comes to a total of $655 for the hardware, what do you guys think?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-13, 06:43 PM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

Quote:

CPU
If you want a good gaming pc i'd go with an i5, i have one in my laptop and it runs decently, however the i3 ones i have seen dont seem to work aswell

I havnt experenced AMD so couldnt comment

I have a quad core i7 and it runns everything very smoothly so....
Increasing the speed at which the drive runs at, to add to what magz said

Motherboard
Apparently gigabite arnt too good, from what ive head, i have one and computer people are surprised when they hear that

GPU
eVGA GeForce GTX650

This is a good choice, however if you can afford it bump it up to a 660, just incase

RAM
1) Good/bad brands?
Personaly i would go with 8 just to be safe and its not to much more

Hardrive

Power
For Power I've been looking at this Antec one. I don't actually care what the case looks like, as long as it's decent quality and fits all the hardware, so my questions are:
1) Good/Bad brands?

OS

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-13, 07:45 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

nVidia Graphic cards in a nutshell.

The letters up front have different meanings, a GT is lesser then a GTX etc. The number also shows what quality you are to expect. The first number (ie650) the 6 shows what year or group the card was made in, the last 2 is the quality of the GPU. So a 60 is better then 50 etc.

Also the brand of the card plays a role. ASUS and PNY where the big boys when I built my tower.

So a GT550 is lesser then a GTX550 and older then a GT650. If you want to do highend games I suggest a GTX-X70 card or higher. Yes half of what you spend on the computer will likely be GPU.

Processor. No less then a quad core, do not get an APU if its for gaming, get a CPU. The AMD 955 AM3 socket is a solid proc.

No less then 8gbs, I went from 4gb to 8gb and yes there was a HUGE difference.

APU: 700 Watt or higher, trust me, its worth the extra $30

64 bit OS, windows 8 is what I suggest.

MoBo: I like ASUS personally. Also what ever graphics card you go with make sure you have a matching northbridge. Try not to mix a nVidia and Raidion GPU/Northbridge

Last edited by Djinn24; 07-17-13 at 07:49 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-13, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn24 View Post
nVidia Graphic cards in a nutshell.

The letters up front have different meanings, a GT is lesser then a GTX etc. The number also shows what quality you are to expect. The first number (ie650) the 6 shows what year or group the card was made in, the last 2 is the quality of the GPU. So a 60 is better then 50 etc.

Also the brand of the card plays a role. ASUS and PNY where the big boys when I built my tower.

So a GT550 is lesser then a GTX550 and older then a GT650. If you want to do highend games I suggest a GTX-X70 card or higher. Yes half of what you spend on the computer will likely be GPU.

Processor. No less then a quad core, do not get an APU if its for gaming, get a CPU. The AMD 955 AM3 socket is a solid proc.

No less then 8gbs, I went from 4gb to 8gb and yes there was a HUGE difference.

APU: 700 Watt or higher, trust me, its worth the extra $30

64 bit OS, windows 8 is what I suggest.

MoBo: I like ASUS personally. Also what ever graphics card you go with make sure you have a matching northbridge. Try not to mix a nVidia and Raidion GPU/Northbridge
I had a long reply explaining why I picked those particular CPUs and GPUs over the others, but my browser crashed and I lost it to the forum void, basically all comes down to the cost to power ratio. A quad core and GTX-X70 card sound absolutely awesome, but they're going to push the cost way over my budget. In a year or two when I have some money to spare I'll definitely look into upgrading to a quad core.

The Northbridge info was handy as I didn't realise you need to tailor the northbridge to the GPU. Luckily the CPU itself actually contains the correct northbridge.

I decided my power supply based on this article and the linked PSU calculator. I ended up getting 267W on the calculator giving about 360W with the 35% compensation.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-13, 01:14 AM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
I had a long reply explaining why I picked those particular CPUs and GPUs over the others, but my browser crashed and I lost it to the forum void, basically all comes down to the cost to power ratio. A quad core and GTX-X70 card sound absolutely awesome, but they're going to push the cost way over my budget. In a year or two when I have some money to spare I'll definitely look into upgrading to a quad core.

The Northbridge info was handy as I didn't realise you need to tailor the northbridge to the GPU. Luckily the CPU itself actually contains the correct northbridge.

I decided my power supply based on this article and the linked PSU calculator. I ended up getting 267W on the calculator giving about 360W with the 35% compensation.
you seem to have covered all your angles and given your price range, have selected decent gear.

i would still get win 7 over win 8. win 8 is optimized for a touch screen and the user interface is confusing at best. i have read and heard nothing but complaints about it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode