343 vs Bungie - Page 7 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-19-12, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Stephen_Newman's Avatar
Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Solihull (UK West Midlands)
Posts: 3,867
Reputation: 5


Default

I have an actual couple questions on the Halo game.

When the original trilogy for Halo was being released everyone was going gooey eyed over them and saying how awesome they are as games. I shrugged and left them to it since I did not have an XBOX.

Then Halo 4 comes out and I am assured its the best shooter game ever. I buy it out of curiosity expecting it to be this amazing awesome game and I find myself letdown. Badly.

I just want to put it out here that I don't feel Halo is a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but I do wonder where the hype comes from. Even the multiplayer, whilst being good, did not live up to the words of everyone I have met that plays it. I tend to prefer games like Battlefield which have a VERY similar playstyle but guns I can relate to more since they are not made up sci-fi guns or vehicles named after animals.

TL:DR I just want to know what exactly makes Halo the uber awesome game that everyone puts it up to be?

As an aside I want to apologize to anyone this may have offended. This might seem silly but posting this exact question on an IGN message board got my account temporarily banned because of "offensive language".


I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
Stephen_Newman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-19-12, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Sangus Bane's Avatar
Sangus Bane's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Netherlands, Bussum
Posts: 970
Reputation: 13
Default

@ Stephen_Newman

I know what you mean, but hypes are often letdowns, simply because you only hear good stuff about it.

I have been a fan since the first game and I love the universe, the background, everything. I can imagine it is less appealing if this is your first Halo game.

212218457911619812520750614

Please have a look at my space marines.

Lord Bane says: "Keep your water bill low, drink more beer!"

My girlfriend said she didn't like Daft Punk. She's single now. Hahahahahaha lol, just kidding. She's dead...
Sangus Bane is offline  
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 12:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Akatsuki13's Avatar
Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Within his Tomb in Nehekhara
Posts: 848
Reputation: 2


Default

Yeah if you prefer more realistic modern shooters than Halo probably won't be your cup of tea. However for the multiplayer it isn't just the combat but the customization of it that draws in fans. You see while other FPS have better competitive multiplayer the Halo series has increasing customization of games and maps in their Forge/Forge World systems.

For example there's Grifball which started off as a player-made game inspired by Roosterteeh Production's Red vs Blue series (which I highly recommend). What is Grifball you might be asking? Well its a 4on4 football-like sport game with energy swords, gravity hammers and a bomb for a ball. Grifball was first created in Halo 3's Forge which allowed other players to download the map and playset wherever they were. The game caught on and spawned Internet leagues and when Reach came out they recreated it with new maps and variants available to them through what Halo Reach had. Finally in Halo 4 they made it an official game type with new features like being able to throw the ball.

And before some yells out 'well that one had the support of Roosterteeth's fanbase' I would like to point out that there was a gametype in Halo Reach that was a fanmade game from Halo 2, Infection. And that was before they had Forge.

Because of the tools they've given us through Forge and Forge World we fans have gone out and created whole new games within the game. Roosterteeth's Achievement Hunter site and Youtube channel are great for showcasing those kinds of fanmade material.

Beyond that thanks in large part to Roosterteeth's Red vs Blue which has been going on since Halo 1 the Halo series has become the definitive game for console machinima and really helped bring about the rise of machinima. Which has added fuel and support to the series. In fact as I mentioned earlier, in Halo Reach there's an Easter Egg where Bungie pays homage Roosterteeth and other popular fan productions over the course of the Halo series to that point because they supported the series through their work.

If you look at BF and CoD (the console versions anyway) they don't really have that. Forge World is right now the closest thing console players have for mods.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
Akatsuki13 is offline  
post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 06:03 AM
I am Alpharius.
 
Doelago's Avatar
Doelago's Flag is: Finland
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,321
Reputation: 9


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
I tend to prefer games like Battlefield which have a VERY similar playstyle but guns I can relate to more since they are not made up sci-fi guns or vehicles named after animals.
Well that might be your problem. If you dont like sci-fi boom boom guns, then you are not likely to like the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
TL:DR I just want to know what exactly makes Halo the uber awesome game that everyone puts it up to be?
The amount of customization and solid gameplay. In Halo 3 I barely played online in the normal matchmaking rotation, because I was too busy running around on awesome Forge levels hiding away in these awesome player made villages and fortresses, doing awesome custom game modes like Infection and Fat Man. While these have now been integrated into the core game more or less since then, I still have fond memories of the originals. Those were awesome.

For Halo 4 it took me a while before I actually enjoyed the multiplayer, which came as a surprise to me. I had a hard time playing it, initially disliked a lot of the stuff going on there, but after a few hours I started enjoying it.

Why Halo and Halo 2 were so hyped up in the days was largely due to the fact that they were amazing games with multiplayer that was actually worth playing. Halo CE was the king of LAN parties, while Halo 2 dominated XBL from its release to the day the original XBL was put down a year or two back. Halo 3 built upon this and I still see it as the best competive game around due to the great map design and balance.

Sorry if I sound weird or incoherent, too much coffee.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Doelago is offline  
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 10:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Stephen_Newman's Avatar
Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Solihull (UK West Midlands)
Posts: 3,867
Reputation: 5


Default

+rep to you guys!

Thanks for giving me the first reasonable response to that question. It makes a change from being called either a noob who does not know what I am on about or being "abusive to the community" (Then again given IGN's fanboyism of all things Halo I am not surprised!).


I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
Stephen_Newman is offline  
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 12:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,685
Reputation: 10


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatsuki13 View Post
Again what is your actual criticisms of Halo Reach's plot?
What part of fill in game did you not understand?
Reaper45 is offline  
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 01:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Akatsuki13's Avatar
Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Within his Tomb in Nehekhara
Posts: 848
Reputation: 2


Default

No that wasn't actual criticism of the plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Why make Reach a fill in game. They could have expanded master chiefs character or shown us just how awesome keyes is. Had I not read the books I'd have felt nothing when we find him dead by the hands of the flood.

Reach has a thousand stores that could have been told yet we were stuck with a half assed one.
No you were complaining against the story they decided to tell, not actual criticism of the plot of the story they told. Its the same as complaining that the main character of the Lord of the Rings trilogy wasn't Bilbo, the star of the Hobbit. Or complaining about how in ODST you played as the Rookie instead of the Master Chief.

Bungie, like with ODST wanted to tell the story of someone else, to show that the Halo universe isn't just about the Master Chief and Cortana. There are other heroes out that do deserve a bit of the spotlight and what better way to do that than to have us play as them. Truth be told while I liked playing as Noble Six I loved the rest of Noble Team more. I want to see more of them in other material like novels.

Now DeathJester had valid criticisms of Halo Reach's plot revolving around the battle of Reach and how it was done, I disagree with him but I understand where he's coming from. You on the other hand... all I'm getting from you is that you didn't like it because it didn't revolve around the Master Chief which is a weak argument because it wasn't intended to revolve around him.

Also I gotta tell I didn't read any of the novels until months after I had first played Halo 1 and you know what despite knowing next to nothing about Keyes I felt a sad and angry when he was consumed. In fact I actually wanted Chief to prime a grenade and stick into the hole he made retrieving his implants. Like I said before after playing Halo Reach I want to see more done with Noble Team. And I have to admit when I saw Kat get sniped for the first time I screamed 'No!'. Going into the game I kind of expected that Noble Team wasn't going to make but despite I still felt something for them each time one of them fell, more so than when Miranda and Johnson died.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
Akatsuki13 is offline  
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 01:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Akatsuki13's Avatar
Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Within his Tomb in Nehekhara
Posts: 848
Reputation: 2


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
+rep to you guys!

Thanks for giving me the first reasonable response to that question. It makes a change from being called either a noob who does not know what I am on about or being "abusive to the community" (Then again given IGN's fanboyism of all things Halo I am not surprised!).
Don't worry about it. Though the Halo universe and the fanon its inspired are both definitely worth checking out even if you aren't that crazy about the games.

Especially Forward Unto Dawn miniseries that was created for Halo 4 (tells another story in universe) and Red vs Blue, ten years of hilarious shenanigans and counting. I highly recommend you check them out.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
Akatsuki13 is offline  
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 11:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,685
Reputation: 10


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatsuki13 View Post
No that wasn't actual criticism of the plot.



No you were complaining against the story they decided to tell, not actual criticism of the plot of the story they told. Its the same as complaining that the main character of the Lord of the Rings trilogy wasn't Bilbo, the star of the Hobbit. Or complaining about how in ODST you played as the Rookie instead of the Master Chief.

Bungie, like with ODST wanted to tell the story of someone else, to show that the Halo universe isn't just about the Master Chief and Cortana. There are other heroes out that do deserve a bit of the spotlight and what better way to do that than to have us play as them. Truth be told while I liked playing as Noble Six I loved the rest of Noble Team more. I want to see more of them in other material like novels.

Now DeathJester had valid criticisms of Halo Reach's plot revolving around the battle of Reach and how it was done, I disagree with him but I understand where he's coming from. You on the other hand... all I'm getting from you is that you didn't like it because it didn't revolve around the Master Chief which is a weak argument because it wasn't intended to revolve around him.

Also I gotta tell I didn't read any of the novels until months after I had first played Halo 1 and you know what despite knowing next to nothing about Keyes I felt a sad and angry when he was consumed. In fact I actually wanted Chief to prime a grenade and stick into the hole he made retrieving his implants. Like I said before after playing Halo Reach I want to see more done with Noble Team. And I have to admit when I saw Kat get sniped for the first time I screamed 'No!'. Going into the game I kind of expected that Noble Team wasn't going to make but despite I still felt something for them each time one of them fell, more so than when Miranda and Johnson died.
And as I recall I stated that I didn't like that they flipped the books off either.

Like I said before they could have told a thousand stories about the other spartans II's They didn't instead they decided to have a super secret Spartan 3 program interacting with all characters. While I'm not against having other spartans in the game they detracted allot from master chief instead of being the last hope of humanity they created another group that can do the job just as well. Like I said before Nobel six is hyper lethal rated. Same as MC.
Reaper45 is offline  
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-22-12, 01:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Akatsuki13's Avatar
Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Within his Tomb in Nehekhara
Posts: 848
Reputation: 2


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
And as I recall I stated that I didn't like that they flipped the books off either.

Like I said before they could have told a thousand stories about the other spartans II's They didn't instead they decided to have a super secret Spartan 3 program interacting with all characters. While I'm not against having other spartans in the game they detracted allot from master chief instead of being the last hope of humanity they created another group that can do the job just as well. Like I said before Nobel six is hyper lethal rated. Same as MC.
First off how would any normal soldier know the difference between a team of Spartan-IIs and Spartan-IIIs? They wouldn't, all they would see is Spartans. They wouldn't know that Noble Team was apart of ONI rather than NavSpecWarCOM. In fact few outside of the Spartan-IIs would see Noble Team and know that they weren't Spartan-IIs. Its called hiding in plain sight.

Second how was Noble Team another last hope for humanity when they all died, expect for Jun? I never got the sense that Six or Noble Team were a last hope for humanity, maybe the last hope of Reach that ultimately died with Reach. But then like I said before I had a strong sense that Noble Team won't survive the game. At most they stalled the Covenant and made sure Cortana got off Reach. The Chief has always been the big hero of the series, Noble Team was just another band of heroes in the universe and who happened to be among those that helped Chief (though without his knowledge) get to the point where he could be the savior of humanity and the galaxy, like the Arbiter, Johnson, Keyes, (both of them) Halsey, Mendez, Sam, Kelly and all the other Spartan-IIs.

As for the Hyper-lethal rating that was solely because he, like the Master Chief was being played by the player. Also do you honestly think that out of both Spartan Programs that the Chief would be the only one with that rating? That there couldn't be another Spartan just as combat effective as him?

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
Akatsuki13 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome