What Are You Playing - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

What Are You Playing

Evening All,

Found a new Game you liked? New Release or a different Genre that has taken your fancy?

What Are You Playing now?

The general idea is to give other readers your thoughts and opinions on what you are playing, what you expected from the reviews, how it measures up to expectations and if it is better than its predecessor/s if it has any.

You can just give us a simple 'I am playing X at the moment' though if you want.
Some of you may even find a new game to play from all this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently i have quite gotten into 3rd person games despite a life long hatred of them (particularily Shooters), its been a gradual process starting with Assassins Creed through Space Marine, in the past week Prototype and Mass Effect 3.

Prototype

Love this game. Completely. Hack and Slash has always been fun, taking me back to Beserk on the Dreamcast but this is so much better. The most fun comes from traversing the city and running up the side of buildings. I have spent several hours simply building hopping from one side of the city to the other, knocking Choppers out of the sky and looking for the Hints and Landmarks then finding the highest building i can and jumping off it!

The only real problems i have found are the camera sometimes messes up and limits your view drastically because of a wall. This has lead to my demise a few times but its a minimal problem so i'm not too bothered. Weapon switching is also a problem as it takes too long to find and select what you want when all the game does is slow down and not stop altogether. And the civilians are cloned copiously throughout the city, many times playing will you see triplets or quadruplets walking down the same street or running in terror from you

The combat is as fun as Hack and Slash gets. Most Hostiles are cannon fodder but some can pose a challenge. Hunters amuse me the most and Super Soldiers annoy me.

Mass Effect (3)

3rd person shooters... Bug the hell out of me. But for some reason this one has taken me in completely. Not sure if it is the scope of the game, its background or what but i like it so much i have gone out and bought all three and intend (starting within the next week) to play them in order so i can import the character into the next game in the series as the choices you made in the previous game affect how the current game plays out. In this way i get the full experience and story.

I started off a little cautiously, not sure what to expect other than the worst but so far it plays out very well. Weapons are varied and loadouts can be customised as can the weapons themselves. They have even incorporated a weight system which effects the recharge rates of your abilities.
Your Armor can also be customised with pieces found or purchased and even its colour can be chosen, i opted for a nice black/purple scheme.

Combat is strange to me. I am used to seeing the weapon and only the weapon. With this game i can see the entire character and he/she blocks my view of some of the screen. While alien to me i am getting used to it.

One unique feature is the ability to chose the style of game you want to play. It presents you with three options: Story, RPG and Action (or words to that effect) which effect how you play the game. If you simply want to blast your way through the game without worrying about the story choose Action, if you want to learn everything you can chose Story and if you want a bit of both the RPG choice gives you that. Each one has it settings for combat and interaction levels making for a varied experience. This greatly impresses me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, my fellow Heretics, what is your game of the Week?

Alice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 12:56 AM

Shattertheirsky's Flag is: United Kingdom

Tom Clancys Ghost Recon Future Soldier:

Pros:
Was attracted to this one by the gunsmith, for those of you who don't know it lets you customise literally anything in most guns. The third person aspect of it switches seamlessly between 3rd person and 1st person when aiming down the sights. The campaign is suprisingly good and paints a strong focus on stealth.
Cons:
Multiplayer is pretty standard and Guerilla mode is a pretty standard boring horde mode. Quite a few glitches are concerned as well.
Overall:
Decent game, rather enjoyable. My advice? Wait until its gets cheaper then buy it, its good, but not a must have.

Halo Combat Evolved Anniversery Edition:
Bought for 8
Pros:
As a die hard Halo fan I deemed it necessary to buy this game owing to the fact that I never played the original Halo CE, and the campaign is really gripping. I was surprised by the brilliantly reworked maps and skins and liked the way how you could transition between the old and new types.

Cons: No multiplayer, but it does add extra stuff for Reach which is good. VERY glitchy, meleeing a shade turret insta kills you XD.

Overall:
For its price, its brilliant, a must buy for any fan of the Halo series

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 01:03 AM

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

based on a D&D type game from back in the day, you choose what clan your vampire is from, different clans have different abilities like ghost wolf summons, invisibility, boil an enemies blood...that ones my favorite , the game is run on the Half-Life Source engine and can be found on Steam, it can be played in 1st and 3rd person

the game starts off as you becoming a vampire "The Embrace" and you fall right in the middle of a feud with the Camarilla, which is the self proclaimed rulers of the other vampires, and the Anarchs who oppose the Camarilla, and the Sabat, who prefer the Old Ways, you run around doing missions, it starts off easy with tracking down a bounty hunter, getting an angry ghost out of a mansion, blowing up a ware house, then solving a pandemic that could kill all the regular humans. the game has several different ending depending on which group you side with through out the game. the game has a few minor glitches, kind of annoying having a trench coat that clips through your body and gets stuck but definitely worth playing. i would give this game a 4 out of 5
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 02:21 AM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Skyrim (someone had to do it).

As a huge fan of Morrowind, I found myself awaiting Oblivion with much drooling and anticipation.

I was immensely dissapointed. Oblivions relentless repetitiveness and nonsensical "wolf in the grass" deaths had me throwing it away before I ever really got into it. I was bereft of hope for the franchise.

Then, one day, I watched a friend of mine playing a beautiful, immersive and audibly stunning rpg, that looked familiar, yet so different at the same time. This was my introduction to Skyrim.

So, off I went to my local games retailer, took one look at the prices, and bought it from Amazon instead. And the Love/Hate affair hasn't really stopped since then.

Why "love/hate" I hear you ask?

Well, lets begin with the bad. Bugs. Bugs and more bugs.

I play Skyrim on the PC, and have had some minor bugs, such as levitating shovels, to average bugs, where dragons nose-dive into the ground and dissapear, all the way up to the serious quest breaking bugs. The minor bugs can be funny, the average bugs are just "WTF" moments, but the serious bugs irritate the hell out of me.

Fortunately though, on PC at least, there is a great community out there for bug fixes, mods and enhancements to get you through those "hate" moments.

Now on to the "love".

My poor old PC is old. Good, but old. Easily beating the minimum sytem requirements, but still old. And the game still plays on mostly medium graphical settings, with a few on high. And the game looks absolutely gorgeous. Sweeping vistas, smokey clouds hovering beneath the distant peaks, and a huge dragon breathing flickering infernos at you - simply jaw dropping.

The gameplay is also good. Far less obviously repetative than its elder (scroll!) brother, with a veritable multitude of options for how you prefer to play. Quests tend to three types, Misc' random quests, Side quests, and Main Quests, each with their own rewards and aims.

The combat system is smooth, most of the time, and the levelling works as it has in previous games, with Skills being the key driving force, not kills.

And finally, probably my favourite aspect of the whole game - the Score. The music, ambient and main title, is epic in proportions and broad in its scope. Just the right sort of mood for the kind of game Skyrim is. The sound effects are crisp and mostly spot on. A thing some games miss entirely, thus breaking your immersion into the game world. Skyrim, hits all the right notes.

Overall, I would urge anybody to pick up and play this game, despite its flaws. And if you can play it on PC, then even better, as the modding community are throwing out so much stuff, the potential to personalise your playing experience is immense.

A cracking game, easily in my lifetime top five. Or maybe ten.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 02:49 AM
Warlord of Vermin

TechPr1est's Flag is: Australia

gears of war 2

excellent just fucking excellent the campaign is full of moments that one minute your the weapon of destruction that causes mass carnage to the enemy and then the next minute your shitting your pants running away from some lumbering 10 foot tall locust monstrousity

multiplayer is awesome same goes for horde though there is one little annoyance that also occured in halo

in COD or Battle field its realistic in the sense that a couple well-placed shots should take out your enemy

in halo it takes a full clip and a half to take out another person an that is with the assault rifle (which is the main weapon)

it also happens in gears, a shot to the head with the lancaster wont do shit, you have to empty your clip to take out a guy because the motherfuckers just hide behind a barrier but even in the open it still takes at least 7 shots

my favourite weapon is the torque bow

gears is a must have for all xbox players
overall i give it a 8/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bruva Alfabusa
"My first model had so many layers of paint, that an excavation team could probably find fossils in it".
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 03:04 AM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

spec ops: the line

a good 3rd person shooter with a great story. heart of darkness meets AAA shooter.

super monday night combat

180 hours in. 3rd person team base MOBA/shooter. quick, dirty, extremely skill based and fun.

alice: madness returns

completely different from the first, but fantastic all by itself. 3rd person puzzle, combat, platformer

orks must die NUFF SAID

joking. tower defense meets 3rd person action game with amusing humor and hard punishing stratigic levels.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 01:48 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Batman: Arkham City - Great game, recently completed the difficulty on Normal. Originally started off on Normal, got to the Joker Boss level (those who have played the game will know what I'm talking about), couldn't get past it so decided to run through it on Easy. Completed Easy and then went back and completed normal.

Nice campaign that includes a variety of the Batman villains, and an array of side missions that will make things interesting plus the Riddler modes (which I'm yet to try out), will keep you entertained.

Verdict: 4/5 - One of the best games of 2011.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 07:13 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Hoping to get back on ME 3 for the extended cuts and buying Recettear on steam while it's on sale.

Recettear is kinda of like a JRPG but you play an item shop owner. It's fun, but nothing all that innovative. For $10 though I can't go wrong
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 10:16 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

I cannot wait to get some permanent quarters again to set up the ps3/pc, not played BF3, MW3, PR;Arma2, Skyrim, in ages, am missing Spec Ops The line (9/10s, 88% AA ratings? On a postmodern shooter? Really?).

Just playing an unmodded soulstorm on my crappy laptop and it sucks more balls than a businessman in bangkok. It really needs an in-built Survival Mode, Assault Mode, a linear storyline, and enhanced metamap more akin to Total War.

Problem is any mods slow the laptop down so badly it hurts me to watch. Even on low everything. However that has less to do with the game rather than how poor my laptop is, but everything I can play with the core game is getting boring. Whether it is as simple as Comp Stomping a 7PC vs Player Easy mode, Hard+ Vs Player 1v1, or a campaign mission, it is essentially the same, apart from the campaign gives you cheats and run on rails 'storyline' bypasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 10:56 PM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord_Winters View Post
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

based on a D&D type game from back in the day, you choose what clan your vampire is from, different clans have different abilities like ghost wolf summons, invisibility, boil an enemies blood...that ones my favorite , the game is run on the Half-Life Source engine and can be found on Steam, it can be played in 1st and 3rd person

the game starts off as you becoming a vampire "The Embrace" and you fall right in the middle of a feud with the Camarilla, which is the self proclaimed rulers of the other vampires, and the Anarchs who oppose the Camarilla, and the Sabat, who prefer the Old Ways, you run around doing missions, it starts off easy with tracking down a bounty hunter, getting an angry ghost out of a mansion, blowing up a ware house, then solving a pandemic that could kill all the regular humans. the game has several different ending depending on which group you side with through out the game. the game has a few minor glitches, kind of annoying having a trench coat that clips through your body and gets stuck but definitely worth playing. i would give this game a 4 out of 5

What I'm playing now?

Medieval 2 Total War Retrofit Mod

Playing as England now and I have already removed France, Portugal, Milan and Scotland off the face of the earth. HRE, Russian and Venice are my bestest buddies at the moment. Mongols and Egyptians once again to prove to be assholes.

PROS: Retrofit balances the game out so the majority of units are now useful instead of spamming out swordsmen and cavalry. Massive battles and an addictive campaign.

CONS: the AI acts like a retard at times and the Pope is an ass to deal with when you want to start a war.

Also I've just moved back into Diablo 2. Diablo 3 proved itself to be utter shit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode