Dawn of War 1 - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-16-12, 01:29 PM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret79 View Post
With the eldar, on any given map, I infiltrate my base as soon as possible.

Don't. It takes a fair amount of Req better used on other things at an early stage. Make use of every unit you can get your hands on first, then worry about infiltrating your base. Firstly you want to have most of your base up and running, taking as many SP's as possible in that time. At the earliest, wait until you have your 3rd Tier research going to do that. Worry about putting Gates next to each and every SP up until then. I also like to put the odd Aspect Portal next to the out of the way SP's, the ones that the enemy ignores. You should also set a gate or two up near the enemy Base, but somewhere secluded, you can use them for Hit and Run attacks and when the final charge is ready, as a staging point for the attack. Try to attack from two directions at once, A large force of harrasment and CC 'Tie-Up' units to draw the enemy out and then a second force consisting mostly of anti armor/building weaponry to raze their base while they are distracted.

Example:

Harrasment/Tie Up Units:

Wraith Lord x 2
Fire Prism x2
Seer Council w/Farseer
Dark Reapers
Banshee's
Guardians x#spare

Base Destructors:

Fire Dragons w/Falcon x2
Wraith Lord

The general idea is to tie up the enemy out of their base, the Seer Coucil/Farseer and Banshee's and Wriath Lords will keep them locked in combat, the Fire Prisms add heavy weapons for Mech killing and also disrupt Infantry, the Wraith Lord can do this also if needs be.
When thats going , bring in your second force and let them loose on the base, set their stance to Burn so they will target buildings first.

I build webway gates next to every point I take, I also build them in random far away places.

Excellent.

I build two squads of guardians to take points. I max bone singers and get the farseer asap, followed by infiltrated scouts, dark reapers and fire dragons.

I don't often use Ranger squads, their infiltrate ability is pretty useless against a savvy opponent, and because they know you are using Eldar, they will be expecting alot of that ability and plan for it. On Infantry its only a short term benefit, but can be used to take SP's ,CL's and Relic's from an unsuspecting opponent.
Reapers are good, their range is their strength but power is limited by opponent. You will have to judge what unit is best to use depending on the opponent. Fire Dragons should NEVER footslog, they are too fragile. Stick them in a Falcon with Plasma weaponry upgrades, this way it can point defense its cargo and also help when attacking a base.

I build up to 15 on the squad cap. I keep the entire force in the webway gates. I teleport round, annoying armies and defending my base. I max wraithlords and wander about. As soon as I can buid the avatar I do (why I only normally go to 15 on the squad cap for a while). Then I get fire prisms and the seer council for the farseer.
Then I normally wander off and try to take over the world.

Sounds about right, but you seem to be turtling your forces, you need to be attacking them all the time, stopping them from amassing forces. Just sitting there will give them plenty of time to get out a sizable force and their best units.
Thats about it right now, i'm at work and a little busy. I'll speak more on it later if you need any clarification

As for your PC, unless its running W98, you should be fine playing online. In all honesty, few people leave the Graphics settings turned up during online matches as it can screw with their connection among other things. Unit Occlusion is a must but otherwise leave it all medium - low settings. Oh, and turn Persistant Bodies OFF.

Alice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger

Last edited by SGMAlice; 06-16-12 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-16-12, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMAlice View Post
You and two CPU's lost vs one CPU, using Space Marines.... O_o erm... ok.

Anyhoo. SP's and Relics can have LP's built on them, Only CL's can't.

Here:

Critical Location ((CL) Cannot Be Built On)

Strategic Point ((SP) Can Be Built On)

Relic (Can Be built On)

Generally they will have a white circle around them when you move your mouse over it, this means it has no owner (Neutral) and can be captured. If its GREEN you own it and can build on it. If its BLUE, an ally owns and you cannot take it or build on it. If its RED, the enemy owns it, you can uncapture it, capture it for yourself then build on it.

Uncapturing and Capturing will be done automatically by the unit you assign to it.

Alice
ah ok thankyou also i never said i lost, i just said all my guys died because they got slaughtered attacking the enemy base but the other 2 computers came in and did the rest, i had 3 full squads one with a squad leader, each squad had a flamer and 2 bolt guns or something "for buildings, and 2 scout squads lol, i have tomorrow off so im gunna be playing ALL day

Last edited by Warlord_Winters; 06-16-12 at 03:35 PM.
post #23 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-16-12, 03:33 PM

Indeed, i didn't make the distinction in my words. My bad.

Try 1vs1's for now, while you get used to the game.

Alice

post #24 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-16-12, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Indeed, i didn't make the distinction in my words. My bad.

Try 1vs1's for now, while you get used to the game.

Alice

ok ill try that

"loss loss loss loss loss loss win!!!" but thats how we learn right? lol
post #25 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-16-12, 04:18 PM

Indeed it is. And have fun!

If you want a few 1vs1's online, let me know, we can arrange a suitable time. Maybe get a few more people to join in too.

Alice

post #26 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-16-12, 04:22 PM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

ill be good for joining in games

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #27 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-16-12, 04:34 PM

Excellent! Should be interesting playing Vanilla DoW again Hopefully we can then move on to FoK.

All that is needed is Hamachi. It makes setting games up much easier.
Lets get the times arranged first

Alice

post #28 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-16-12, 04:40 PM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

ive got hamachi, but wont be able to play untill 2 weeks last tuesday, e.g the 26th of june as i have exams. but after that will be fine

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #29 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Excellent! Should be interesting playing Vanilla DoW again Hopefully we can then move on to FoK.

All that is needed is Hamachi. It makes setting games up much easier.
Lets get the times arranged first

Alice
well i did the 1st 5 missions and a ton of skirmishes today, im actaully exausted haha, and a bit of dark crusade "for the tau <3" the Risk style gameplay is intresting, im doing pretty good, i havnt died yet, yes its on easy/normal but still lol, i think i need to work on the 1st few minutes of the round though, i pop down the troop building to start catching points and a few generators but then theres about a 4-5 minute period when i just cant do anything while waiting for my income to generate, i heard a quote once about RTS games "theres always something you can do, if your not doing anything you're losing"

anyways, 14 hours of PC wargaming can take alot of me
post #30 of 153 (permalink) Old 06-18-12, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Thats about it right now, i'm at work and a little busy. I'll speak more on it later if you need any clarification

As for your PC, unless its running W98, you should be fine playing online. In all honesty, few people leave the Graphics settings turned up during online matches as it can screw with their connection among other things. Unit Occlusion is a must but otherwise leave it all medium - low settings. Oh, and turn Persistant Bodies OFF.

Alice
- me yesterday...

Thanks for this

My pc sucks more than Mr Suckalot at the world international suck fest, in the middle of world suck week.

It's elderly and half dead - the internet drops out roughly every five minutes. To post on my pc, I need to write in word, then hopefully copy/paste before it quits on me again...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode