Sony news - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-13, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Fantasy Rumors

revilo44's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Sony news

If any of ps3 fans out there we got some news
http://news.sky.com/story/1054408/so...-reveal-future

Sanity is for the weak

check out what im working on http://instagram.com/revilo444
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-13, 07:11 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

looks like my Christmas present 2013 is sorted

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-13, 11:41 AM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Try to keep an open mind, you might be very disappointed...

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-13, 11:48 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

It would be bloody hilarious if they announced something else than a PS4.

Microsoft has pissed me off enough that I am out of the Xbox camp next gen, but then I hated my PS1 & PS2 quite a lot as well, so yea. Sony has to do one heck of a show to sway me from getting a proper gaming PC instead.

Current gaming set up: iPad/iPhone + Apple TV. Really hardcore.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-13, 11:27 AM
Ranty ranter!

No backward compatibility, chunkiest controller a PS has had, the games on display weren't the leap in tech that was imagined by most. Still, it'll probably sell better than the PS3 due to cheaper hardware and thus a lower price.

Most of all though, the PS4 looks if possible even less able to compete with computers than the PS3 was, seeing as how the 4K resolution standard is coming, and probably only on PC unless the new Xbox gets a foot in.

Hell, once the Nvidia Maxwell GPU hits the market, a computer with one should easily be able to emulate anything on the PS3 or PS4 level of horsepower.

To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-13, 11:41 AM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
No backward compatibility, chunkiest controller a PS has had, the games on display weren't the leap in tech that was imagined by most. Still, it'll probably sell better than the PS3 due to cheaper hardware and thus a lower price.

Most of all though, the PS4 looks if possible even less able to compete with computers than the PS3 was, seeing as how the 4K resolution standard is coming, and probably only on PC unless the new Xbox gets a foot in.

Hell, once the Nvidia Maxwell GPU hits the market, a computer with one should easily be able to emulate anything on the PS3 or PS4 level of horsepower.
Did they ditch the no used games policy?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-13, 01:34 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ball's in your court, Microsoft. Have fun with that 'always online' thing that Sony have also said they won't be doing.

Everything so far points to Sony pretty solidly learning from past mistakes themselves and others have made over the last generation.

That said, if the content and the distribution is anywhere near as good as it potentially looks to be, I forsee them retaking the throne that the PS2 sat on pretty easily.

Last edited by WoRLoKKeD; 02-21-13 at 01:37 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-13, 01:48 PM
Ranty ranter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokis222 View Post
Did they ditch the no used games policy?
Not sure about that. They will have a streaming service for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games you already own though. Of course, available only to the best internet connections. I'm getting more and more fed up with gaming corporations blissfully ignoring the majority of the planet that don't live in cities that are laced with fiberoptic internet on every corner.

Anyway, official hardware specs:

System memory: 8GB
Nothing said about memory frequency, latency or bandwith. Probably just a middling DDR3 spec.

Video Memory: 2.2GB
Doesn't seem enough for the new 4K resolution standard coming, thus there is no reason to believe that the PS4 will even try to get on the level of upcoming PC builds.

CPU: 4x Dual Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (8 core)
Doesn't seem good enough. The current gen of AMD CPUs are so far behind Intel that this seems like a huge waste. However, it is reasonable to assume that Intel has an exclusive deal with Microsoft's new Xbox 720, and thus the PS4 lost the race already here. At least it shouldn't have heat issues.

GPU: AMD R10xx
Southern Island chip, will be somewhere in AMD's existing 7000 range of GPUs. Thus, nothing special, most gaming PCs built in the past year and a half should already be exceeding this, unless it's the 7950, which is hard to believe considering cost.

Ports: 4x USB 3.0 2 Ethernet

Disc Drive: Bluray

HDD: 160 GB
Abysmal. Probably a special-built HDD prioritized towards longevity rather than space. The fact that it isn't an SSD is enough to be a dealbreaker to many. PS4 buyers will still be stuck in the year 2000 when it comes to loading screen times. Also another indicator that the PS4 won't be delivering the new 4K resolution standard, since the texture loading between HDD and GRAM will be as slow as you probably could imagine if you've ever played, say, Skyrim on max installed on an HDD. Doubling the texture resolutions don't even become an option unless you're a loading screen/ stutter fetishist...

Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1, 7.1.

TL:DR - I think the Xbox 720 will be better in every way, as it'll probably have a more sensible Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU, and most importantly, the deal with Intel probably also will mean an SSD drive.

To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-13, 04:44 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you took two seconds to think about it, you'd realize that raw power means precisely fuck all in a console. You can theorycraft all you like, but you're not one of the developers building games on a system using primarily tried and tested systems. As such, your entirely superfluous OPINION on the hardware being used means less than nothing.

Realistically, what is there is a system an order of magnitude better than the current generation of consoles at launch that is comparable to a mid-range gaming PC. As such, this means that the early games created before developers are fully used to the architecture already as it's what they're DEVELOPING the games on. Already at launch the system will be able to perform far, far better than anything currently out there.

As the life cycle of the PS4 goes on, developers will know how to optimize, shortcut and otherwise pull all the console dev tricks that they typically do to get impressive results across the entire life of the system, as they have with the now-laughably-specced current generation. To reiterate, it doesn't matter what you think about the hardware being used, because enough developers and investors have clearly already bought into the system that it's being developed, so they are clearly impressed enough to commit to a system that will be pushed and unlocked like every single console before it.

tl;dr: Ignore the speculation and stupid, uninformed opinions on the hardware involved, and instead remember that both PS4 and the new MS console will be pushed far further than people expect them to be at launch.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-13, 06:05 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
System memory: 8GB
Nothing said about memory frequency, latency or bandwith. Probably just a middling DDR3 spec.
Per tech radar It's GDDR5. That's gonna be pretty fast. Faster then the leaked 8GB GDDR3 for the Xbox 720.

Quote:
Video Memory: 2.2GB
Doesn't seem enough for the new 4K resolution standard coming, thus there is no reason to believe that the PS4 will even try to get on the level of upcoming PC builds.
From the article I will link below:

In a chat with Kotaku, Sony has revealed that the PlayStation 4 will be able to playback 4K/Ultra HD video. However, it will not upscale to 4K or play games at 4K resolution.

Sony has no intention of going to 4k resolution at this point. And even if 4k becomes the new standard in half the time HD did we'll still be looking at a few years before it becomes an issue for the average consumer.

Quote:
CPU: 4x Dual Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (8 core)
Doesn't seem good enough. The current gen of AMD CPUs are so far behind Intel that this seems like a huge waste. However, it is reasonable to assume that Intel has an exclusive deal with Microsoft's new Xbox 720, and thus the PS4 lost the race already here. At least it shouldn't have heat issues.
Another Quote:

Post-event, Sony revealed the system runs on a single-chip custom processor and utilizes eight x86-64 AMD Jaguar CPU cores

The CPU is custom built for the system, so we'll have to see the the live specs when released. Your assumption is also false, if you go by the leaked spec's that are currently out. It seems like Microsoft went with AMD for their CPU and GPU, just like Sony.

Quote:
GPU: AMD R10xx
Southern Island chip, will be somewhere in AMD's existing 7000 range of GPUs. Thus, nothing special, most gaming PCs built in the past year and a half should already be exceeding this, unless it's the 7950, which is hard to believe considering cost.
Last quote I'll use:

The "highly enhanced PC GPU" packs 18 GCN units - that may sound a like a lot of techy mumbo jumbo but what it essentially means is that the GPU packs 18 processing clusters, each packing up to 64 cores. That provides a lot of parallel processing power, and will thus handle the majority of the PS4's grunt work. It hits 1.84 TFLOPS of processing mojo.

Quote:
HDD: 160 GB
Abysmal. Probably a special-built HDD prioritized towards longevity rather than space. The fact that it isn't an SSD is enough to be a dealbreaker to many. PS4 buyers will still be stuck in the year 2000 when it comes to loading screen times. Also another indicator that the PS4 won't be delivering the new 4K resolution standard, since the texture loading between HDD and GRAM will be as slow as you probably could imagine if you've ever played, say, Skyrim on max installed on an HDD. Doubling the texture resolutions don't even become an option unless you're a loading screen/ stutter fetishist...
If anything I'd say they will use flash memory like the do in the current PS3's. I doubt they'll be heading back to an old HDD. Given the size of the HD that's what I would expect.

Quote:
TL:DR - I think the Xbox 720 will be better in every way, as it'll probably have a more sensible Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU, and most importantly, the deal with Intel probably also will mean an SSD drive.
Given that we know that the Xbox 720 will be using AMD hardware for their system I doubt we'll see anything like what you're suggesting.

TL;DR - You can find the article I pulled the PS4 specs from here (Thanks Tech Radar) You can also find a spec sheet below (Thanks to the following blog for the link )

Metal, it sounds like your an Xbox fan boy wish listing for the next Xbox to be the gaming messiah. It won't be and we've known that for a long time.

And remember kids. No home home gaming system ever beat out High End gaming systems at launch.

Last edited by Wusword77; 02-21-13 at 06:11 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode