Any fans of the dark souls/Demon Souls games? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-12, 12:42 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
HOW TO PLAY DARK SOULS

Step 1: Walk into room.
Step 2: Be mobbed by dark knights/skeletons/feathers.
Step 3: Die.
Step 4: Respawn.
Step 5: Enter room again, ready to fight the monsters.
Step 6: Roll off edge.
Step 7: Die.
Step 8: Respawn.
Step 9: Enter room once more.
Step 10: Get stunlocked off the edge.
Step 11: Die.
Step 12: Respawn.
Step 13: Finally kill monsters.
Step 14: Proceed to next room.
Step 15: Be mobbed by dark knights/skeletons/feathers.
Step 16: Die.

Repeat ad infinitum.

I'm all about difficulty, I beat I Wanna Be the Guy and the old Mega Man games, as well as the Ninja Gaiden on xbox where the easiest difficulty was nightmare x1000. But these games are like a stress test thats out of control. Give me stunlocking exploding shurikens any day, at least dodging them won't send me off a cliff. Those are a test of skill, not psychological endurance. Dark souls and Demon souls are a Kobayashi-Maru test. No matter how hard you try, no matter how many times you try, you WILL throw your controller. You cannot succeed at avoiding this.

To quote Wargames: "The only winning move is to not play."

I've managed to avoid throwing my controller, but I've come close due to my 360 crashing on more than one occasion. I actually got so fed up with the game I found save state editors and maxed out my character just so I could get around and see more of the game....and honestly without the ball breaking difficulty there isn't much to write about here. The game has solid play mechanics, a decent leveling system, but the graphics are dated, the writing is shoddy at best, the direction you need to go is non-intuitive and I found myself flat out LOST more than once.

Also nothing worse climbing ALL the way down that dark cave before you realize that the lantern you found lets you see where you're going (and would have kept you from dying), but the game doesn't TELL you that you can use it as an actual light source. Yeah, that probably was my fault too, but in a game where you're a magical zombie who can keep rising from the dead, why assume anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-12, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Anyone else go through the pain of killing ornstein second so they could get his bitchen armour.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-12, 08:33 PM

Jestersmiles's Flag is: USA

past demon souls like 4 times have yet to pass dark souls. Awesome games.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-12, 10:43 AM

Been playing through Dark Souls for a while now, and after an unfortunately incident where I killed a god people invade me a lot now. A random thing happened last night though. A guy invaded, we did some bowing and I shielded up to get ready to rock. He then gave me 98 Twinkling Titanite and vanished.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-12, 11:04 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

finally got the chance to sit down and play this game on the PC.

few things:

mouse and keyboard are a fail, but gamepad handles like a dream.

the game is well named. if you have any rage issues, this is not the game for you.

it is a beautiful, dark and well made game... that i have to walk away from every thirty minutes or so because it is intense.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-12, 05:38 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Spent the entire day playing today. Managed to finish the Artorias of the Abyss DLC and kill Kalameet in 9 attempts and Manus in 11. Also beat Seath the Scaleless, the Centipede Demon, the Bed of Chaos and the Great Grey Wolf Sif.

Just have to finish New Londo and the Four Kings, and then the Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants with Pinwheel and Nito and then its onto Lord Gwyn and my first finished playthrough... then right into New Game +.

LotN

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-12, 06:29 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

awesome. i am still early in the game. i just killed the bell gargoyles and the moonlight moth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode