EA to stop paying licensing fees to arms companies for use of their guns in games. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 11:49 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

The thing is, they did not say the will stop making games with guns. They will just not be 'licensed'. Instead of the Bushmaster you will have the EAR-15 and shit like that. They will change the look just enough to protect themselves from copyright/trademark issues and continue to churn out the gun heavy games.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 11:55 AM

Calistrasza's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
The thing is, they did not say the will stop making games with guns. They will just not be 'licensed'. Instead of the Bushmaster you will have the EAR-15 and shit like that. They will change the look just enough to protect themselves from copyright/trademark issues and continue to churn out the gun heavy games.
Before video games, the thing that caused violence was movies. Then it was rock and roll. Then it was presumably something like scandalously uncovered ankles. Video games including guns shows you how to commit a massacre like learning to ride a bicycle makes you an authority on an F1 circuit. It doesn't compute.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 11:57 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Never said they do, I was pointing out to Mag that this is not going to reduce any love of guns that the games might have been producing. It is not reducing the spotlight on them, just making it more generic.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 12:03 PM

I'm not sure if the gun fantasy games promote a love of guns so much as unrealistic expectations of guns. The licensing might reduce it a little bit from the gun nutters typing in something like "LaR-16/4" instead of "M16A4". I don't see many people running around toting Stahl Industries assault rifles, so. Maybe it can help.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 12:18 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

And having a gun called an M4a1 is going to mean more people kill as opposed to a F7g3? Black Ops 2 and Halo are the biggest selling video games and typically involve shooting each other. None of them have guns that are used in real life.

The most realistic of the games are the Arma and especially the Project Reality mods. They are comparatively minor sales. The gameplay isn't the most accessible and doesn't compare well to Call of Duty. The attitudes and mentality of the Cod and BF3 and Halo communities are respective of how people act. They think it is a video game, and the disconnect is apparent. Some cannot disassociate themselves from that regardless of whether they can get themsleves a laser rifle or a Sig P226, or some 30 year old S+W handgun snub nose that no self respecting war game includes but is available for ~200 dollar in some alley off a guy who knows a guy.

The presence of real world weaponry in a video game is a false link, it is more likely the attitudes and the casual violence therein that is more.likely to be the cause of a massacre combined with a fucked up brain stem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-13, 12:30 PM

That's a big part of it as well. I think the Call of Duty demographic does a bit of harm to that- you never know why you're fighting the wars you fight in in Call of Duty nowadays. You just are. These guys are "terrorists", or Russians for some godforsaken reason, or some other country the US never got to invade. If there was any meaning behind the violence it might resonate better, but a lot of the frat bro demographic just wants a good punch up.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-13, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
It goes a long way to removing some of the fascination with guns that some have.

It also helps reinforce the line between reality and fantasy, which is a common problem with perpetrators of massacres.
KF7 soviet.
ZMG
AR-33
cougar magnum
Phantom
RC-P90

Any of these sound familiar? They are all guns from golden eye. The original N64 version of the game.

A gun is a gun. Most gamers are smart enough to find the links between fake names and the real guns.

I hate to tell it to you but the fascination with guns will never go away. It's the real why COD sells every year even though it's the same damn game.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 01:57 AM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
And having a gun called an M4a1 is going to mean more people kill as opposed to a F7g3? Black Ops 2 and Halo are the biggest selling video games and typically involve shooting each other. None of them have guns that are used in real life.

The most realistic of the games are the Arma and especially the Project Reality mods. They are comparatively minor sales. The gameplay isn't the most accessible and doesn't compare well to Call of Duty. The attitudes and mentality of the Cod and BF3 and Halo communities are respective of how people act. They think it is a video game, and the disconnect is apparent. Some cannot disassociate themselves from that regardless of whether they can get themsleves a laser rifle or a Sig P226, or some 30 year old S+W handgun snub nose that no self respecting war game includes but is available for ~200 dollar in some alley off a guy who knows a guy.

The presence of real world weaponry in a video game is a false link, it is more likely the attitudes and the casual violence therein that is more.likely to be the cause of a massacre combined with a fucked up brain stem.
I agree totally. Arma and PR are my favourite games actually, not cause of guns but because of teamwork and community
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-13, 07:57 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I hate to tell it to you but the fascination with guns will never go away.
Yes it will, all you have to do is try.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-13, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Yes it will, all you have to do is try.
No it won't.

Tell me why did COD BO 2 gross roughly 1 billion in 15 days.

Where as minecraft is only around 300 million. ( not an actual for word figure based on rough calculation.

It's not going to happen. I know plenty of people who stated that if they moved to the US the first thing they would do is buy an AK 47 when able.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode