Silent Hill Games? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-12, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default Silent Hill Games?

Hey everyone.

I recently rewatched the movie Silent Hill when it was on the other night, and I must say it is arguably the best videogame/movie adaption I hav ever seen.

Was it the best movie ever ... nope ... but it was definately entertaining.

Anyway, my question is this:

I have never played any of the Silent Hill games but have recently read a few articles about them after the movie peaked my interest. I love the whole psycological approach to the nature of each of the monsters and how creepy the setting is.

With that in mind can anyone direct me to which games in the series can still reasonably be played?

What I mean is, I know the original was released a long time ago, so the graphics are probably great for the day, but a little sucky now, so is there any point in the series that I could begin and could find a decent balance towards modern 'decent' graphics and gameplay and also could still be able to enage with the story?

What do you guys think? Unfortunately ATM the only one available on Steam is Silent Hill: Homecoming for 17.99, is this worth the price and is it an okay place to start? Its also the most recent I believe as it was released in 2006.

Any helpful answers will get some +rep BTW. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-12, 04:58 PM

DestroyerHive's Flag is: Canada

Well, you can trust the guy with the pyramid Head costume in his sig .

Anyway, Silent Hill 2 and 3 are the best, but DON'T buy the crappy HD Collection, because it will ruin the games for you. Silent Hill 5 is pretty good as well if you can find it. If you have a PS3, you can buy Silent Hill 1 for $10, and it is an excellent buy - I've beaten the game about four times by now.

Shattered Memories is amazing as well, but very different. Stay away from Silent Hill 4 and Origins for now, because they are voted the worst in the series.

If someone lacks intelligence, than he is not stupid, because one cannot be stupid without intelligence.

If someone reverts to having to complain about your grammar, then you already won.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-12, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroyerHive View Post
Well, you can trust the guy with the pyramid Head costume in his sig .

Anyway, Silent Hill 2 and 3 are the best, but DON'T buy the crappy HD Collection, because it will ruin the games for you. Silent Hill 5 is pretty good as well if you can find it. If you have a PS3, you can buy Silent Hill 1 for $10, and it is an excellent buy - I've beaten the game about four times by now.

Shattered Memories is amazing as well, but very different. Stay away from Silent Hill 4 and Origins for now, because they are voted the worst in the series.
Thanks for the advice.

I had a look at SH 1 for the PS3 but the problem as I said is that the graphics are really 'old school' RES1 style. So I fear that would break my enjoyment of the game.

However I saw a clip of the opening of Silent Hill Homecoming and boy does it look good!!! Here it is, and it is creepy as f*ck IMO lol:

Do you think could I start the series with this game, and then, going back which would have graphics that would be similar enough to this that it wouldn't ruin the experience?

Plus for anyone who played it, could I start with Homecoming or would it be weird in terms of understanding the story?

But, Destroyer, have some +rep, for explaining which games in the series are good and which are turds lol.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-12, 05:52 PM

The cool thing with SH games is that you don't need to play any of the previous games to understand the next one - they're all different stories. So yes, you can play SH5 before any of the others and not miss out on anything.

Silent Hill 1 does have old graphics, but many agree that the graphics actually enhance the scare effect of the game, and vouch that a remake might ruin the experience. The first one is a little slower than the others though, so yeah, you may want to wait on that one.

If someone lacks intelligence, than he is not stupid, because one cannot be stupid without intelligence.

If someone reverts to having to complain about your grammar, then you already won.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-12, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroyerHive View Post
The cool thing with SH games is that you don't need to play any of the previous games to understand the next one - they're all different stories. So yes, you can play SH5 before any of the others and not miss out on anything.

Silent Hill 1 does have old graphics, but many agree that the graphics actually enhance the scare effect of the game, and vouch that a remake might ruin the experience. The first one is a little slower than the others though, so yeah, you may want to wait on that one.
That actually really interesting that people are loathe to see it updated. Thanks for the advice BTW!

There aren't any Silent Hill novels are there or even fan fiction? Cuase it really seems like a cool setting for all kinds of stories.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-12, 07:59 PM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

There are plenty im sure on fanfiction. Go there and browse around until you find ones you like.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-12, 08:54 PM

Yah, there's a lot of fanfiction, and I even picked up the Silent Hill Omnibus (graphic novels) for $20 at Chapters, although I personally hated them.

The new Silent Hill Downpour is great too apparently - I haven't tried it yet because I never buy games at full price, but many of the fans enjoy it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode