Disney kills Lucasarts, Star Wars games cancelled - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 12:40 AM
The_Helghast's Flag is: New Zealand

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...jpg?1319019416

Don't tell me this will go the way of SWBF3. where they lincened it out because they didn't have enough money to make it, then the compony they soled it too went belly up, and no one could get there hands on the gold with out getting F****d up by getting sued for IP breach by heads of that compony that just want to make some money and run cause there F****d in the long run anyway?

also where does SWBF3 stand now days, i haven't heard anything yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 06:35 AM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlins View Post
theyve got the keys to the banana plantation now and do what the F*** they want to .

expect to see the Star wars universe disneyed up .... luke skywalker on a speeder bike singing " a whole new day "
Just like Marvel.

OH WAIT. You're talking squarely out of your arse. No worries.

As for the situation as it is? In short? Good. Over the last few years, there have been NO good games developed by Lucasarts. Published or licensed, yes, but developed? Don't make me laugh.

Let's take a little stroll back through time, focusing only on Star Wars games, at the most acclaimed and best from a player's perspective.

X-Wing and Tie Fighter series? Totally Games.
Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy? Raven.
KOTOR/TOR? Bioware.
Battlefront? Pandemic.

In fact, in the last decade or so, every Star Wars game that has been terrible at worst and mediocre at best, has been terrible and developed by Lucasarts internally. The only exception to this rule is Republic Commando. I almost let off Force Unleashed for a moment or two, but then I get angry because of how hyped the game was compared to how linear and...well...boring, sixty-third-rate-GoW-Clone it was.

Historically, it's a bit of a sad moment, but that's mostly because of the old adventure game history Lucasarts once had. Even then, all of their competent game designers had long since jumped ship to form, amongst others, Telltale and Doublefine. 1313 will no doubt be picked up and finished at some point, and probably better for this shift in developers.

Shit. We might even get a Battlefront 3 and Republic Commando 2 now, finally. God knows the community's been crying for them, and there are devs who would LOVE to work on them.

There will still be Star Wars games coming out, and they'll probably be of the same or higher quality. In short? No loss whatsoever. Quit your collective bitching.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 04-05-13 at 06:37 AM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 09:07 AM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
I certainly did not recall seeing any mickey mouse ears or Disney musical numbers being sung
Clearly you weren't looking close enough

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-13, 02:04 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Every shooting star I've seen for the past 12 years, I've wished for a re-release of Grim Fandango that'll work on newer systems.

If this means that doesn't happen, I might actually kill myself.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 02:19 AM

emporershand89's Flag is: USA

Location: New England.....somewhere in that mess of awesomness!!

I hate to be "That Guy" Doelago, but I must ask where you got this information. It is true that Disney announced the cancellation of the two games that were being developed. That being said I would like to point out some quick facts that make is hard for me to believe such a claim as you have stated above.

When George Lucas signed over his Company to Disney, he had specific rights and privileges that he had put into the deal; and gave the ultimatum to Disney to either recognize those requests or not to bother attempting to merge. One of those was that his company would not be shut down. Bankrupt....possible. However I doubt Disney just bought such a company knowing this might not happen.

Lucas Arts is in the same spot our friends at THQ have been in. Poor leadership, lack of creativity, and a long absence from the market have killed profit and lead them to poor spending habits. However, unlike THQ, Lucas Arts is being guided by Disney, the parent company. Similar to the relationship of Infinity and Activision (just without all the name calling and asshole ) they are being pushed in a certain direction. Thus don't be surprised if you see them bounce back. I would wager Disney didnít like the games and scrapped them simply for that reason. They are probably focusing on newer games, or being incorporated into the Cinema Workhorse such as Weta Digital was when Peter Jackson founded it.

"Walk Softely, and Carry a Big Gun!"
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
X-Wing and Tie Fighter series? Totally Games.
Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy? Raven.
KOTOR/TOR? Bioware.
Battlefront? Pandemic.
WorLoKKed, may I make the note that every single one of those games with the exception of Rogue Squadron and the N-64 games had LucasArts name on it, in it, and rolling in the credits.

I beleive LucasArts is a producers, not the game designer. Similar to the fact that Bioware produced Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas, but it was Havoc Studio's that actually built and designed the game. Or Infinity who made COD:MW, but the game was produced by Activision. Just a note

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
I hate to be "That Guy" Doelago, but I must ask where you got this information.
There was (and surprise, still is) a link in my first post to an article from Kotaku...

The rest of my sources are here

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 02:03 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporershand89 View Post
WorLoKKed, may I make the note that every single one of those games with the exception of Rogue Squadron and the N-64 games had LucasArts name on it, in it, and rolling in the credits.

I beleive LucasArts is a producers, not the game designer. Similar to the fact that Bioware produced Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas, but it was Havoc Studio's that actually built and designed the game. Or Infinity who made COD:MW, but the game was produced by Activision. Just a note
Yes. I already said that they were the publishers. They were publishers and only publishers for all the good SW games. Lucasarts, however, have been mostly incapable of developing games that aren't complete horseshit for over a decade. Nothing of value was lost.

Also, you might want to actually look into things some time one day before spouting off shit.

For example, Bioware had nothing whatsoever to do with Fallout at any point. Fallout 3 was scraped together by Bethesda and the vastly superior New Vegas was made by Obsidian, who are primarily made of the old Black Isle team. Bethsoft only published NV.

And I think you mean published, not produced.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 04-28-13 at 02:06 PM.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 02:27 AM

Bioware actually was going to produce Fallout 3, then handed it over to Bethseda. Bethseda still allowed Havoc studios to finish the game. as for Fallout NV I admit I typed Bioware, thats should have been Bethseda. Obsidian was Bethseda's puppet so no offense my freind but lets be honest on that fact.

Published, produced; same thing. They fronted the money and put out the game. Havoc just created the darn things. as for LucasArts they "published/produced" some decent games at the time.

Star Wars Battlefront and SWB 2? They did hit the charts, made record sales for the time, and honestly set the standard for first person/third person shooters. This game later influenced a company by the name of Gearbox.....I'm sure your smart enough for the rest folks

So while I respect your position, I must gravely disagree with you. If anything many of those gamea are immortalised by the gaming community not only for the good gameplay, but there ties to Star Wars as a series.

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 02:28 AM

Thuogh I would be interested to know if anyone has heard news on SWBF 3?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode