Dawn of War 1 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-15-12, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

Default Dawn of War 1

so im getting dawn of war the complete package, i saw some youtube stuff on it and wanted it so bad, is there any advice ya'll can give, i've never been that great at RTS games and i want to not die all the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-15-12, 03:40 PM

Build in mass and learn the hot keys. Never go for there base with less that most of your population. I play Soul Storm, as well as other RTS's.
post #3 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-15-12, 03:40 PM

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

I enjoy it, deff play from the beginning if you want the story because the later games are alot more fun play wise

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

post #4 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-15-12, 03:48 PM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Tech Tree - Learn it.

From then on its pretty simple. Space Marines are your best option if you're new to DoW as they tend to be the best in there for the Campaign. Spam Tacticals and the odd Predator until you can get the Land Raider then stick a squad of TH/SS TDA's in it and romp around the maps wiping everything out. Keep an eye on your Requisition and Power, top left of the screen, you need these to build Units and upgrade them as well as pay for buildings. SP's provide Req and Generators provide Power. The more you have the better.

And, while your stomping around the Maps, make sure to take and build upon EVERY Strategic Point (SP) you come across, otherwise, a cunning enemy will toddle up and build a new base next to it, while you wiping out their first one. I used to lose many multiplayer matches because i forgot to take the SP's along the way, DON'T FORGET! And always get the Relic's (Golden Squares with an SP in the middle) as they give you access to your Race's most powerful units; Land Raiders/Fire Prisms/Baneblade e.t.c

The best way to learn with any of the Race's is to use Skirmish mode. Stick it on easy CPU and try out different things. Make sure you set the options, when selecting your Race, to 'Fixed Position' and 'Player Set Teams'.

Like every other game, your going to want to play it to get the best out of it no matter how much help you get. Just smeg around and see what you can do.

As for Base Building: it can be done in many ways but you will come to learn more efficient orders in which to build it up. Using Space Marines, The most efficient way i have found to do it is as follows:

Chapel-Barracks
Armoury
1st Tier Research
Plasma Generator
Plasma Generator
Machine Cult
2nd Tier Research
Sacred Artifact (Relic if playing DoW/WA)
Plasma Generator
Plasma Generator
3rd Tier Research
Orbital Relay

Build on SP's as you capture them and have a spare builder unit. Use you Fortress Monastery (The only building you have to start with) to advance the Tiers. Level one is researched after the Armoury is built and level two after the Machine Cult is built. Third is for weapons and Land Raider (Assuming you have a Relic captured.)

In the end, as i have said, its down to you to learn and figure out the most comfortable way for you to play. Practice makes perfect.

And once you have it down, move on to Mods. Firestorm Over Kronus for Dark Crusade is the best one out there.

If your still stuck or want a human player for a talk through or to play against, let me know, i play it every day and may be able to spare a few hours to give you a practical demonstration

Alice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger

Last edited by SGMAlice; 06-15-12 at 05:20 PM.
post #5 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-15-12, 05:03 PM

You'll enjoy it, it's one of the best rts's I've played. And spend time reading the advice above, It's exactly what you need to do.
post #6 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-15-12, 05:16 PM

Thanks

Apart, possibly, from Katie Drake, i'm probably the biggest DoW fan on Heresy. Katie was involved in the playtesting of Firestrom Over Kronus, so even i would bow to her on this one. That said i play every day and i am quite confident i know everything there is to know about the game.

Alice

post #7 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-15-12, 06:07 PM

Anfo's Flag is: USA

The campaign in DOW 1/ Winter Assault will teach you how to play your army. DC/SS's campaign doesn't take you through what your army can do.

So my suggestion is (If you want to learn Chaos, Guard, Eldar, Orks or Marines) is to play the first two campaigns.

Firestorm over Kronus. Get this mod.

post #8 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-15-12, 09:43 PM

An example of just what you can do if and when you play:

I posted this up in another thread. Trying to get some people to play a few games between us all. The battles can get quite intense

Alice

post #9 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-15-12, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

i live in the states and used hughesnet "for thoughs who've never heard of it...ITS SUCKS!!!" it has a certain amount of Meg a day i can use, and playing online multiyplayer games or watching streaming videos can draaaain it like no other, but during the hours of 1 to 6 a.m. GMT it does'nt take any of the percentage down, i think thats about mid/late afternoon in the UK
post #10 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-16-12, 03:46 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMAlice View Post
I posted this up in another thread. Trying to get some people to play a few games between us all. The battles can get quite intense
What mods, where, when, and how? I am in.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode