Battlefield 4 details revealed by poster - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Default Battlefield 4 details revealed by poster

Stand out on the battlefield, because thats exactly what every soldier wants to do.

Looking forward to this, loved Battlefield 3 even though it was a bit harsh on my Xbox and crashed the system a few (dozen) times.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 02:17 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sounds like shit.

Back to Arma 3, cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 03:58 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Still uses Origin? Guess so, just checking. Don't really care anyway, BF3 was too much of a departure in the BF series. BF2 required a bit more skill to play, BF3 is "too nice" to it's players. It doesn't take long enough to rise from prone, it doesn't take long enough to bring up iron sights, too little spread without iron sights etc. Basically, about as competitive as CoD. (Which is not)

For us competitive FPS gamers at least there's still Natural Selection 2 and Red Orchestra 2 (and CS:GO but bleh, too vanilla and symmetrical)

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 08:49 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

For us competitive gamers there's still Quake fucking 3, which is yet to be surpassed on either a skill, flow or spectator hype perspective.

Besides, CoD can be and often is competitive, and maximum respect to the guys who play it at a high level. The games themselves aren't bad at all. Their online communities are just plagued by little shits and they're made by pretty shitty companies. The games themselves, however, are pretty solid mechanically and the guys who play them CAN and WILL facefuck you in just about any FPS they take to, given some time to adjust to mechanics.

As for RO2 and NS2? Well, I'm yet to see a viable tournament or ladder format for either, as they're simply not viable in such a scene. Great games, to be sure, but they are really not very good options for what the word 'competitive' naturally conjures up.

TF2 is still pretty damn ridiculous for it, as the energy from the raucous crowd at ANY LAN event a TF tournament is played will attest to.

And CS? Too symmetrical? CS is pretty much the archetypical comp FPS, and has been for more than a decade for precisely that reason. There's no bullshit, no gimmicks, you're outplaying the opposing team, pure and simple.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 11:14 PM
Ranty ranter!

[quote=WoRLoKKeD;1362315]Besides, CoD can be and often is competitive, and maximum respect to the guys who play it at a high level. The games themselves aren't bad at all

With mods that remove streaks, perks and other random elements from the game, maybe. But with all those things, anyone who thinks they are playing a competitive game are just deluding themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
As for RO2 and NS2? Well, I'm yet to see a viable tournament or ladder format for either, as they're simply not viable in such a scene. Great games, to be sure, but they are really not very good options for what the word 'competitive' naturally conjures up.
You haven't been paying attention.

To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-13, 12:59 AM

Those elements are an inherent part of the game, and as such they're perfectly doable. Balance is perfectly okay there as anybody and everybody has the option of choosing the same weapons, perks and traits. That they choose not to is their personal choice, and as such they have no reason nor right to complain about balance issues.

By your argument, League of Legends cannot possibly be played competitively as people can use runes and masteries as 'random elements'. And by your reckoning, there was never a thriving WoW arena scene that had a lot of prize money in it as people could use differing builds and gear as 'random elements'. Oh no. That just wouldn't be competitive.

Before you try and fail to argue it, no, the difference in one being FPS and the others not being FPS is not a valid difference as far as balance is concerned. Just because you don't like something it doesn't mean it's magically not 'competitive'. If anything, these aspects add another level to the complexity and the strategic element. While I've helped people and communities with running tournaments and events, I don't even play CoD and I can see that. What really shocks me here is that you complain about balance preventing these things from being competitive, yet your gripe with CS is that it's too...well...balanced?

As for the NS2 scene? Well, let's face it. It's hardly thriving, and by all accounts isn't really even close to taking off. It's such a niche game that it can't. I'd go so far as to say the marketing (or lack thereof) of the game is really killing it. It's got potential but it's rapidly going nowhere at all. I'd love to see it take off, but I know for sure that as it stands, these tournaments are a labour of love for the very niche and internalized NS community that is simply not growing.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-13, 01:14 AM
Ranty ranter!

You love the sound of your own voice don't you.

Anyway, any game where you can drop a grenade upon being killed is bonkers. So much of CoD is down to pure luck, and it really is too lenient in scope/iron sight times, belly flopping and all that jazz.

I guess I initially used the wrong descriptor, for that I apologize. I obviously mean 'hardcore' not 'competitive'. Any game that has a multiplayer component can be competitive, as long as there are players willing to feel strongly enough about it to make it so.

The first Modern Warfare was the best in terms of it's hardcore mode, but still needed extensive modding to get rid of luck, and I had great times playing the realism mod which had a strong following. Since that one though, there hasn't been much draw.

The best kind of game for me is both hardcore and competitive, NS2 fits that bill, and though you may lament the comparatively small size of that environment, it more than makes up for it in pure professionalism. I'd wager that in a cross-game matchup between the top NS2 teams and the top CoD teams, best out of 5, any day of the week belongs to the NS2 team.

You seem to care too much about the size of the scene, when it is how good it is that really matters. I'd rather watch Italian Serie A football for men than Swedish 3rd Division for women, even if the latter has 64 teams.

To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Last edited by MetalHandkerchief; 04-26-13 at 01:16 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-13, 01:50 AM

My voice? I wouldn't know. I don't tend to speak out loud while I type.

As for the grenade factor, well, there's this shocking thing you could do if someone took that. Get this, ready? You ADAPT TO THE SITUATION. You're getting blown up every time you stand next to them and shoot from point blank? How's this for a fucking revelation. Stand slightly further back and don't hover around a corpse for 3-5 seconds? Just maybe?

And see, here's your problem, as you just identified. You appear to have this mistaken belief that what YOU like is how things should be. The size of the scene isn't as important as the fact that there will be no scene if there's not any promotion or reaching out or growing. The few NS2 events that actually happen are so underpromoted that they may as well not happen for 99.9999% of the gaming community, as frankly nobody gives a flying fuck.

There must be something about CoD that people enjoy, as it has a rather thriving comp scene like many other games, and a great many players and events.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-13, 10:35 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Metal; it sounds like you just really want to play Arma 3: Wasteland.

That is all down to planning. None of that "you must be level 47 before you can choose an AK47" or some shite.

Plus the SP, CoOp and PvP is among the best in the game thanks to actively supported modding community.

Seriously, you like shooters, you have a semi-decent PC, pick it up now. It's only in Alpha atm, but its cheaper now than most release games. As well as being more of a game than most release games. It's like 22 right now for the Alpha, but you get the full game for free upon release. What's not to like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode