Bringing out your dead....Laptop - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Bringing out your dead....Laptop

Ok so i was "gifted" a dell 6400 Inspiron from a friend who bought a new laptop, Its slow as hell (even for its age) i suspect it might have some virus and trojans and as nothing on it is mine or needs to be saved i was just gonna wipe the drive and roll it back to factory settings and use it as a spare for the office, but it didnt come with any disks or anything to aid me in my quest to make it useable again.

So anyone want to offer up some ideas to format the drive without disks?

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 02:27 PM

RedThirstWill Destroy's Flag is: England

Have you looked up restore option in the control panel (I think) it should have a default save for backup, I'll have a look on mine tonight
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 02:53 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

I suggest this first:

You might just need to clean and defrag the computer.

Go through the installed stuff and get rid of anything you don't need. Google things that look iffy.

Then go under programs- accessories - system tools.
Run a disk clean up and then run defrag.

After that install Avast. It is a free real time antivirus and it is fantastic. Set it up to scan computer on boot. This will let it scan before programs are running and set the scan to indepth.... leave it a few hours.

If you are still having issues, there are other things to check. This saves you having to buy an OS, finding a friend with a pro version of an OS, or paying dell or someone else to do it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedThirstWill Destroy View Post
Have you looked up restore option in the control panel (I think) it should have a default save for backup, I'll have a look on mine tonight
I have always found those useless.... usually you have to have created a restore point and even then, you don't know that it was created before or after infection.

I prefer reformat and reinstall if I am going to do it.

edit: win7 does it automatically (xp didn't) , so depending on the OS, this might work. still might have the above issue.

Last edited by lokis222; 04-11-12 at 02:57 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

cant get it to download Avast, it seems to avoid finding it, it finds other pages instead, i have run Ad-aware on it (after a few attempts) and its found a trojan genericwin32 bt, which is malware, but Adaware cant seem to get rid of it, which is the first time i have had Ad-aware fail, normally its good at stopping and removing anything nasty.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 03:44 PM

You could if you were feeling frisky just download an Unbuntu disk or something, It will make it perfectly usable from browsing etc

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
You could if you were feeling frisky just download an Unbuntu disk or something, It will make it perfectly usable from browsing etc
im not familiar with Unbuntu, and as far as i can tell the cd drive is also shot (the tray fell out this morning), im tempted to wipe the drive and buy xp OS and start again but if the cd drive is buggered i think i may just scrap it for parts.

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 05:04 PM

no cd drive kills the new OS idea. if you have an external hard drive kicking around or a computer you are willing to create shared files with, you might be able to do something.... though, the latter is a pain in the ass and would require finicking around with virtual drives and whatnot.

as to avast, if you have a USB stick, you could find avast on another computer and save the exe or go here:

http://www.avast.com/en-ca/index

This is the main page.

Also, starting it in safe mode with network support could help bypass some issues. adaware is good, but... not that good.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 05:07 PM

btw... that trojan might not be real:

http://www.spywareremove.com/removeT...GenericBT.html

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-12, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
nice boy, daft though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokis222 View Post
btw... that trojan might not be real:

http://www.spywareremove.com/removeT...GenericBT.html
hmmm thats interesting, i scanned using several other malware killers and they didnt find it, but adaware keeps coming up with it, that said the system is still acting funny, its opening internet explorer by itself and it fails to serch correctly when using fire fox.
also it wont allow me to open task manager, which i read is a sign that the trojan maybe genuine.
Im gonna try the avast on thumb drive in safe mode and see how i get on, but if im honest its getting to be more trouble than its worth,i have 4 PCs altogether and one of them (desk top) hasnt been switched on for months,I have prided myself on either being virus free or able to get rid of any threat in 24 hours after discovery, so i think its just a matter of personal pride lol

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode