VGA winners announced - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-12, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Default VGA winners announced

The results of this years VGA`s are out, and you can check the results here.

"The Walking Dead: The Game" racked up a whole lot of awards ranging from overall Game of the Year to Best Female Voice Actor, while Halo 4 grabbed top spots in Best Xbox Game and Best Graphics.

What do you think? Did the games that deserved to win win? Or do you disagree with some of the choices? Discuss.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-12, 08:45 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Watched the video streaming for a few this morning. When I saw that Claptrap won Character of the Year, I did what anyone would have done.

"I DRANK ANTI-FREEZE!!"

Very happy with Claptrap's win as CotY and Borderlands 2 winning Multiplayer Game of the Year.

And Dark Souls 2 being announced is glorious news indeed, glorious!

LotN

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-12, 03:07 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

don't really agree with these.

best fps ... really?

best fighting game missed a bunch of much better ones.

best independent was a pile of meh.

best multiplayer... disagree.

best pc game?

a lot of the games, let alone the winners, don't even deserve honourable mentions.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-12, 08:07 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokis222 View Post
don't really agree with these.

best fps ... really?

best pc game?

a lot of the games, let alone the winners, don't even deserve honourable mentions.
Thoughts on what should have won in those categories then?

Personally I think it's a pretty fair list. Not accounting for personal taste of course.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-12, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
Personally I think it's a pretty fair list. Not accounting for personal taste of course.
its a list of who you would expect to see and is more representative of best sellers than best games.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-08-12, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokis222 View Post
best fps ... really?

tribes, super monday night combat, counter strike global offensive, spec ops the line, and a few others

skull girls for one. there are others.

trine 2, legend of grimrock

tribes, super monday night combat, counter strike global

best pc game?

spec ops the line, legend of grimrock, and many others
a lot of their top 5 are pretty ass games.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-12, 06:50 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Its almost always the same. Some high profile games gets wins. Many of internetbased game "review" sites are not neutral in anyway. They get paid by companies to do favourable reviews on their games and can see almost no difference there.

Like previous poster said, most are just "eyecandy" games, good for few hours of entertainment but now much for longterm. Assassin Creed series i like, but only get these games when they under 20 euros.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-12, 10:49 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Why has Farcry 3 not even been mentioned at least ONCE?!?! Seems a big oversight to me.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-12, 12:29 AM

The only guess i have is that it is not actually the 2012 awards. came out too early.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-12, 12:27 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninman View Post
Its almost always the same. Some high profile games gets wins. Many of internetbased game "review" sites are not neutral in anyway. They get paid by companies to do favourable reviews on their games and can see almost no difference there.

Like previous poster said, most are just "eyecandy" games, good for few hours of entertainment but now much for longterm. Assassin Creed series i like, but only get these games when they under 20 euros.
This. The video game industry is outright plagued by marketing lopsidedness, corrupt press (though I feel this particular problem is slightly exaggerated) and non-innovative publishers.

Some game developers legitimately try to do great things in this medium, with great ideas, new intellectual properties, innovative gameplay and higher production values. Unfortunately, they are so reliant on publishers of which 96% are never going to take chances on new games, thus we get the same drivel repetition.

Telltale Game's The Walking Dead however, is a great series, and while it's rare to see true talent being lauded in this industry, this is one time where I feel like they got it right, more or less.

Halo 4 however was nothing but gnat's piss, unsubstantial, repetitive action with a greatly exaggerated script and execution that doesn't set itself apart from it's previous games in any real or meaningful way.

This year was slow for good titles, I'll grant you that, but Dishonored, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and even some indie titles like Faster Than Light did remarkable things that deserved recognition but got none.

November-December is the time of the year where the safest biggest budget, guaranteed cash-in games are targeted towards. Neither Hitman Absolution, Halo 4 or Far Cry 3 deserve a mention. The latter at least tried for about 10 minutes in the opening to establish why the protagonist is there and to inform the gravity of his situation, but fell apart later and turned into every game ever.

The main problem is the consumers. They see video games as something trivial to waste time on, low-investment entertainment they don't expect to have to think about much deeper than the baddie shooting at them, so true artworks with great character and emotion-provoking questions and informed actions, investment from the player other than "click this" always get missed.

As a result, a writer for a video game doesn't get paid as well as he would get for even most TV or direct-to-DVD movies, and that's why games are so average right now that Halo 4 can just show up and automatically win an award by not changing it's formulaic appearance one bit.

The Walking Dead absolutely deserved every bit of attention it got.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode