The upcoming console race! More contenders than ever before! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-13, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Default The upcoming console race! More contenders than ever before!

The coming console generation looks like it will be a serious battlefield. The PS4 and Kickstarter Champion Ouya are the only ones with official specs released, but the five (!) other contenders are still ambiguous. That is a total of SEVEN consoles fighting for YOUR attention in 2013!

Playstation 4:
8 Core x86 1.6 Ghz CPU (AMD) ; Custom AMD GPU (1.84 Teraflops) w/ 2.2 GB of GDDR5 VRAM ; Dedicated video streaming chip (software only supports uStream though) ; 8 GB of DDR3 RAM. 160 GB storage, unknown whether it is a mechanical, flash or SSD drive.

Microsoft Nextbox
Identical CPU to the PS4 ; Unknown GPU (too many different rumours to be precise) ; 8 GB of RAM ; 500 GB storage.

Steambox
4-core (8 thread) 3.4 Ghz CPU (probably Intel) ; Unknown GPU ; 8 GB of DDR3 RAM ; 240 GB SSD drive storage ; Fully modular, upgradeable by the least tech-savvy person on the planet ; environmentally friendly focus

Ouya
Dual core 2 Ghz CPU with Integrated Nvidia graphics. Geared towards 2D gaming on Android. Can also run less intensive 3D games (pre-2010). The smallest console on offer, when considering the main unit only, no larger than a small teacup.

Gamestick
Gamestick is the smallest system, console and peripheral in one. Specs are unknown, but the main unit is no larger than a USB dongle.

Nvidia Shield
The Shield is a console similar to the WiiU, but with greater hardware and streaming capabilities. Furthermore, the entire console is in your hand whilst playing.

WiiU
WiiU was the first console announced this generation, and is already looking quite underpowered next to the PS4 and the Steambox. This will likely be the big flop of the generation. Sales so far are woefully abysmal.

===========Which one is your favourite?===========
Answering: "PC" is a valid option

My personal choice would be the Steambox. It has the greatest games library by a long shot, and while it is a PC in all respects, it has all the trappings in place for the inept user that doesn't want to ever see a desktop. The upgrading is foolproof, so in all respects it is a PC for the lowest common denominator, with greater hardware power than any of the other consoles. And for the normal PC gamer, it doesn't take any effort at all to use it as a normal PC system. If there is any justice in the world, the Steambox will emerge the biggest seller.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Last edited by MetalHandkerchief; 02-22-13 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-13, 03:10 AM
Embrace the Insanity

Insanity's Flag is: Australia

I'm just gonna go with the PS4
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-13, 04:46 AM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-13, 11:25 AM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

PC. Still had better shelf life and more versitile.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-13, 11:50 AM
Embrace the Insanity

Insanity's Flag is: Australia

My PC is still pretty decent, I don't need to update it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-13, 06:18 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Not really concerned with the "next gen" systems yet I'll wait till they've been out for a year before I make my decision.

Btw Metal, you were off on the specs for the PS4. It's running 8 gigs of GDDR5 not DDR3 for ram

Last edited by Wusword77; 02-23-13 at 07:58 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-13, 06:06 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Despite the great offerings, i will probably not get my son a console to replace his ps3 and get him an alienware laptop instead. Big dollars for sure but mine has been so good that i would like to bring him over to the same platform as me so i can play with him. Admittedly though the steambox would probably do that same job very well. So my choice would be
PC
then steambox

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-13, 06:07 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

fuck. double post.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode