Two Hours Of Aliens Colonial Marines - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Baron Spikey's Avatar
Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cheshire/Staffordshire
Posts: 6,034
Reputation: 5


Default

COD, Battlefield, Halo etc are the main competition for any FPS that comes out, so the idea is to make a game that handles as well as them, it doesn't have to be a carbon copy but certainly the gameplay shouldn't be atrocious in comparison.

ACM is not a good game under any criteria;
Graphics? Terrible.
AI? Wank.
Overall Gameplay? Jesus wept.
Baron Spikey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 09:36 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
 
Tawa's Avatar
Tawa's Flag is: Scotland
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 8,550
Reputation: 92


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
ACM is not a good game under any criteria;
Graphics? Terrible.
AI? Wank.
Overall Gameplay? Jesus wept.
I think I'll wait until it hits the bargain bin........


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.

"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
Tawa is offline  
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 04:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Aramoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,879
Reputation: 5


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
ACM is a great game it's what aliens 3 should have been.
I can only assume you're mentally ill if you think it's a great game, it's really not.

It's not just a touch buggy, the AI is so horrifically bad that it really has no place on a games shelf. An Aliens games which does not feature shooting Aliens for the majority of your time is a bad Aliens game.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
Aramoro is offline  
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
BlackGuard's Avatar
BlackGuard's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: In the shadows ...
Posts: 703
Reputation: 6


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
I think I'll wait until it hits the bargain bin........
May want to wait until the store is going out of business from what I've heard from my buddies who bought it.

Even then ... haggle a little bit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
BlackGuard is offline  
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,685
Reputation: 10


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
COD, Battlefield, Halo etc are the main competition for any FPS that comes out, so the idea is to make a game that handles as well as them, it doesn't have to be a carbon copy but certainly the gameplay shouldn't be atrocious in comparison.

ACM is not a good game under any criteria;
Graphics? Terrible.
AI? Wank.
Overall Gameplay? Jesus wept.
Which is the problem. COD sucks. Halo isn't the same game it was. Battlefield lost the magic it once had.
Reaper45 is offline  
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
LukeValantine's Avatar
LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Regina, Sask, Canada
Posts: 4,284
Reputation: 21


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Which is the problem. COD sucks. Halo isn't the same game it was. Battlefield lost the magic it once had.
Give it up its a bad game by all accounts not just COD, halo, hell I am not a fan of either. For the love of god read a review or two the game fails as a game, not as competition to main stream shooters. AI=shit, multilayer=unbalanced and glitchy, graphics=shit....yah its not that its not COD its that its a unfinished mess. YOur fan boy level is through the roof on this one, and believe it or not thats why I'm pissed to I just have the dignity to admit its a stinker of a game. Hell I have every special edition of the aliens movies out there. Even compared to AVP2 this game is substandard.

Also for your information games like black light and dust kick the shit out of this game as shooters, hell even planet side2 is better by most accounts. So before you throw around insults and accusations about fan boyism think for a second would you?


Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
LukeValantine is offline  
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 06:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Baron Spikey's Avatar
Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cheshire/Staffordshire
Posts: 6,034
Reputation: 5


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Which is the problem. COD sucks. Halo isn't the same game it was. Battlefield lost the magic it once had.
Not saying that the gameplay is a stunning work of art but they're all playable, intuitive, and none of them make me want to launch my tv and xbox out the window before performing voodoo on the game disc in order to curse all those who had a hand in its creation.
Baron Spikey is offline  
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,685
Reputation: 10


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeValantine View Post
Give it up its a bad game by all accounts not just COD, halo, hell I am not a fan of either. For the love of god read a review or two the game fails as a game, not as competition to main stream shooters. AI=shit, multilayer=unbalanced and glitchy, graphics=shit....yah its not that its not COD its that its a unfinished mess. YOur fan boy level is through the roof on this one, and believe it or not thats why I'm pissed to I just have the dignity to admit its a stinker of a game. Hell I have every special edition of the aliens movies out there. Even compared to AVP2 this game is substandard.

Also for your information games like black light and dust kick the shit out of this game as shooters, hell even planet side2 is better by most accounts. So before you throw around insults and accusations about fan boyism think for a second would you?
No offense but you're an idiot if you believe that.

I already stated that I knew I was buying a low budget shooter based on a low budget series of movies. I'd much rather spend my $50 on a crappy shooter such as this than a high budget remake of a game that is released every year.

I purchased COD world at war. Modern warfare 1, 2 and blacks ops. My interest stayed in black ops just because a few real life friends played. I have no interest in COD. Why? Because it's a generic shooter. It does nothing interesting or fun. At least ACM tries. Sure it's never going to be on the level as AVP 2000 but at least it tried.

Call me a fan boy all you want but I actually see what games like COD are doing to the PC game market and I refuse to be part of it.
Reaper45 is offline  
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
LukeValantine's Avatar
LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Regina, Sask, Canada
Posts: 4,284
Reputation: 21


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
No offense but you're an idiot if you believe that.

I already stated that I knew I was buying a low budget shooter based on a low budget series of movies. I'd much rather spend my $50 on a crappy shooter such as this than a high budget remake of a game that is released every year.

It does nothing interesting or fun. At least ACM tries. Sure it's never going to be on the level as AVP 2000 but at least it tried. Name one god damn thing that it tried to do different? Did it try to do quick time events different? NO. Did it try a new weapon system or game mechanic? NO (see every single CoD game). Hell the only thing that is unique is the setting and even that borrowed from doom and even half life when it wasn't just taking g artwork from Geiger and the first few movies. Oh and lets not forget the fact that even multilayer stays in a safe bubble of familiarity done better by other games. Hell I am starting to wounder if you even played the damn game at this point.
So in other words you didn't even read my post? If you noticed the examples I gave where not high budget remakes. Also you admittance that your standards where low going in ruins any valid argument you had. Fact is I am all for lower budget games, and invocation, but come on colonial marines is neither and even steals from the mainstream shooters (Leveling up, gun attachments? WHY?). Face it your argument makes zero sense as colonial marines is just a generic shooter that tries and emulate a lot of the bigger shooters that you claim to have a problem with. I mean what the hell is the point of your argument? don't bash colonial marines because its a game I had low expectation for going into, which by the way blatantly tries and emulate the COD? Are you insane or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? Hell next you will be defending duke nukem.

Note you are entitled to your opinion, but nothing you said so far is a defense of colonial marines, and the only point you even presented that resembles a defense is its not CoD or halo......and all the while people like me that have actually been playing all the other shooters that try to innovate the genre (Brink, Dust, Blacklight) are face palming so hard at the fact you don't even mention one redeeming feature of the game while doing so.

See my point is not that you are a fanboy, my point is your fanboyism is blinding you from giving the game the critical evaluation it deserves. Now excuse me while I go play some boderlands and other games that don't screw the pouch so hard it can't walk afterwards.

So please enlighten us oh wise one why the game is worth picking up, and why its beyond criticism because of its sheltered status as not CoD? In fact your statements on the matter make you look more like a sheep then a rebel as hating on halo and Cod without voicing why its worth doing so is no different from people playing CoD because its the hip mainstream shooter (Which isn't even the god damn argument being made here F*&^).

You know what would have been a innovative new game this
why couldn't we have this huh.


Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come

Last edited by LukeValantine; 02-14-13 at 08:41 PM.
LukeValantine is offline  
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-13, 09:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,685
Reputation: 10


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeValantine View Post
So in other words you didn't even read my post? If you noticed the examples I gave where not high budget remakes. Also you admittance that your standards where low going in ruins any valid argument you had. Fact is I am all for lower budget games, and invocation, but come on colonial marines is neither and even steals from the mainstream shooters (Leveling up, gun attachments? WHY?). Face it your argument makes zero sense as colonial marines is just a generic shooter that tries and emulate a lot of the bigger shooters that you claim to have a problem with. I mean what the hell is the point of your argument? don't bash colonial marines because its a game I had low expectation for going into, which by the way blatantly tries and emulate the COD? Are you insane or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? Hell next you will be defending duke nukem.

Note you are entitled to your opinion, but nothing you said so far is a defense of colonial marines, and the only point you even presented that resembles a defense is its not CoD or halo......and all the while people like me that have actually been playing all the other shooters that try to innovate the genre (Brink, Dust, Blacklight) are face palming so hard at the fact you don't even mention one redeeming feature of the game while doing so.

See my point is not that you are a fanboy, my point is your fanboyism is blinding you from giving the game the critical evaluation it deserves. Now excuse me while I go play some boderlands and other games that don't screw the pouch so hard it can't walk afterwards.

So please enlighten us oh wise one why the game is worth picking up, and why its beyond criticism because of its sheltered status as not CoD? In fact your statements on the matter make you look more like a sheep then a rebel as hating on halo and Cod without voicing why its worth doing so is no different from people playing CoD because its the hip mainstream shooter (Which isn't even the god damn argument being made here F*&^).

You know what would have been a innovative new game this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fHv4wQJfSY why couldn't we have this huh.
No I stopped reading full posts or caring what people had to say after being called retarded by another member.

as for the last part. I'm not surprised. I have yet to play a game that lives up to it's hype.

However ACM gives me a proper closure to the alien series. After the disappointment of alien 3 and resurrection I'm quite happy with the plot of ACM.

I played blacklight tribes and so forth. And none of them do it for me. ACM gives me that feeling of being there that the movie didn't.
Reaper45 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome