What Are You Playing - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-20-12, 08:01 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMAlice View Post
Well, Despite my wanting to play Mass Effect in series order, i found it impossible to simply stop playing ME3. And tonight... I completed it.

It is quite simply the Best Game i have ever played. Coming out ahead of even The Illusion Of Time, which is a decades old game for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)

The story evoked in me nothing short of intense emotion at each and every twist. The variance of species is staggering and I found myself becoming quite attached to all of the main characters, with particular note to Liara and Miranda, and an extreme dislike for Kai Lin (Whom got a Widow V round to the head as the kill shot)

The AI of the enemies is excellent, they vary no end and attempt counter movements and attacks with each change of position you make. I also found they vary strategy by what weapon you are currently using, going to range when faced with Assault Rifles and Shotguns or closing in when faced with Long Range and Sniper Rifles.

Enviroments are beautifully created and rendered and vary greatly, forcing you to make tactical choices based on the likely terrain you will be entering. I used a great variety of the Weapons, which is very unusual for any game as you are normally stuck with one or two that stand out above the rest, but i tried them all out atleast once.

The ending is suitably apocalyptic and i found myself in a frantic headlong rush through the streets of London to gain access to the Beam that takes you to the Citadel/Catalyst. I was also quite impressed by the ending to which you put one of the Reapers via the Giant Thresher Maw Queen. Truly a Titanic Battle.

I came to a Critical Mission Failure (Death) 4 times in the entire game, on Normal Difficulty, due to unforeseen suprises rather than Tactical Errors. And acquired some impressive Scars for it. Which strangely seem to glow Orange, a product of Shepard's Synthetic Augmentations i assume.

In the End i acquired almost 2500 points of War assets (I could have gotten more but i was unaware that the final attack on the Cerberus Base would initiate the Final Battle and End Game). When it came to it i chose to Destroy the Reapers rather than Control them. And, after an impressive ending sequence, sat in mute awe of what i had accomplished and what the Developers had created.

Suffice it to say i cannot think of a better Game, and i have played Hundreds, if not Thousands of them, in my Twenty Seven years of life. I can quite literally find NOTHING wrong with the game.
If you were on the fence about whether or not to try this game then i say Go, Go buy it, You will not be disappointed. Not by a long shot.

I have started a new Game and intend to play it all through again but on the RPG setting to find anything that i missed by playing it on the Action setting the first time around.

And now, if you will excuse me, i am off to find an Emergency Venting Port to finish my 4 hour old cold Coffee.

Alice
Not sure if anyone else has said this yet, but if you played the multiplayer mode and got Galactic Readiness up to 100%, then you would have gotten at least 5000+ war assets. Combine that with a few other things that you would have needed, then you would have seen something cool after the destruction of the reapers.

Spoiler

I didn't care for the ending though. To me, it made no sense whatsoever. That was the main complaint that a bunch of Mass Effect fans made.

Playing through Skyrim right now, trying to get the achievements that came along with the Dawnguard DLC.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-21-12, 10:41 AM

Total War - Rome, old but very good!! I play with Carthage and with the Pontus, much fun!!

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-21-12, 06:28 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Yes, seriously. I have the EC version.

I don't understand why you thought it was so bad but then again not everyone can all be pleased with everything all the time.

Care to elaborate on why you though it was bad?

Alice
You need to have played through all three games to actually grasp why the ending doesn't fit the series.

The previous 2 games seemed to be building towards a story line that was different then what we got in ME 3. Hints that we got in ME 1 and 2 as to the reapers Origins and purpose were thrown out the window (Dark Energy) and a new story was seemingly created for this last game.

It could be due to the fact that players of the previous 2 games just enjoyed the mystery of what the Reapers are and their purpose (plus what the Protheans were like) and an actual reveal couldn't live up to our expectations.

It could have also been due to the fact that no game could have ever taken into account every decision we made across 2 60+ hour games to affect a 3rd game in a meaningful way.

But most of all I think fans of the series didn't like the ending because everybody said it wouldn't end with an A,B,C choice. And it did.

Plus Jokers actions make ZERO sense. That's what really took me out of it.

Last edited by Wusword77; 07-21-12 at 06:31 PM.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-21-12, 07:01 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
You need to have played through all three games to actually grasp why the ending doesn't fit the series.

The previous 2 games seemed to be building towards a story line that was different then what we got in ME 3. Hints that we got in ME 1 and 2 as to the reapers Origins and purpose were thrown out the window (Dark Energy) and a new story was seemingly created for this last game.

It could be due to the fact that players of the previous 2 games just enjoyed the mystery of what the Reapers are and their purpose (plus what the Protheans were like) and an actual reveal couldn't live up to our expectations.

It could have also been due to the fact that no game could have ever taken into account every decision we made across 2 60+ hour games to affect a 3rd game in a meaningful way.

But most of all I think fans of the series didn't like the ending because everybody said it wouldn't end with an A,B,C choice. And it did.

Plus Jokers actions make ZERO sense. That's what really took me out of it.
Plus, theres the strange fact that the crew of the Normandy that went down to Earth somehow managed to beam onto the ship before Joker tried to escape for whatever reason.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-21-12, 08:28 PM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Plus, theres the strange fact that the crew of the Normandy that went down to Earth somehow managed to beam onto the ship before Joker tried to escape for whatever reason.
And the almost casual assumption that Anderson was tougher than any of your fellow characters when he survives the reaper blast with Shepard, yet nobody else did.

Now I always liked Anderson, but he was and old Vet, not a Wrex like survivor.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-21-12, 10:02 PM

gwmaniac's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Punishment 69 View Post
Total War - Rome, old but very good!! I play with Carthage and with the Pontus, much fun!!
i can hardly wait til rome 2 is out! im looking forward to seeing the egyptians once more, they had the most majestic looking army in the game
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-24-12, 02:43 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathJester921 View Post
Well that is actually quite obvious. The reaper blast blew all of them into the upper atmosphere where Joker picked them all up in a single display of piloting excellence. They were unharmed due to Liara's space magic abilities.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-12, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

It seems i have a ways to go before i understand why ME3 isn't as good as it seems. Well, i shall be playing ME1 & 2 at some point so i guess i'll find out then.

As for now, i have recently started playing Dragon Age: Origins.

Not too far in yet. The King just got Squished by a Troll and i picked up the Swamp Witch Chick.
Reminds me of NWN/NWN2, which isn't a bad thing. I'm liking it so far.

Alice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-29-12, 08:38 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
It seems i have a ways to go before i understand why ME3 isn't as good as it seems. Well, i shall be playing ME1 & 2 at some point so i guess i'll find out then.

As for now, i have recently started playing Dragon Age: Origins.

Not too far in yet. The King just got Squished by a Troll and i picked up the Swamp Witch Chick.
Reminds me of NWN/NWN2, which isn't a bad thing. I'm liking it so far.

Alice
Have you not played it before?

If not i'm hugely jealous. DAO is awesome, easily as good as NWN.

I'd love to see another game in the NWN style, but DA2 was lacking all the features i liked about origins.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode