Graphics Cards! - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-12, 09:25 AM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
I like the Mini tower as it's much neater, looks better in my house. I mean I can build a PC if I needed, that electronic engineering degree has to be good for something, the idea is to do something lower effort. or I could use the i7 PC that I have for work. Tearing out a PSU and Card is quick and easy, if that's simply not possible then that's also fine it still runs the games I actually play on it fine just now.
it might be possible, but you will need to be concerned about the dimensions of the card. the site i listed that gave the physical dimensions will give the physical dimensions of every card they carry. so, you just need to find out how much room you have and do a comparison.

the old nvidia cards are much smaller than any of the 200 plus models. you might fit a 9xxx model. not sure about ati as the 6770 is the first one i have run. i have always run a large PSU so I am not sure if upgrading will take up more space either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-12, 11:11 AM

SGMAlice's Flag is: England

It is likely you will need to replace the PSU, as Lokis says, to a minimun of 450Watts. Probably be safer too.

As for a card:

nVidia GT430

Yes, it an nVidia card. Its relatively cheap, plenty powerful for what you want and low profile.

Alice

PC/Laptop Problems? Post Here: Heresy Online's PC Hardware Help Thread
WIP Custom Chapter Fluff: The Children Of The Dragon
WIP Bio-Mechanical Tyranids: Hive Fleet Giger
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-12, 11:24 AM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMAlice View Post
It is likely you will need to replace the PSU, as Lokis says, to a minimun of 450Watts. Probably be safer too.

As for a card:

nVidia GT430

Yes, it an nVidia card. Its relatively cheap, plenty powerful for what you want and low profile.

Alice
good find. thought he would have to go lower than that. doesn't seem as good as a high end 9000 series, but still much better than what I thought he would have to go with. needs a min of a 300 watt psu.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Graphics.html

here are some video tests:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/83...t-430-review/4

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-12, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Those are some good suggestions, it's a standard form factor PSU so replacing it is easy enough done. Just don't want to replace the box as I like it.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-12, 11:34 AM

Based on the information provided, it should do the trick.
He isn't looking for anything 'super powerful', just something better than his current card.

9000? If i recall correctly there was no Low Profile variant of that series.
As it stands; low profile cards are hard to get hold of powerful enough to run todays games. One of my spare pc's has a nVidia 315 in it, tiny little thing but plays even Battlefield 3, the 315 is an OEM card, not easy to get hold of.

Alice

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-12, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

That's exactly it, I don't want to install games on my actual Work PC which is much more powerful than that one, I'd rather just tinker it to being a bit better. I'm not going to be trying to run Crysis on max or anything like that. My main issue is i'm getting weird texture and graphical glitches in World of Tanks now so it's time for a little update.

Aramoro

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-12, 11:59 AM

The GT430 is good value but it depends what you want to do with the machine. While I agree not worth overspending, also I think worth buying something that will last a little while. I think around the 100 mark may be better than the 50 mark for that. Also newer/higher end cards probably will be better supported by future drivers etc.

As to space there are two directions to be concerned about, the height and the length. I had an old 8800GTX in the past that seemed about a mile long and I know on the compact mobos can end up hitting the coolers on the board. I have found that for the same gpu type there are boards of diffeerent heights and lengths. For instance I have an early 5830 which si very long but now they do much shorter ones. I would obviosuly choose a shorter one, maybe something like this at around 100 - it is short and though it takes up the space of two PCI slots it looks pretty compact.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-12, 12:11 PM

A good suggestion. However the size may be a factor still.

Alice

p.s. ATI Sucks

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-12, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I think it was an 8800GTX I had in my old PC as it happens. This is what in inside of my PC looks like roughly, the other PCI's are empty though.

So anything chunky is going to struggle

Aramoro

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-12, 12:46 PM

Alice, my last comp was an intel with an nvidia gpu (the 8800gtx) - since i swapped first to an ATI GPU (as at the time the nvidias weren't great value, just down to when i bought) and then an AMD cpu as i got given one and didn't have the money for the i5 2500k i wanted! Nothing against Nvidia though, my 8800gtx was amazing, and the newer nvidias seem great also.

Aramoro, i see you dilema! Looks like the 2 slot hight is fine to me, you just need to measure the gap to whatever is in the slot below (it looks like there si something there in the image though you say it is empty).

The 6770 I linked, for instance has product info here. It is 23.5 X 14 X 4 cm (HxWxD). I think that might be OK guessing based on your picture. The biggest problem would be the heat pipes sticking out the side of the card, or toward the camera in the picture you posted. It also takes only one PCIe 6 pin power connector (larger cards take 2 now) and will run off a 450w PSU, so probably an update but not a huge one. I'd advocate modular PSUs if you can afford them, make for nicer cable management.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode