PS4 vs. PC side-by-side comparison in Unreal Engine 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Default PS4 vs. PC side-by-side comparison in Unreal Engine 4

I'll let you guys be the judge...

YouTube - PS4 vs. PC in Unreal Engine 4 - Elemental Tech Demo

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 02:11 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Not a bad comparison vid.

The PS4 visuals are certainly good, with bright clean colours and crisp shadow effects. Really very nice.

The PC version though, whilst its colours may at first seem dimmer, thats only because its using far more fogging and particle effects. Thats not a surprise really, as console gfx quite often skimp a little on "fancy" techniques to improve frame rates.

Also, the PS4 shots dont seem to use too much Depth of Field blurring. So, again its losing a little in the cinematic feel, but still not too shabby.

Having said all that though, its always difficult to compare consoles to PC's - even if the next gen console beats current PC tech, it wont be long before the humble beige box overtakes it again.

Simply put, its a damn fine looking show from the PS4 here, but, as always, its a catch up game consoles may never win. Leaving that argument aside for a moment, the PS4 looks set to be a visually stunning console. It might even convert a few Microsoft die-hards.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 04:51 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's a catch-up game that they never HAVE to win, though. Console gamers will keep playing on consoles and there's nothing wrong with that. It helps both sides in the long run, as because multi-format games have to cater to all hardware, including the lowest out there, the PC often giggles psychotically with the ease of a game made for several-year-old hardware.

The console gamers are happy because they don't have to put together a new PC, the PC gamers are happy because either the game will be shinier on PC or it'll be a matter of months until someone ENBs it, and the world keeps turning happily until the next console cycle, as minor differences in shininess are entirely unimportant in comparison to the gameplay.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
It's a catch-up game that they never HAVE to win, though.
And I totally agree - as I said in my post, its always difficult to compare consoles to PC's, because the tech just keeps leapfrogging. But just to clarify, I was in no way trying to start a "PC is always better" debate.

I'd be a hypocrite to start that debate - I own several consoles as well as several PC's, and which one I'm on at the time is far more dependant on what I want to be doing, rather than how shiny I want it to look.

Even still, the PS4 is impressive to look at, and that, I feel, is the whole point of this thread.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

To the trained eye there is a lot more discrepancies if you look closely.

PS4 has:
-No depth of field
-Started stuttering profusely on the close-up of the fallen king
-No definition in dark areas, where the PC shows distinction among close-to-black elements in shadow, these details disappeared on the PS4.
-Simplified particles, though this is not a disservice in this particular example, as IMO they didn't use particles that well apart from when the gate blows open. The gate blowing open looking like a sandstorm on the PS4 and a blizzard on the PC was the big difference though.
-The Lava is HUGE. The PS4 only draws the top layer, no refractions, reflections or sub-surface scattering, difference there is immense.
-Physics look good on the PS4, though there were frame rate issues with the falling bricks.
-Shadow resolution is halved throughout the entire demo
-It couldn't even run the mountain vista open world flythrough. This spells doom for the next Elder Scrolls game in terms of graphics.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Last edited by darkreever; 04-06-13 at 03:30 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
Too true. In part thats why I dislike Console-PC comparisons. We know the areas the consoles will skimp and save stress on the cpu/gpu, but realistically, the console will rarely, if ever match up to a modern PC.

A comparison of Console to PC is useful still, but I think a comparison between old/new would be a more helpful indication of the next gen consoles improvements in a straight line tech measure.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
Its always nice to see how you can come on here and levy such thinly veiled insults on other people; good job with that.

After watching the comparison, I have to say that I would be thoroughly pleased with either of those. The PC was clearly better in some places, but I found myself preffering the PS4 in others. I'm talking about places like around:

0:11 - the PS4 shows detail to the room beyond the hallway, even though there is light shining into that room in both versions. (0:20 see's the PS4 do this.)
0:33 - the PC takes a little while to unblurr the detail on the armour, and the PS4 version appears to maintain better detail following.
0:44 - a mixed bag personally, the PS4 looks cleaner but is darker while the PC is less sharp but lighter.
1:54 - PS4 allows you to see beyond the arch and the torch on the left is more detailed.
2:25 - PS4 gives us detail on that wall, you get nothing from the PC version (yeah theres snow on the wall, but its not a perfectly flat wall.)

And thats just five, but since I don't see things the way you do I am likely not one of those trained eyes you speak of.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
And thats just five, but since I don't see things the way you do I am likely not one of those trained eyes you speak of.
Touche, I believe.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 10:07 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

The other vitally important thing to remember is that this, just like every UE before it, is a tech demo made with a raw, still-in-development and ever-evolving engine that has had ZERO time to be optimized for the next generation at a release-ready level. Given the average time it takes for devs to properly get used to optimizing across platforms as they get experience with the hardware (Well, just look at Gears of War 2 vs 3. No fan of the games, but it's an impressive leap), this tech demo comparison is still little to nothing of value.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-13, 10:45 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post

After watching the comparison, I have to say that I would be thoroughly pleased with either of those. The PC was clearly better in some places, but I found myself preffering the PS4 in others.
Pretty much my reaction as well. Guess I'm an untrained idiot as well then.

Oh look... there goes the fuck I don't give.

Have PC's often got better graphics? Yea
Can I be assed with the constant crashes etc that my PC got as it got older? No

I'm happy gaming on a console at the moment. Do I have something against PC gamers? No.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode