Xbox One announced - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-13, 11:18 PM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default achievements for watching tv???

"Television viewing tends to be a passive experience for a viewer, without many opportunities for the viewer to engage or have interactive experiences with the presented content," stated the application. "To increase interactive viewing and encourage a user to watch one or more particular items of video content, awards and achievements may be tied to those items of video content."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...or-watching-tv

Achievements for sitting through the voice or britain's got talentless wannabes?,
with full kinnect intergration there will be special achievements for staying awake and not killing yourself

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-13, 04:42 AM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Really.... what the fuck microsoft? What. The. Fuck. SO desperate to have people watching tv using the xbox one, rather than watching tv using your standard cable box, because you knew it was a pointless addition? Theres no fucking way this is going to draw people in and have them watching tv using their xbox.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-13, 09:11 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

TBH, we've known that Microsoft has had a raging hard-on for our living rooms for ages now, so this shouldn't be any surprise.

That being said, when I first heard about this, I was livid, but now it really isn't too bad. I still have serious misgivings with the DRM and this pseudo always on policy. Actually, this is just full blown always on-line crap; once every 24H pretty much means you need a constant net connection to keep it running. Anyway, I've also got issues with the backwards compat of the system, or a lack thereof, but I can't say we shouldn't have expected it; the 360 only had limited backwards compatibility at launch, and they've been slowly cutting into that with all of their updates.

All in all, this isn't nearly as bad as people are saying. Sure, it's a bit of a pain in the ass, but nothing huge.

On, on side note... hardware... meh.
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-13, 12:59 PM
Grr! That is all.
WaLkAwaY's Flag is: USA

For consoler's I would think it is the principal of the issues that they should be pissed about.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.” – Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

War does not care about convenience or inclement weather. Neither should your training. ~Me (Okay really my brother and I felt bad for stealing it)

post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-13, 04:06 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm looking forward to the Babestation Achievements.

"Seasonsed"; You've spent 3 hours watching other people having phone sex, channel hopping until you see the "girl caller!" sign pop up, and proceed to furiously wank yourself into an early grave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-13, 12:58 PM

Pandawithissues...'s Flag is: England

This launch was an absolute disaster. They better have some serious big guns aimed at E3 to even begin the damage control. Ultimately, the console generation is normally won by the console with the best games library. Unfortunately for Microsoft and Sony, the margins and risk in developing big budget games now mean that it is far more difficult to attract companies to design their games exclusively for one console or the other, meaning that the idea of the 'Killer App' is on its last legs.

So, aside from the obvious of Teevee, SPORTS and Call a Doody disappointment, lets give them (the only) benefit of the doubt they'll get for the rest of this post, and suggest that maybe they'll focus on the games at E3 like they said they would.

Let's dig in to WHY this thing is already a joke:

Kinect. This was shit in the last generation, and is now going to be parcelled with the console automatically (probably bumping up hardware costs). Interviews have suggested that microsoft will be 'encouraging' developers to integrate it into their games. I don't have to explain why this is a bad game to anyone that experienced the current console generation. Then there's the always on facet. Who wants a camera constantly on in their living room? No one, that's who. Microsoft are banking on this as a mechanism to unleash a proverbial TORRENT of information on you to use for marketing purposes. How many people are in your lounge with you when you play? What are they doing? Are they also playing the game? How often do you leave the room? Do you always leave the room when advertising starts? Where do your eyes focus on the screen during adverts/tv? Are their product placement adverts working? Fuck them, and FUCK THAT. This also has significant implications for anyone with children, who will now have integrated skype and webcam access at their beck and call. Whilst I'm a firm proponent of the fact that it is THE PARENTS' job to monitor their child's activity, this just seems ripe for online grooming/sexting/bullying potential and everything else that goes as part and parcel of being online. Many parents can't seem to understand or control the games their children are playing, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest these morons might have trouble monitoring that too.

Does anyone ACTUALLY want to talk to their games console to turn it on and get it to do stuff? This is going to be so shit it is funny. The functionality of a remote control is so much more well developed that this is just going to get in the way. Not to mention the fact that the console now has to be always on. This is yet another blow to the environment, and at a more personal level, will impact on people's waning finances. Fuel bills are not going to be getting any cheaper.

Teevee: I don't understand how this is going to be a draw for anyone. First of all, the functionality that was shown is currently only going to work in North America. Eventually it may spread to parts of Europe maybe? The rest of the world can dream on. NA sports are typically bundled together, making it easy for MS to licence this sort of stuff. TV rights for football etc in Europe are far FAR more complex. Don't expect anything soon. Experienced gamers don't give a shit about this functionality, and I would suggest that neither do the more casual end of the spectrum. Why? Because of course, people already have this shit (if they want it). Most people now have sky boxes or the equivalent which already provides this functionality, and at a much cheaper price. Convincing someone with this stuff that they also need the new xbox isn't doing to be easy. One of the comments I saw go round was 'Huh, I watch TV when my xbox is turned OFF' which pretty much sums it up. Additionally, this could easily create hellish
overlay situations. The xbox dashboard is a nightmare to start with. Even if they streamline it, how is it going to interact with the overlay for your sky box? Will one take priority? This could be a MASSIVE clusterfuck.

SPORTS: Cool. Well done. Morons will still buy the same game in the form of Madden or FIFA every year. And these games will still be released on other platforms because EA aren't stupid enough to have signed an exclusive licence surely?

Call a Doody. It has more graphics! And a dog. Who cares? Well, I don't give a shit about Call a Doody, but the implications for this are actually slightly important. Higher resolution graphics require more design time, and bigger budgets for these games mean that they're going to have to either increase prices, or ship more units. I don't think people are going to continue to bend over much further in terms of price. ~£45 or ~$60-70 are surely going to be the most people are going to pay, especially in a depressed world economy which has seen people's purchasing power erode with rising food and fuel prices, lack of interest in savings, high house prices/rent (in the UK), not to mention the general levels of unemployment and poor wages resulting from the glut of available labour on the market. I don't think people will go any higher. Which means they need to ship more units. This probably means we'll get more of the same shit. Ultraconservative choices from games developers, leading to more of the same sorts of games. Rejoice for the lack of grey-brown manshooters on the market! We definitely need more of those. It also means we'll probably end up with MORE day one DLC, more uninteresting reuse of assets with slightly different map packs.

The widely discussed locking of games to individual profiles is simply the logical extent of this. They want to either take a cut out of the second hand market or remove it altogether. The idea that publishers and designers have a 'right' to a cut of a second sale is faintly ludicrous. Ford and BMW do not receive a cut from the sale of your second hand car. The way this benefits them is because some of the money from that sale actually is likely to go and be spent on a new car, or a NEW GAME. The idea that a second hand game sale is the loss of a new game sale is a fallacy. We've clearly moved towards games no longer being a commodity, and instead essentially now being a licence, and it's time I think to draw the line. Even from a fundamental perspective, tying a game licence to someone's gamer profile is going to rile up anyone who isn't a moron. Say you've got a couple of kids, and you buy a copy of a new game. You can't then attach it to more than one profile? That's silly, so maybe they'll be able to have a family licence? Well, what if you wanted to lend the game to your friend? Well, that's EXACTLY WHAT THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO DO, and they're going to make it as difficult as possible to do so.

This console is friendly as hell for developers, and appears to have been designed with them in mind but for anyone with a gaming background, and especially dedicated gamers (aged ~19-35 with solid disposable income) who tend to be early adopters and product evangelists that you desperately want in your corner, it's at best something you'd be ambivalent about, and essentially a slap in the face at worst.

When the best thing you can say about the console is 'well, at least they didn't fuck up the controller, looks like the last one which worked fine' then you know the launch has been rough as hell.

Death magnetic: 5 slabs of vinyl: Pure spinning ecstasy.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-27-13, 04:15 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

They did fuck up the controller though. At least in one way. The port for mics won't support the current mics on the market. Not one of them. At least this is what I heard. Might have been angry joe or the Jimquisition show. OR it may have even been posted in this thread. Too lazy to flip back through to check right now.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 09:03 AM

Bindi Baji's Flag is: United Kingdom

Strange new comment from the "don't buy our console" department at microsoft

“Similar to the movie and music industry, games must meet country-specific regulatory guidelines before they are cleared for sale,” said the Microsoft representative. “We will continue to work with our partners to follow these guidelines with Xbox One.”

Must?

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 10:29 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
"Television viewing tends to be a passive experience for a viewer, without many opportunities for the viewer to engage or have interactive experiences with the presented content," stated the application. "To increase interactive viewing and encourage a user to watch one or more particular items of video content, awards and achievements may be tied to those items of video content."

Thing is i dont want to interact with my tv show, i want to watch the shit on the screen,if i had wanted to interact with something i wouldnt have chosen to watch TV, IF microsoft genuinely want to sell me a machine, all they have to do is produce a box that has all my favorite tv shows on and removes all traces of adverts/promos/and those little annoying logos or telling you whats on next.also it should play blurays and skip past the piracy warnings and trailers and play the damn movie i have paid for, whats the point of a piracy warning on a purchased bluray? i have already bought the damn thing why would i need to pirate it or down load it?????? you dont get a "dont steal cars" warning when you turn your cars ignition on do you? Maybe we should start having warnings on the inside of our wallets reminding us not to shop lift!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 01:40 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

@Bindi, possibly something that's come in after the furore over "No Russian" and games like Manhunt, or something; noticeable bans on sales of games in particular countries, or being submitted to individual countries classifiers like the BBFC (Board of Big Fat Cunts) or the AFA or whatever it is America has.

However, now that's it's up, and after a few recent news occurences, like the Woolwich murder, the Boston Bombings, etc, MS might see themselves as the new "Internation World Police" for good taste, white knighting around and stopping games from going on sale on XBox1. While this might be a good thing for PC/Consoles, the flipside is that it's a loss of revenue which investors and kickstarters might not look favourably on.

Quote:
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode