Disney kills Lucasarts, Star Wars games cancelled - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 02:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
Published, produced; same thing. They fronted the money and put out the game. Havoc just created the darn things. as for LucasArts they "published/produced" some decent games at the time.
Uh...no, not even close.

Producing is generally the act of actually making something, while publishing is marketing/selling of an item.

Also you have an edit button; theres no reason you should be tossing a second post up minutes after your first one just because you realized something more.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Thuogh I would be interested to know if anyone has heard news on SWBF 3?
Its cancelled, and has been for ages.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Last edited by Doelago; 04-29-13 at 05:15 AM.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-13, 05:19 AM

Those games themselves will pop up eventually, maybe 2-3 years down the track. Disney spent 4 BILLION dollars purchasing all merchandising rights to Star Wars, the amount of money the Video Game section (Lucas Arts) will stand to make them is too much for them to completely pass up.

Quote:
Thuogh I would be interested to know if anyone has heard news on SWBF 3?
It was alleged, by a member of the game staff working on Battle Front 3 that the game's director is to blame for the game to Already being on shelves and in my goddamn cupboard. This anonymous whistle-blower stated that the director quietly bled funds that had been set aside for BF3 to fund his own, independent gaming venture.

Last edited by xxJoshxx; 04-30-13 at 05:23 AM.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-13, 12:27 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Bioware actually was going to produce Fallout 3, then handed it over to Bethseda. Bethseda still allowed Havoc studios to finish the game. as for Fallout NV I admit I typed Bioware, thats should have been Bethseda. Obsidian was Bethseda's puppet so no offense my freind but lets be honest on that fact.

Published, produced; same thing. They fronted the money and put out the game. Havoc just created the darn things. as for LucasArts they "published/produced" some decent games at the time.

So while I respect your position, I must gravely disagree with you. If anything many of those gamea are immortalised by the gaming community not only for the good gameplay, but there ties to Star Wars as a series.
Except you're once again talking squarely out of your arse, as Fallout 3 was developed by Bethsoft by their in-house development team. Havok are not a game developer, and rather simply create a physics engine that is licensed out to everybody and their mother.

As for Obsidian and New Vegas? Bollocks to them being puppets. They are the original Fallout developers under a new name, and worked hard in NV to unfuck the mess that Bethesda's writers inflicted on the series.

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-13, 07:40 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

4 Billion? Holy cow that surprised me. But thnxs for the info Josh, I'll cling to hope on that. Any word on when Disney might actually make there move on reorganizing that studio?

WoRLoKKeD if you trust your Wikipedia for that information then.......best of luck. I'm grabbing it strait from there archives.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-13, 01:24 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

I assure you you're not grabbing the information from the archives. Primarily as there is no such game developer as Havoc/Havok Studios.

Havok produce physics, animation and AI frameworks, and licence them out to developers and studios. So yes, in a VERY broad sense, Havok developed certain small parts of the Gamebryo engine (that ended up heavily edited) that was developed in-house by Bethesda, but to say they developed Fallout 3 as a game in any sense whatsoever is like saying that the FA Cup is produced by Adidas because the players like to wear shoes.

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-05-13, 11:38 PM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Primarily as there is no such game developer as Havoc/Havok Studios.
Really? I believe your Wikipedia puts it better than I could. "Havok: is an Irish computer software company that provides interactive software and services for digital media creators in the video game and movie industries." They built the engine, graphics system, 3D Animation, kinematica, and the revolutionary dynamic simulation system(which for it's time was extremely advanced for video games.)

If you wish to be ascenine then we could say Bethseda Softworks created the gameplay elements, characters, and plot lines behind it. But they bought the license from who? Havock Studio's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
So yes, in a VERY broad sense, Havok developed certain small parts of the Gamebryo engine (that ended up heavily edited) that was developed in-house by Bethesda, but to say they developed Fallout 3 as a game in any sense whatsoever is like saying that the FA Cup is produced by Adidas because the players like to wear shoes.
I'm just gonna be hones, that last part about Adidas is stupid. Makes for a prissy argument my friend.

To say Havock didn't create the core of Fallout is untrue. Again from your Wiki freinds"...multiple types of dynamic constraints between rigid bodies (e.g. for ragdoll physics), and has a highly optimized collision detection library. By using dynamical simulation, Havok allows for more realistic virtual worlds in games. The company has also released the product Havok Animation, which provides efficient playback and compression of character animations in games, and features such as inverse kinematics."

Additionally that's like saying Westlake Interactive didn't create the ground-breaking software used to make Halo: Combat Evolved. "Westlake is a software developer and publisher." Again from Wiki's own words, but also consider this same group made the Rainbow series software, and Age of Empires(both I and II). they didn't design the game levels, no produce it,v but they sure as hell made the SOB.

Another great example would be Pi Studios. Wiki states, "Pi Studios was a computer game software developer founded in 2002 by Robert Erwin, John Faulkenbury, Rob Heironimus, Dan Kramer and Peter Mack. The company originated in Plano, Texas and relocated to Houston, Texas in January, 2005." they created the tech for Halo 2 map development, core to why Halo 2 really took off instead of failing like many shooters of the time. They also designed Mercenaries 2 and some Rock Band software(though I admit i don't know much on that).

In short what I'm saying is whoever designed the software was the game designer. Producers and game studios just build the game like any modder creates levels and scenarios with tools created(Example being Halo 3 Forge World, or Editor on Arma 2)

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-13, 02:31 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

This is old news, they annoounced this closure ages ago. They;re never going to stop making star wars games as long as there are nerds with money.

The only differences is they won't be making them *in house*. They're shifting to a licensing platform and letting other devs do the work. Chances are this will result in MORE licensed SW games being made rather than less because now you can have different production houses working on different games all at the same time without dividing resources or budgets.

Disney has no reason to throw away good money by not allowing star wars games to be made. Quit freaking out.

To tell the truth, I haven't bothered with a lucasarts game since they stopped making Star Wars games featuring Kyle Katarn...the most badass Jedi ever. Someone out there, bid on the license for more Dark Forces/Jedi Knight/Academy games!

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-06-13, 10:21 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well while the door has been closed, a window has been opened. The license for Star Wars games has been picked up and for the next few years we can expect to see plenty of new Star Wars games by the publisher that holds the rights. EA.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/0...s-game-license

I said a window had been opened, I didn't say it led anywhere good. So far three studios under EA's leash are confirmed to be working on a new Star Wars game. Battlefield developer DICE; Bioware is working on something new, and Dead Space developer Visceral Games is also working on a new Star Wars game. Only thing confirmed so far is that all of them will use the new Frostbite 3 game engine.

LotN

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-07-13, 06:56 AM

fynn's Flag is: United Kingdom

so expect buggy, unfinished games with overpriced DLC

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode