PS4 vs XBox One, which one will you choose - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 03:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
and?

Not really Wolf. You are both missing the point. If the games go down you can still play them via your Xbox One.
Didn't those two just point out you need a connection in order to play any games on the one? Assuming that ends up being true, any time the online system goes down your xbox one is a large paperweight.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 03:38 AM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Didn't those two just point out you need a connection in order to play any games on the one? Assuming that ends up being true, any time the online system goes down your xbox one is a large paperweight.
Well, I do have to point out that I think it'll be able to play offline. It needs an internet connection every 24 hours. You'd be right if the servers were down for more than 24 hours though.

Still not going to get an Xbox One though. Fuck it. Microsoft fucked up, I'm going PS4. Nothing will change my mind on this one.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #33 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 03:42 AM
Senior Moderator

It probably will be, and assuming that turns out to be the case then at least the people whining about that can stop for a little while.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

post #34 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 01:49 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #35 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Lots of people are forgetting the server cluster fuck Sony had a couple years back where almost all of our information was exposed. Twice iirc.
post #36 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-17-13, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

For some its clearly a thing of the past, never to be spoken of again.

Though when that happened I was all to glad not to have a PS3.

post #37 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-18-13, 09:54 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well, looking at it from the competitive gaming side, one thing's for certain. And that's that it's an objective fact that there will and can not possibly be any competitive, LAN or offline, community-created tournament scene for any XBox One game, and the console will quite simply not be used for any non-MS exclusive games. So Killer Instinct (Which looks shit and doesn't look like it can possibly do the originals justice, by the way) is going to fade away into obscurity before even being released.

If the console requires a connection every 24 hours (Which is does. No exceptions. Confirmed by MS), then it is utterly worthless in the majority of venues. If it (and here's where the guesswork comes in, but based on the current generation and the objective fact that MS don't give a fuck about what the customer wants. I can see it happening) checks for patches, and requires the latest patch for a game to be played, checked on by said phone-home policy, it is an utterly and literally impossible system to run a tournament on safely and reliably.

No matter how small the chance, no self respecting tournament organizer should or will run an event on a system that has any possibility whatsoever of having different versions of a game played across a tournament weekend, for example. Any possibility whatsoever of a server-side issue such as this utterly and completely stops it. Anybody who argues this is objectively wrong and just making an idiot out of themselves.

post #38 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-19-13, 10:08 PM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Which two, the articles or the points I was making?

In any case the simple fact is you can still play a game if you have the disk version of it which, as I stated three times now, will be avaliable for the moment. Perhpas in the future they will discontinue it but I highly doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Fuck it. Microsoft fucked up, I'm going PS4. Nothing will change my mind on this one.
Damn.....thats a committed man right d'ere dat is :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn24 View Post
Lots of people are forgetting the server cluster fuck Sony had a couple years back where almost all of our information was exposed. Twice iirc.
Can I add on here Djinn that Anonymous also hacked them strait through. Plus the HUGE lag issues they've had with their more popular games (MAG and Ghost Recon for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Anybody who argues this is objectively wrong and just making an idiot out of themselves.
Really? I hope your ready to tell that to every STEAM and ORIGINS user on this site because thats just making a pure jack-ass out of yourself. People run tournements on PC all the time using the STEAM system. It also requires updates as well as propering downloading (which was an issue in the begining). Yet massive PC-only Clans and groups play Professional MLG, Regional and International tournements on a daily basis using this very system.

I guess what I'm saying here is that this is becoming mainstream and will only work for the PS4 for so long. MLG and gamers will continue to use Xbox One for Tournements, and honestly will probably become more popular because they can connect easier using Skype in-game and have larger parties. Keep in mind WORLOKKED that because Sony is a Japanese based company they don't worry alot of copyright and intellectual property laws as much as US based companies do. In addition this is the way the industry is moving.....or being pushed is more like it. I honestly give it 2 years at most before Sony jumps on the band wagon. So one way or the other gamers will still hold tournements.

Besides......thats what they said about the 360 after the Xbox failure and now look...........greatness

normtheunsavoury thats just the stupidest thing in the world. Can you find an actual comparison pls other than a damn brick. Thats just......ignoramous

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #39 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-19-13, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

From Xbox

Quote:
Xbox Wire
Select a Category
Your Feedback Matters Update on Xbox One
Don Mattrick, President, Interactive Entertainment Business
posted June 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.
post #40 of 114 (permalink) Old 06-19-13, 10:18 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Steam can run locally and not mandatory connect to the internet for a massive amount of time, being designed like this for specifically this reason.

But it's okay. You can't be right all the time. You'll get over it.

Aaaanyway, it's amusing to now see Microsoft backtrack after a week of running around telling people it's all fine and doesn't need to be changed and telling their customers that they're wrong and should get over it. Here's hoping that people remember that they wanted to shaft every gamer out there and flat-out lied to the gaming community at large about many things.

Even after the change, however, nothing's really going to change on the tournament front. Evo will continue to use PS3 for all games until the PS4 has a good variety of fighting games, at which point they'll choose the best console for future events. Seeing as the Sony deal has done nothing but improve Evo year on year, I forsee that trend continuing for as long as the sponsorship does.

As for other game events? Well, MLG are laughable and hemorrhaging money anyway, so whatever they do will be of great amusement to the community at large.

When it comes down to it, though, MS fucked up hard this time. I don't care one way or the other about loyalty to brands, but trusting Microsoft after how they've acted and treated the community since the information was first leaked is appalling and they flat-out deserve the backlash to continue. Attempted face-saving shouldn't be considered a great favour when neither of your main competitors just flat-out didn't do the wrong thing in the first place.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 06-19-13 at 10:26 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode