Sony news - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-13, 08:00 PM

WoRLoKKeD's Flag is: United Kingdom

Careful with your logic, reason and facts, Wusword. You'll have somebody's eye out.

Let's face it though. Raw power is worthless and wasted in a console. While it might be nice to brag about to convince yourself that early adoption was worth it, these fairly-niceish-if-it-were-a-pc specs are used entirely differently so have no valid comparison to existing market products. The numbers aren't for the consumer, they're for the developer. Anyone who argues otherwise is, well, a tiny little bit thick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-13, 11:57 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Let's face it though. Raw power is worthless and wasted in a console. While it might be nice to brag about to convince yourself that early adoption was worth it, these fairly-niceish-if-it-were-a-pc specs are used entirely differently so have no valid comparison to existing market products. The numbers aren't for the consumer, they're for the developer. Anyone who argues otherwise is, well, a tiny little bit thick.
You are correct, too bad most PC gamers insist that because of the "poor" specs on home consoles that gaming is "held back."
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-13, 04:14 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
Metal, it sounds like your an Xbox fan boy
Not at all, I'm a strictly PC gamer trying to make sense of the decision made by Sony to go AMD.

Anyways, having done some checking, you are correct that Microsoft's leaked specs show an AMD CPU. My bad. However, you should note that the only GDDR5 memory in the PS4 is the 2.2 GB attributed to the GPU, not the 8 GB which will be DDR3.

You also confirmed my suspicion of their not even thinking about super-HD (4K) and thus I don't see the business sense in this console.

----About Intel's part in all this----

Having checked even more around, it seems the STEAMBOX will be Intel-powered. It's leaked specs shows a 4-core 3.4 Ghz CPU. Now, that doesn't tell us specifically that it's an Intel CPU, but it does match the i5-3570K to the tee, and if this is true I will put my hat up for dinner that the Steambox will be the go-to console of the immediate future.

Not only is the Steambox an ingenious design, with a cubical motherboard layout wrapped around the turbine style airflow, it's upgradeable by any mouth breather who has played with Lego before and it's environmentally sound in that your outdated modules gets sent back to the MFT for a discount on the upgrade.

I'll also take 4 cores @ 3.4 GhZ over 8 cores @ 1.6 Ghz ANY day of the week, especially considering that if it's an Intel CPU the architecture itself is 35% more efficient per clock!

There will even be two different price points, $500 and $1000, and they got it right with an SSD inside on both. It's also probably going to be smaller than both the PS4 and Xbox just because of it's design. Enough talk:

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-13, 12:07 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHandkerchief View Post
Anyways, having done some checking, you are correct that Microsoft's leaked specs show an AMD CPU. My bad. However, you should note that the only GDDR5 memory in the PS4 is the 2.2 GB attributed to the GPU, not the 8 GB which will be DDR3.
In the Spec sheet I linked, which was given out by Sony post conference, it shows that the GDD5 is used for the 8 gigs of memory. If you have another source that states differently, please link it.

Quote:
You also confirmed my suspicion of their not even thinking about super-HD (4K) and thus I don't see the business sense in this console.
Because 4K won't be the standard for TV's until a few years into the PS4 life cycle. Much like how HDMI didn't become THE standard until several years into the PS3/Xbox 360 life style.

Quote:
----About Intel's part in all this----

Having checked even more around, it seems the STEAMBOX will be Intel-powered. It's leaked specs shows a 4-core 3.4 Ghz CPU. Now, that doesn't tell us specifically that it's an Intel CPU, but it does match the i5-3570K to the tee, and if this is true I will put my hat up for dinner that the Steambox will be the go-to console of the immediate future.

Not only is the Steambox an ingenious design, with a cubical motherboard layout wrapped around the turbine style airflow, it's upgradeable by any mouth breather who has played with Lego before and it's environmentally sound in that your outdated modules gets sent back to the MFT for a discount on the upgrade.

I'll also take 4 cores @ 3.4 GhZ over 8 cores @ 1.6 Ghz ANY day of the week, especially considering that if it's an Intel CPU the architecture itself is 35% more efficient per clock!

There will even be two different price points, $500 and $1000, and they got it right with an SSD inside on both. It's also probably going to be smaller than both the PS4 and Xbox just because of it's design. Enough talk:

Youtube - Steambox - Q&A
Well, that's great news, except why would any PC gamer bother with a Steambox? Why not just build an actual PC for a similar price point, as the i5 chips are not exactly top of the line. I'm holding my opinion on this "console" until we get an actual launch date, specs, and other information. We don't have a whole lot to go on now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode