XBOX 720 Revealed by Leak: Images and Initial Specs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Default XBOX 720 Revealed by Leak: Images and Initial Specs

Afternoon All,

Speculation has certainly been growing over the past few months about the 'Next Gen' Consoles but now we seen to have a few leaks in Microsoft usually water tight armour.

It seems the Specifications for the Xbox 720 have been revealed and also a few images.

While is not the best looking piece of technology, more like an expensive toaster or desktop printer, it seems to pack quite a punch in hardware terms.

Quote:
“The next-generation will be here soon, a couple of years,” said John Carmack, the man behind Doom and Quake, of the Xbox 720. “It'll be another ten times as powerful as this generation. I'd be surprised if that doesn't last over a decade before people wind up saying, well, we've really tapped out everything you could possibly do on there."

Carmack’s comments were backed up by Gadget site Fudzilla which claimed to have more concrete details on the heavily revamped processing abilities of the Xbox 720. It stated: "If speculation is correct, which our sources believe it is, the power behind the next Xbox will be a PowerPC CPU that is married to an ATI Southern Islands GPU, or modified 7000 series."
Quote:
Tipped as being powerful enough to read users’ lips, the second-generation Kinect add-on will also host the ability to sense when gamers are angry and calculate in which direction they are facing.

Building on the current popular but heavily limited platform the touted Kinect 2 is said to offer increased user interaction and data transfer speeds with the now somewhat aging USB connection to be replaced by a faster means of teathering. An improved sensor and heightened voice recognition will ensure the Kinect follow-up allows for more detailed and core gaming experiences.

The Controller looks fairly standard though, just 'limousined' to include a small touch screen.

Quote:
As well as outing the new controller, the Xbox World report has claimed the eagerly awaited Xbox 720 "will be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player, finger-tracking Kinect."

On the potential tablet styled controller, the report added the input device will boast a "HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.

"That touchcreen will be second only to Kinect in how you operate your console. It could be a remote control when you're watching TV, a browser when you're on the internet, extra buttons and information when you're playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you."

Blue Ray capability seems to have been ruled out.

Quote:
MCV claim to have spoken to a source which attended a top secret briefing at which Microsoft revealed there would be no DVD or Blu-ray drive on the Xbox 720, instead opting for a SSD cartridge system or digital downloads.

Speaking on the matter last year, Stephen McGill, who handles Microsoft Xbox in the UK, said: "I think people now recognise what a smart decision it was to keep the pricing low, and actually Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format. People have moved through from DVDs to digital downloads and digital streaming, so we offer full HD 1080p Blu-ray quality streaming instantly, no download, no delay. So, who needs Blu-ray?"

Everyone likes a good codename and most famously the NGC was codenamed Dolphin, which amused many, in a good way. However I'm sure the one chosen for the 720 will be amusement of a less good natured kind.

Quote:
Revealed via micro blogging site Twitter, industry blog Kotaku reported that Technical Designer at the Crysis developer studio Sean Tracy outed the future Xbox device as falling under the codename of ‘Durango’.

Something of a less joyous kind now. I'm sure there are those of you who have less money then can pay the bills and are stuck to getting Pre-Owned Games, Or maybe a few of you prefer waiting for the current big release to be played and discarded by the fan boys so you can get it on the second hand market.

Well, those days are soon to be over, if you play the 720:

Quote:
With Xbox 720 games already reportedly in the works Kotaku has cited a "reliable industry source" in claiming that Microsoft will implement new features preventing gamers picking up cheap second-hand copies of the latest core titles potentially spelling an end to the pre-owned games market.

Whilst it is unclear exactly how Microsoft would implement such a move the mooted experience hampering feature would cause a rift between developers and publishers who would relish the possibility of increased revenues and retailers and end users, both of whom would be on the negative end of such a deal.

Unless Sony followed a similar route with its own next-generation console, the long mooted Sony PS4, Microsoft’s touted move of preventing the use of second-hand games could spell the end of the Xbox brand.

So that's what we have so far, like it or loathe it, it seems to be coming within a year or two.
Anyone excited? or, like me, do you just not really care

Alice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger

Last edited by SGMAlice; 11-20-12 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 01:13 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

I think it looks good and was sort of excited at first... But no optical drive, just streaming games/downloading them? Thats about the point when I remembered that its Microcrap thats doing the machine. I dont do that sort of shit, so fuck them.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 02:18 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

no bluray/dvd drive ? im out , i own at least a thousand dvds and blu rays and im also partial to selling a game if its crap or i wont play it again, plus this also means the machine isnt backwards compatible.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 02:40 PM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

I really don't get these motion controls that consoles are heading towards. The last thing I want to do whilst chilling on my beanbag for a sunday gaming session is flail my limbs around like a lunatic.

The fact that I'm playing video games shows that I have nothing but disdain for any type of exercise.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 04:15 PM