my PC plays Oblivion better than Morrowind? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

Default my PC plays Oblivion better than Morrowind?

Im trying to play Morrowind but the framerate is horrible and it takes a few seconds for my mouse and keyboard to register.

Oblivion on full settings runs smooth...

i just have a shitty computer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-13, 03:43 AM
Grr! That is all.
WaLkAwaY's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord_Winters View Post
Im trying to play Morrowind but the framerate is horrible and it takes a few seconds for my mouse and keyboard to register.

Oblivion on full settings runs smooth...

i just have a shitty computer
If you can run oblivion on full settings then your computer is not poopy. You have to take into consideration that Morrowind is older and did not have the enhancements that Oblivion and Skyrim has. You can go to a site that hosts mods and dld enhancements for Morrowind that will improve performance tremendously. These are mods made by the community that realized something was just not quite right with it.

I am not sure about how Heresy Online views posting links to other sites even ones that do not share similar subject matter so if you are interested I will PM you a site that has everything you could possibly want for almost ALL Bethesda games but definitely Fallout , Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

EDIT: After reading that first paragraph it sounds funny. What I mean is the Morrowind code is just not put together as well as Oblivion. In my opinion anyway.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.” – Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

War does not care about convenience or inclement weather. Neither should your training. ~Me (Okay really my brother and I felt bad for stealing it)

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-13, 01:43 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Morrowind had mesh-based foliage and plants, while Oblivion's are speedtree sprites. This is the major difference. You will find that Morrowind can be harder on your CPU just because of this. More vertices of geometry in play. Turn down geometry and you should see an improvement. The rendering distance of objects and actors is also going to raise performance.

Back in Morrowind's heyday, CPUs were single-core, and so each CPU had all it's weight on that one core. These days, a low-end duo or quad core Celeron (which you'll find in many prefab or budget built computers) will be much, much weaker in these kinds of games than a mid to high end CPU back then. Allocate your resources accordingly.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode