Dawn of War 1 - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 04:13 PM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Dawn of War is a pretty good game, and if you are a warhammer fan you will not be dissapoint. HOWEVER the game engine is a pile of shit with vomit on top, which in turn kills a lot of strategy potential and makes the game at times aesthetically obnoxious.

But other than that its really fun. Some people claim that Firestorm over Kronos is the way to play. I find that mod to be pure cluster fuck on a lot of levels. The only mod that I highly suggest is Argonout's survival maps with Fuggle's patches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 04:23 PM

Insert comment here.

Last edited by Gret79; 06-21-12 at 06:58 AM.
post #43 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 04:33 PM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

SGMalice, are you saying if you build bases where the opponents bases are then your original base will disappear?

i see your battlesuit strike company and raise you

5 baneblades cursory of unlimited mod

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #44 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 04:34 PM

Zetronus's Flag is: Great Britain

I have a lot of good memories of DoW

I would often play Chaos (as possessed marines are ROCK!) - but I would also play Space Marine as well, I found Eldar / Tau / Ork and Imperial Guard, some what lacking - but I believe that its down to my style of play than anything.

I am somewhat of a very aggressive player, and will build a barracks on a SP point just outside your base early in the game. I used to have a Clan on the Mordent channel, OoS it was called back in the day, some good players and friends were on there and I had a lot of fun playing and teaching the game to the new players.

However, its a point to mention that each map is played differently pending on your species / race choice. There are a lot of new players that fall into the (build base defense first) trap - and thats not how the game works... your best defense is as much offense you can muster..

Playing multiplayer (is very rewarding) with good players to either back you up (if you are on the flank) or are providing troop / unit support (as they are on the flank). I haven't played DoW in a age it seems, I kinda lost interest when they started nerfing races for the benefit of new players that couldn't figure out how the game supposed to be play...

Although to be fair.... at one point.... three squads of Possessed Space Marines ( with a commander and sorcerer ) were virtually indestructible and would rape a based to nothing in under 2 minutes....

There are a lot of tactics,

Some that were pioneered too with sending cloaked scouts to the other end of your enemies base - only to drop Dreadnoughts on him when you engage his forces in the field...

The Dreadnought Domino Effect

Each member drops one dreadnought at the maximium view of the dreadnought dropped previous - this gives a line of progression right to the enemies base - year you sacrifice 3 or 4 dreaddies, but once you are in their base, 3 or four of you team drop their load of dreads - and that little HQ wont last 60 seconds against 8 Dreadnoughts...

This tactic also has the added bonus of the opponent fleeting his forces home - so your team takes the resource points as the wont be much of a competition for them.

Dont upgrade Dreadnoughts - this is important, leave them CC only - they do a lot more damge against structures and troops - if you want lasers - get a couple of Predators up - they do a lot more Laser damage.

I dont normally bother with Super Weapons (Relic based upgrades) as 9 times out of 10 the games dont last long enough to research and build the Land raider shaped bullseye - and the cost of terminators doesn't translate to firepower with standard troop neither.

Ahhhh... I love DoW.... one of the few games the wife and I really enjoyed!
post #45 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 05:23 PM
Rattlehead

Lights of the Warp > Firestorm. What you dudes smokin'?

Dark Crusade is the coolest, Soulstorm was disappointing. I'm not very good at the game though, keep playing it as TT and thinking that Daemon Princes are always better than Chaos Lords, Horrors are anti-infantry, Obliterators are much better than anything else, and Land Raiders are bad. Need to increase my DoW-fu.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #46 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 06:28 PM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Dreadnoughts are the best way to remove an opponents base. I regularily drop three Ironclads on an enemy base while i have them drawn out in CC. The base lasts less then 60 seconds.

Alice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
post #47 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-19-12, 03:01 AM

I'd be interested in joining a few games.
post #48 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-19-12, 11:43 AM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Lights of the Warp is not bad. The creator needs to learn how to make better installers - People install to the Game Directory not its parent directory - but its no hardship to correct the error.

It will be my Campign Mod of choice methinks but not multiplayer. FoK is still better made, more diverse and more realistic.

Alice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
post #49 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-20-12, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

i have some replays saved thats id like to turn into vids but it seems i can only view them in game, i think i might just have to get fraps "or if you know a better program"

i saw if i do Computer< C:< Program Files< THQ< Soulstorm< Playback is where people find the file but obviously it's not there on mine
post #50 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-21-12, 05:19 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

If it is like in DoW II they are not actually videos, but the game you saved more or less replaying itself from start to finish.

So I think you might need Fraps.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode