Game Dev Tycoon - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 01:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,685
Reputation: 10


Most game stores have a no refund policy on PC games. You can thank CD keys for that.
Reaper45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 02:03 AM
Executive Nitpicker
 
Galahad's Avatar
Galahad's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 8,355
Reputation: 15


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Most game stores have a no refund policy on PC games. You can thank CD keys for that.
No, you can thank pirates.
Buy a game, install it, burn copies of the CD and return it.

Hell, game stores have had no refund policies on PC games since the days of Floppy Disc because people would just install it, copy it and return it. Nothing to do with CD keys.

Then they put in the old "Look at Page X Paragraph Y in your manual, what is Word Z?" and people just photocopied the manuals.

CD keys are just one of a long string of low-level DRM measures that game companies use to force you to at least work a little bit to steal a game.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!



Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior



Galahad is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 03:31 AM
Critique for da CriticGod
 
Kreuger's Avatar
Kreuger's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 3,243
Reputation: 42


This basically comes down to the question, "when is it okay to steal something?"

And the answer boys and girls, is basically never. This isn't industry scare-mongering like the tv and music industries' reactions to cassette tapes and vhs. They initially claimed that they would be duplicated out of business. In fact the opposite happened, these mediums became whole new classes of commodities they could sell.

Stealing a video game isn't some new business model or product game publishers haven't figured out yet.

Even mp3's have found this place in commerce, the truck is to make the sales transaction faster and easier than stealing the product. One click and¢.99 = a new song. For most users that's easier than digging through torrents for the pirated music you hope to find.

A good video game still requires an investment on the scale of a small/moderate motion picture. And in many cases the developer (not to be confused with the publisher) often makes very little money after release. So until such time as developers can really stand on their own, stealing a cool innovative game, one you really like, is only pushing your favorite developers out of business.

P.s. - without getting into a deep discussion on the nature of property and social inequality . . . On the topic of the game maker who reacted incredulously to gamers stealing their game because the gamers couldn't afford it: what do you expect? They are making a product to sell. He might have been more sympathetic, but he is trying to sell his game to make his living. Gamers are NOT Entitled to own a game without paying for it, no matter how poor they are.

In a better world we would all pay a proportionately adjusted amount for goods and services according to our means.

Unfortunately, that isn't our world now. The manufacturers can't sell/give away a game hoping others will pay more for it.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Kreuger is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
GrizBe's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England
Posts: 3,232
Reputation: 10


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Most game stores have a no refund policy on PC games. You can thank CD keys for that.
Actually.. if you read your consumer rights laws, Store Refund policies are actually worthless. So long as you haven't damaged the product, or removed items from it that you purchased with it, they have no legal right to refuse a refund... and that includes games etc.


Heck.. I've returned games plenty of times in recent years because they've been crap and the stores been able to do jack about it.
GrizBe is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
King Gary's Avatar
King Gary's Flag is: Wales
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swansea
Posts: 347
Reputation: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
Actually.. if you read your consumer rights laws, Store Refund policies are actually worthless. So long as you haven't damaged the product, or removed items from it that you purchased with it, they have no legal right to refuse a refund... and that includes games etc.


Heck.. I've returned games plenty of times in recent years because they've been crap and the stores been able to do jack about it.
Also, it may be worth pointing out the value of a bit of research into what game you're going to buy, particularly if money's tight. There's plenty of reviewers and first impressions videos on you tube, so there's really no argument about buying bad games when you're on a tight budget. Ok, sticking to that process means that a lot of the time you don't get day one releases, but so what? There's discounts later in a game's life cycle. I can't remember the last time I payed full price for a game, and I've never pre-ordered.

My Complete DA collection


That's me breathing fire in my avatar, my aim was a bit off to start but i got all those orks in the end!
King Gary is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
GrizBe's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England
Posts: 3,232
Reputation: 10


Think is I don't trust game reviews anymore.... Used to be a time they were unbiased... now that anyone can review them, and they do, its always gets heavily weighted in one direction or another.

Take Mass Effect 3. Great game all round. But because of its dubious ending, look how many people started giving it bad reviews and saying it was complete crap.

Sames goes for other games. New Tomb Raider Game... Got hyped to death, people said it was great... Actual experience was that it was a complete meh-fest for most people.

Basically.. its hard to judge what is a good game anymore, even if you do research it, without trying it for yourself.... Another reason there should be demos of every game out long before its on sale.


Also, I agree about waiting. Okay, so I have pre-ordered a few games, simply because their sequel so I know i'll like them, (ME 2 and ME 3, DA2, Arkham City), but waiting a few months does mean there usually a drop in price, plus theres plenty of walkthrough etc out by then if you do get stuck.
GrizBe is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-13, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
King Gary's Avatar
King Gary's Flag is: Wales
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swansea
Posts: 347
Reputation: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
Basically.. its hard to judge what is a good game anymore, even if you do research it, without trying it for yourself.... Another reason there should be demos of every game out long before its on sale.


Also, I agree about waiting. Okay, so I have pre-ordered a few games, simply because their sequel so I know i'll like them, (ME 2 and ME 3, DA2, Arkham City), but waiting a few months does mean there usually a drop in price, plus theres plenty of walkthrough etc out by then if you do get stuck.
There's nothing wrong with pre-ordering per-se, the examples you give being pretty good examples of safe bets. I do operate on a tight budget when it comes to gaming though, and can't afford the risk of throwing away £40 on a bad game. Can't really afford to loose £20 tbh.

It's a good point, what you say about reviews and reviewers. Those industry magazines and more official you tube channels have been less than relevant for a decade or more, thery're just a safe harbour for fanboys and people who know what they want to hear before they hear it. It's a matter of finding a number of sources that you trust, for me i've got

Totalbiscuit
AngryJoe
Yhatzee
Extra Credits

Whilst I don't agree with all of them all the time, and they certainly don't agree with each other listening to multiple opinions from well informed reviewers can really help with your descision making process. Also, when they do line up and agree, like with the recent FTL game, you just know that's a must buy. Anyone got other sources of information that they use btw?

My Complete DA collection


That's me breathing fire in my avatar, my aim was a bit off to start but i got all those orks in the end!
King Gary is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome