Diablo III Stress Test Thoughts - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Default Diablo III Stress Test Thoughts

To those who don't know, Blizzard is allowing players to play through what looks to be a large chunk of Act I in the highly anticipated addition to a respected series for free. It lasts until Monday, so check out Blizzard's website to get in on the offer.

Some of you might know how much of a hardcore Diablo fan I am. So I wasted no time downloading the D3 client and jumping in on the mass test just weeks before release despite having critical doubts that this next installment could come close to holding a candle alongside such a legendary game as Diablo 2. My experience was interesting, nonetheless.

Overall I am disappointed. Blizzard has effectively gutted out many of the RPG elements from the original games in favor of a more watered down and streamlined take on character progression. Every person who picks a Monk, for example, will wind up learning the exact same skill-set, (it isn't a tree). You simply learn minor bonuses to your skill the more you use them.

Although the characters are quite interesting. With the exception of the Witch Doctor IMO, but he has some admittedly interesting moves to throw down. I'd rather have my good ol'Necromancer.

Items/loot are significantly lacking in variety in compared to the previous games although Blizzard threw a curve ball in with a simple crafting system. You will gain access to your own personal blacksmith who can be taught and trained new 'recipes'. Essentially it replaces the gambling system of Diablo 2 with something a bit more direct. As you can have him build items with random enchantments. Although you can have him build specific rares/unique and possibly set items down the road.

One thing that totally got my attention was the environmental artwork. I was worried the game would turn in to WoWablo III, but the map was essentially a more heavily evolved version of Diablo 2 in theme. It is very surreal and on many occasions it felt as though I were playing within a well done gothic horror painting.

My approval of this doesn't extend to the outdoor map layouts themselves, however. I found it hard to resist flashbacks of Fable 1 in the way the map continuously funnels you in one narrow direction. Clearings that were so common in Diablo 2 were far and few between, though I didn't let it bother me too much since you are essentially fighting within a large forest. In-door layouts were just much more interesting.

The music reminds me of Diablo I quite heavily with a splashing of WoW: The Burning Crusade. I'm not sure whether they went this way since you begin the game around old Tristram, where a good chunk of my nostalgia rests, or if the entire game is like it. Either way I'd say that Diablo 2 still has the better of the soundtracks thus far.

It was merely a stress test, of course, but that was my first taste of the game. I've plenty more to say but I won't bludgeon everyone's eyeballs out with The Great Wall of Text. I recommend checking the stress test out while you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 02:59 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Did it feel like it had been designed so it can port to console ?

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Although the interface was quite simplified, I don't think that it was geared with consoles in mind. However it is interesting to note that developers of Diablo 1-2 worked on a small game known as Torchlight which seemed quite similar, even more complex than, Diablo 3. Torchlight was ported to the XBox Live Arcade and I still enjoy playing it now/then.

It's possible that down the road Diablo 3 or perhaps a standalone spin-off could be ported to consoles, though I'm unaware of any solid word on such a happening.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 04:58 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

IIRC torchlight 2 is coming out and it will be much cheaper than diable 3.... with videos and experiences, i think i am saving my money for that game.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-12, 07:24 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

well, if you want good alternative to diablo 3, check path of exile. its free to play, soon to go open beta. It's great game, with some new nice concepts

On topic, although they did simplify many thing in Diablo 3, I still quite liked it. I don't even mind graphics.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Honestly, this is a degradation from what the Diablo franchise once stood for. Your money would be best spent elsewhere. Buy Diablo 2 instead if you have not played it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 09:58 AM

I don't know, to me it seems people are overreacting. I'm fan of the series, played uncountable hours of diablo 2 in high school, loved Diablo 1, and I still like this new, GW2 - like system with changeable skills. Cooldowns and different resources between classes add nice layer. Removal of attributes distribution is bad, but I can live with. Yes, the game will not have huge great value as Diablo 2, you don't ever need to make another character of same class cause all skills are available to you, but still, nothing bad with skill system, it's just different.

Still, if you don't like this, you should really try Path Of Exile , it's great and it seems to be what you are looking for. It will be complete free to play, with only cosmetic pay options. I have close beta account but haven't played for some time, I just beat all difficulties with one char and now I'm waiting for release=open beta. You have huge passive skill tree(1000s of bonuses), active skills are defined by gems socketed in items, it has great crafting system and many other nice ideas(like linked gem sockets so connected gems affect how your skill gem works). It looks more like sequel to Diablo 2 then D3 do in terms of gameplay. It really has great variety of options to chose and ways to customize your character. I do like differences between classes more in D3, in POE, you can make any class works any way you want, class only affect where you start in passive skill tree.

Anyway, I plan to play both. POE has maybe more innovative gameplay, but it lacks Diablo 3's atmosphere and story. Still, since on is f2p, i only hope i'll have time.

Last edited by Fire Tempered; 04-22-12 at 10:04 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

I'll investigate Path of Exile, Fire Tempered. Sounds like a fun game when you put it that way.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 10:33 AM

Dawnstar's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Tempered View Post
Still, if you don't like this, you should really try Path Of Exile , it's great and it seems to be what you are looking for.
Looks awesome

Can't wait for the open beta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Mate, bacon can do anything.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-12, 12:45 PM

You should sign up anyway. You may be drawn for closed beta, they pick at random every few minutes, though they are many people still waiting. Only downside is they will reset everything after open beta, and that's why I don't play atm. Game was really polished when i played in 0.95 and 0.96, with 2 whole acts, 4 difficulties and no apparent bugs. In open beta there will be 3rd act.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode