343 vs Bungie - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 06:55 PM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

My bad. I thought you were referring to those Falcon ride moments in Reach. Though that moment in Serious Sam was basically to showcase the fact that you go the bullet-spewing minigun than anything else. But that's kind of the big difference between the Halo series and Serious Sam series. Serious Sam is more of a throwback to the 90s era of FPSs with all it's crazy and hilarious hijinks while Halo is in the line of recent modern shooters that tend to be more serious, realistic (to varying degrees mind you) and story-driven.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 07:12 PM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatsuki13 View Post
But that's kind of the big difference between the Halo series and Serious Sam series. Serious Sam is more of a throwback to the 90s era of FPSs with all it's crazy and hilarious hijinks while Halo is in the line of recent modern shooters that tend to be more serious, realistic (to varying degrees mind you) and story-driven.
Valid point, but then I still miss the 'comedic' grunts running away shouting about 'the demon' and all that.

Have 343 dropped the ball? I don't really think so, as long as I don't get as pissed off as I did at the end of Halo 2 I'm cool with it.

Halo is the only Xbox game I feel compelled to run out and buy on release as I was the only player when the 1st one came out as all of my mates had PS2s.

I can't let them start telling me about the game series I introduced them to now can I? lol.
post #53 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 07:48 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount Vash View Post
Have 343 dropped the ball? I don't really think so, as long as I don't get as pissed off as I did at the end of Halo 2 I'm cool with it.
Am I the only one who was not pissed off by Halo 2`s ending?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount Vash View Post
Halo is the only Xbox game I feel compelled to run out and buy on release as I was the only player when the 1st one came out as all of my mates had PS2s.
Still the only one in my (rather small) friends circle to play on Xbox. One of my friends has two Xbox 360`s, but he only plays on the PC. The rest are all PS3 CoD players.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Last edited by Doelago; 11-18-12 at 07:55 PM.
post #54 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatsuki13 View Post
My bad. I thought you were referring to those Falcon ride moments in Reach. Though that moment in Serious Sam was basically to showcase the fact that you go the bullet-spewing minigun than anything else. But that's kind of the big difference between the Halo series and Serious Sam series. Serious Sam is more of a throwback to the 90s era of FPSs with all it's crazy and hilarious hijinks while Halo is in the line of recent modern shooters that tend to be more serious, realistic (to varying degrees mind you) and story-driven.
I'll give you that but still the point remains. Halo has allot of on rails moments. There's plenty of room for seemingly endless waves of grunts coming at you.

Quote:
But there are several things I would like to point out, first in regards to the Invasion of Earth. Now I have do doubt that the fleet seen in First Strike was being assembled for Earth's invasion but that fleet didn't see Earth. Truthfully the Covenant, save for two exceptions didn't know that Earth had a human presence much less that it was humanity's homeworld. Why do you think Regret showed up in Halo 2 with only what fifteen warships if he knew that Earth was man's homeworld. Also the invasion of the Sol System was different from Reach due to several factors. A) the fleet Truth had intended for Earth was wiped out, weakening their overall forces. B) for much of the actual invasion, not Regret's unintended attack the Covenant was going through a civil war. They couldn't bring anyway near the strength of the Reach invasion to Earth. C) their goals for Earth were far, far different than Reach. They wanted the Ark, everything else was to stall the UNSC as they dug up the portal.
Now this is where I have the problem.

In one part you're going with the books being canon. But in others you're saying the game is canon. This isn't 40K where we can argue that we are learning the history when the fluff is rewritten it's because new evidence was uncovered that exposed the truth.

There's plenty of room in Halo to create a good back story. The fact remains bungie has no idea what they are doing.

Why introduce spartan III's into Halo reach when they could have used II's?

Why was nobel team the only spartan team on reach? Jorge is confirmed to be a spartan II, where are the other spartans? MC is shown in cryo on the autumn. why wasn't he fighting?

Bungie screwed up. They were to busy making a final game to make a solid plot.
post #55 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 08:01 PM
I am Alpharius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
To allow for something new and to fit the lore. The story line for the Spartan II`s at this time was about as fleshed out as it possibly could have been. Suddenly starting to throw them around all over the place when they are just about to go kidnap a Prophet from High Charity would have been a lore fuck.

Quote:
Why was nobel team the only spartan team on reach?
But they were not the only Spartan team on Reach... Echo and Gauntlet team were just before the glassing of new Alexandria mentioned as having been redeployed to civilian evacuation.

There is also a group of 13 dead Spartans (IIs or III`s is anyones guess) located near the Aszod ship yards.

Quote:
Jorge is confirmed to be a spartan II, where are the other spartans?
Getting their Mark V suits and about to go on a trip to High Charity.

Quote:
MC is shown in cryo on the autumn. why wasn't he fighting?
He had just been fighting aboard that space station and destroying the navigation core or whatever they did up there in "The Fall of Reach". Also, thats a total easter egg. The cryo tube was not located in the hangar bay...

Quote:
If Bungie screwed anything up then it was the multiplayer map design. The story was among the best the Halo series has seen.

Last edited by Doelago; 11-18-12 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Got a sudden urge to start pointing out shit.
post #56 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 08:15 PM

[quote=Doelago;1307596]To allow for something new and to fit the lore. The story line for the Spartan II`s at this time was about as fleshed out as it possibly could have been. Suddenly starting to throw them around all over the place when they are just about to go kidnap a Prophet from High Charity would have been a lore fuck.

But they were not the only Spartan team on Reach... Echo and Gauntlet team were just before the glassing of new Alexandria mentioned as having been redeployed to civilian evacuation.

There is also a group of 13 dead Spartans (IIs or III`s is anyones guess) located near the Aszod ship yards.

Quote:
I'll give you that but still the point remains. Halo has allot of on rails moments. There's plenty of room for seemingly endless waves of grunts coming at you.

Now this is where I have the problem.

In one part you're going with the books being canon. But in others you're saying the game is canon. This isn't 40K where we can argue that we are learning the history when the fluff is rewritten it's because new evidence was uncovered that exposed the truth.

There's plenty of room in Halo to create a good back story. The fact remains bungie has no idea what they are doing.

Getting their Mark V suits and about to go on a trip to High Charity.

He had just been fighting aboard that space station and destroying the navigation core or whatever they did up there in "The Fall of Reach". Also, thats a total easter egg. The cryo tube was not located in the hangar bay...

If Bungie screwed anything up then it was the multiplayer map design. The story was among the best the Halo series has seen.
Just want to stop you right there.

If we're going by the book lore then yes.

If we're going by Halo reach then I don't know. Personally I view the books as canon and reach as a improved firefight.
post #57 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 08:22 PM
I am Alpharius.

No offense intended, but the formatting in your post is so up its arse I dont even know where to start editing it back together or how to argue against it?

Last edited by Doelago; 11-18-12 at 08:26 PM.
post #58 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 09:49 PM

Quote:
For the last freaking time! The games are the prime canon while the novels occupy a level of canon beneath it. When there's a conflict between the two of them, such as TFoR's depiction of the Reach's fall verses Halo Reach's depiction, the game's canon wins out. Beyond that Bungie has actually incorporated much of TFoR's plot into the prime canon. Hell even what the Chief Master and his Spartans were doing at the end of the novel has been brought into the prime and new fall of Reach.

Quote:

Why was nobel team the only spartan team on reach? Jorge is confirmed to be a spartan II, where are the other spartans? MC is shown in cryo on the autumn. why wasn't he fighting?

Seriously? *sighs* Where to begin...

Okay first off the Master Chief cryo tube was an Easter Egg, which like all Easter Eggs are not canon in the slightest. In fact it wasn't even Reach's largest Easter Egg. When you're defending Halsey's lab there's a secret area with terminals that give nods to the fans and various things that have spawned from Halo such as Red vs Blue. In fact the RvB terminal has Halsey referencing them as though they were actually in the Halo universe. And much I would love to have Chief encounter the RvB gang, everyone acknowledges that RvB isn't canon to Halo.

Why Spartan-IIIs, or rather a team of 5 Spartan-IIIs and a Spartan-II? Well probably because they wanted to keep their distance from the Master Chief. They wanted Halo Reach to be a standalone story rather than a continuation of the Chief's exploits. You know tell a new story with new characters, especially with one that's more of a blank slate than the Chief is. And as already mentioned they did point out that there were other Spartan teams on Reach.

Finally how did Bungie drop the ball with Halo Reach's plot? What are your actual criticisms against its story? Cause at the moment you're just 'I hate the story'.

Speaking of the story, if I had to rate the stories of the games (made by Bungie/343) from worst to best this is how I'd put them. Please I don't anyone telling me why I'm wrong or why the story of Game X is better than Game Y. This is entirely my opinion.

Worst: Halo 2-it is by no means a bad story, especially from the Arbiter's side of things but it suffers from being the middle child of the trilogy, leaving us with an open ending that's tied up in Halo 3.

Halo-it isn't as story-driven as the later installments but it had its moments. The back and forth between Guilty Spark and Cortana is a scene I still find amusing and despite knowing from the video that the Flood got Keyes I was actually believing that I was going to rescue him in the second last mission.

Halo 3-the conclusion of the Halo Trilogy and a fine story in its own right but it suffers from seriously predictable moments (i.e. the Gravemind's betrayal) and I really disappointed in how Truth went from the scheming mastermind of Halo 2 to the fanatical megalomaniac of Halo 3.

ODST-for me this one was a surprise. I played it expecting some backstory on what was happening to Earth during Halo 2, instead I got the story about the battles of an ordinary squad of soldiers (in comparison to the superhuman Spartans) who are involved in something far larger than themselves told in a refreshing new manner.

Halo 4-an absolutely great story, not only tying in things from some of the best Halo novels they've done but also really exploring the relationship between Chief and Cortana. My only problem with is that despite how great Chief and Cortana were some of the other characters seemed to one dimensional props rather than actual characters. Namely the Infinity's Captain who seemed to be there for no other reason than to be a general douchbag and oppose everything Chief and Cortana said.

Best: Halo Reach-number one for one simple reason, the story actually made me feel something, not once but several times. Something no other Halo before it did.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #59 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 11:35 PM

Halo 1 you're fighting the covenant and trying to discover what they want with the halo's Once you find the flood and discover what they are you're objective is the blow it up.

Halo 2 It sets the backdrop for how humans are going to win the war. The covenant aren't as unified as humans think they are.

Halo 3 It ends the flood and leads to the defeat of the covenant.

I won't touch on ODST. I have it for firefight online

Reach. You're defending reach then at some point you realize reach is gone so it's get cortana to the autumn.

Halo 4. Brings us the forrunners and shows us that humans just may not be the good guys.

Why make Reach a fill in game. They could have expanded master chiefs character or shown us just how awesome keyes is. Had I not read the books I'd have felt nothing when we find him dead by the hands of the flood.

Reach has a thousand stores that could have been told yet we were stuck with a half assed one.
post #60 of 71 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 11:44 PM

Again what is your actual criticisms of Halo Reach's plot?

Akatsuki13's Daemon Den

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode