EA wants to be hated by everyone - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 10:17 PM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

The way to handle microtransactions has already been perfected by games like LBP and League of Legends- The things you buy are not necessary, or truly beneficial even- THey are mostly cosmetic. There are exceptions, like LBP1's PotC pack where you got water which was cool to add to your level, but mostly, its costumes and skins. EA has been relatively good about not throwing overpowered DLC at you, aka pay-to-win, and if they can keep it to purely cosmetic stuff OK. If they start engineering games to be tedious and grueling, with a "get out of grind free" card you can buy, then it will be an issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 10:19 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
The way to handle microtransactions has already been perfected by games like LBP and League of Legends- The things you buy are not necessary, or truly beneficial even- THey are mostly cosmetic. There are exceptions, like LBP1's PotC pack where you got water which was cool to add to your level, but mostly, its costumes and skins. EA has been relatively good about not throwing overpowered DLC at you, aka pay-to-win, and if they can keep it to purely cosmetic stuff OK. If they start engineering games to be tedious and grueling, with a "get out of grind free" card you can buy, then it will be an issue.
Ok, cool. If it stays that way, then i'm cool with it.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 10:48 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseKrazyKasrkin View Post
You know i always said "i wish i could pay more money than the initial cost to get full enjoyment from a game" i enjoy and embrace this desicion.
Gamers of the world unite!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.

"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 11:03 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

It's a glass half / half empty thing.

"I have to pay extra to play the whole game" or " I CAN buy extra things for my game that I didn't have to pay for initially"
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-13, 11:45 PM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

If its dlc content additions like in skyrim I can get behind it, you're extending the playtime of a game which is good. But paying to get completely better weapons seems stupid, you're paying to make the game less challenging.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-13, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
But if you can still get something in game without paying for it, but you still have the option to pay for it to get it quicker, then I guess i'd be fine with it. If I can still earn that piece of gear without paying for it, cool, because i'm not going to waste money for something like that.

If it is just the format where the best gear is pay to get only, then i'm against it, because there are people who will not pay for it, but those that do pay for it will have one up on everyone. That ruins games for me.
I think its largely going to be dependent on a game by game basis, however I can say that they did it both ways in Dead Space 3.

For that game there were three options, the basic resource pack, the ultra pack, and the epic pack. Each one gave you more resources, with the ultra and epic packs also granting you mark V items. This be weapons or support attachments and they were always better than the standard.

You can collect resources throughout the game, so you don't have to get the packs for them unless you want a quick boost. Mark V items, however, can only be obtained through micro-transactions; in subsequent playthroughs you find mark II items, which are improvements over the originals and in many cases as good as the mark V stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
If its dlc content additions like in skyrim I can get behind it, you're extending the playtime of a game which is good. But paying to get completely better weapons seems stupid, you're paying to make the game less challenging.
You are and are not doing this, at least in dead space 3. The basic resource pack contains only that, resources; the other packs also give you stronger items. However what kind of stronger items you can get is dependent upon what items your currently have available (you only have a shot at improving the items you currently have access to.)

If EA goes that route on their other games then I am all for it.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Last edited by darkreever; 02-28-13 at 12:14 AM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-13, 12:20 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Thing is paying to get better stuff is pretty much the norm in MMPOG's so why not other games as well?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-13, 11:34 AM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

If idiots want Pay to Win in singleplayer games, sure. Let them buy it.
But if it becomes really tedious or undoable to enjoy game without buying extras, I simply won't buy that game.
Anyway, I'm not spending a cent on such stuff.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-13, 11:44 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

I can't wait for the argument to surface that EA is making the best stuff in every game so hard to get unless you buy it in micro transactions.

Then everyone will talk about how it was so much better "back in the day" when the best stuff was available to every player...

Mostly by grinding out millions in in game cash, or getting every trophy, or playing the game an exact certain way, or getting the ultra rare drop off of the one unique mob in the longest dungeon that requires you to reset the entire dungeon if you don't get it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode