A lesson to "gamers" everywhere... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

A lesson to "gamers" everywhere...

On pre-ordering games.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...red-Prescrewed

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 11:02 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Despite his ragey and sometimes melodramatic tone he raises some dam good points. I haven't played A:CM and wasn't aware of the bullshit around it till now but I have vouch for the fact the BL2 DLC's have been nowhere near the high point that was The Secret Armory of General Knox for the original, which is a real pity because BL2's story was amazing and it does seem like there has been a lack of effort made with the DLC's, they've really missed the mark.

This idea of trust and ownership between the developer and the customer is a very good one and I think affects not just the video game industry but all "geek" industries from sci-fi/tv films and TV through to war gaming to video games. Who owns a product after its been released? Do fans have a right to say "No this offering isn't good enough, as "investors" we aren't happy" or should we all just shut up and happily take whats presented to us regardless of their quality and sometimes deceptive method of delivery and marketing?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 11:19 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
This idea of trust and ownership between the developer and the customer is a very good one and I think affects not just the video game industry but all "geek" industries from sci-fi/tv films and TV through to war gaming to video games.
I'd say it applies to ALL industries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Who owns a product after its been released? Do fans have a right to say "No this offering isn't good enough, as "investors" we aren't happy" or should we all just shut up and happily take whats presented to us regardless of their quality and sometimes deceptive method of delivery and marketing?
Caveat emptor : Buyer beware. You take the risk to buy, not invest, a product before it is released then you are sacrificing surely for the sake of being first.

You do have recourse if the product, like any product, has been misrepresented in it's advertising but that might be a tricky thing with a video game whose box art generally is far in excess of the game art .
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 11:37 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
I'd say it applies to ALL industries.

Sorry I should have made that statement clearer, what i meant was "It's especially prominent in "geek" industries where portions of fan base can quite vocal"

Caveat emptor : Buyer beware. You take the risk to buy, not invest, a product before it is released then you are sacrificing surely for the sake of being first.

I meant investment in not purely the monetary way but emotional, word of mouth support, showing up to conventions etc I agree that you take a risk by pre-ordering but a developer lying to you by saying "This is actual gameplay footage" when really its a heavily scripted alternative gameplay specially prepped for publicity like its being claimed about A:CM is morally wrong and deceptive but this leads onto your next point.

You do have recourse if the product, like any product, has been misrepresented in it's advertising but that might be a tricky thing with a video game whose box art generally is far in excess of the game art .

I agree. It is very tricky with video game as game trailers are always different to game play etc and it gets murky when it comes to demos as the video points out, the court cases that went on with ME3 are good examples of different rulings in different countries that (in my eyes anyway) come down to simply opinion. What's thematically different to one person isn't to another and when you add millions of dollars at stake it gets even more loaded.
This is where this whole "trust" thing comes into play. Can developers be trusted to "reasonably" tell the truth anymore prior to release or has it reached a point like the video is saying where they are taking advantage of gamer's trust in them and delivering a substandard product because they know it will sell anyway thanks to hype and pre-orders?

I'm not sure thats a general question
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-13, 11:54 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Guess the only thing we have is "one bitten twice shy" in that if you get screwed over this time your not going to be so quick to pre-buy next time.

The "Geek" industry as you rightly point out is VERY impulsive and having the latest kit is so important that video game companies (and GW I might add) make quite a tasty living out of the impulsiveness.

Step 1 Passion
Step 2 Immaturity
Step 3 New cool stuff
Step 4 ......
Step 5 Profit !

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 03-21-13 at 11:57 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-13, 12:59 AM

Shas'Ui's Flag is: USA

Total Biscuit did one of these too, about the same game, but he made it before The Escapist so that's good enough for me. it's worth a look.

EDIT!!!: Just the other day, In Pointless Venting, I mentioned that I purchased Age of Empires II. it had a pre-order bonus of 20% off, and you can download it 3 whole days before it comes out normally. Well I went to my local Office Depot yesterday and they had it for 5 fucking bucks...

Last edited by Shas'Ui; 03-22-13 at 01:06 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-13, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

This is not the first video from Jim Sterling on A:CM.

This one is: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...lonial-Marines

And this one, about SimCity, is relevant: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...6978-SimShitty

Also, TotalBiscuit is probably the lamest person in game consumerism, ever since his beta 'coverage' of The Secret World in a livestream, I have hated his ignorant guts. Why would you play a game you have no insight in, and pass unfair, ignorant judgment on it with an audience of hundreds of thousands? Fuck that guy.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-13, 01:47 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Just watching that total biscuit video now and his point of "content being split off and is then only available from a specific retailer" (often in my case not in my country) is a very good one and is of no benefit to the wider industry as it only irritates fans. It sures fucks me off when living in NZ I get told that if I buy the game from "Shop A" then I get this extra game mode which I would actually like to play. Then I realize that Shop A is only in Aussie. Awesome

Holding back reviews is also an incredibly immoral move in my books. It doesn't seem right to me allow the game to be on sale effectively but not allow impartial views on it. It's even worse if you are allowing critics to play it but then not allow them to talk about it. Seriously WTF. If you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't have a problem with people talking about it. If you are proud of your product and have made it to the best of your ability then you shouldn't have an issue with people talking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
Also, TotalBiscuit is probably the lamest person in game consumerism, ever since his beta 'coverage' of The Secret World in a livestream, I have hated his ignorant guts. Why would you play a game you have no insight in, and pass unfair, ignorant judgment on it with an audience of hundreds of thousands? Fuck that guy.
I'd recommend putting aside that frustration and watching this vid, he makes some good points.

Last edited by Jacobite; 03-22-13 at 01:50 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-13, 08:57 AM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

and this my friends, is why I never pre ordered anything in my entire life.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-13, 02:04 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

So people are mad because marketing tactics worked? People are mad because they were convinced that a product would be great and it didn't live up to the hype?

I can understand that some people feel lied to by gaming companies but...

News Flash everybody. It's a gaming company's job to sell games. Their job is to make it so you want to buy games, be it by constantly making quality products or hyping the game in the media.

The best way to ensure that the company continues to make quality games is by voting with your money. When I worked at Gamestop I had plenty of people who refused to pre-order a game because the last game by that studio was bad. Follow that example and don't think that these companies are out to do anything beyond make a buck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode