Dawn of War II guide - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-10, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Professor Pumpkin's Flag is: England

Default Dawn of War II guide

I'll be uploading it in parts, so I'll try and update it every day until I've finished all the parts.

Dawn of War II: Guide
Part 1: Squads
It really goes without saying, but you need a good variety of squads within your army. Luckily for the first part of the game, you donít exactly get a choice, as you just have enough squads to fill it up.

Contents:
1.1: Force Commander
1.2: Tarkus
1.3: Cyrus
1.4: Avitus
1.5: Thaddeus
1.6: Davian Thule (Dreadnought)
1.7: Squad use

1.1: Force Commander
The Force Commander is a good all-rounder; he can use Terminator armour with either a pair of close combat weapons (Storm Shield and Thunder Hammer), or be equipped with weapons such as Powerfists and Storm Bolters. He is the only unit in the game that can equip a Commander Item, a special type of accessory. He can equip two accessories by default, but if he takes the trait Improved Load-out, he can equip three accessories. He is extremely powerful, and he is the only squad that has to be taken. You also start with him in the first mission.

1.2: Tarkus
Tarkus is the other squad that you start with in the first mission, and he, like the Force Commander, is an incredibly powerful squad. He is a squad of four Tactical Marines, each one starts equipped with a bolter, but thatís just the start of what he can use. You can equip Tarkus and his squad with Terminator armour, plasma weapons, and even more powerful bolters. He too can equip two accessories, but with the Improved Load-out trait, he can use three. Tarkus is a must in every mission you can use him, a well rounded character that you can equip for your upcoming mission.

1.3: Cyrus
Cyrus is the first squad that you actually unlock, as you gain him in the second mission at the very start. He is a scout squad that can use Infiltrate to sneak behind enemy lines. He starts off equipped with a bolter, but he can use Shotguns and Sniper Rifles later on. He is a relatively weak squad, and only has three men. For the first half of the game, Cyrus is a good choice, as the fighting is quite small, but once you reach the second half, he should be put in the reserves. He too can use two accessories. Cyrus cannot use Terminator armour or power armour.

1.4: Avitus
Avitus is the second squad you unlock, just a few minutes after gaining Cyrus in the second mission. He is a Devastator squad, and he starts off equipped with a Heavy Bolter. Heís a moderately powerful squad, and is useful for dealing with bosses. He can equip Terminator armour, and a variety of weapons, such as plasma cannons and rocket launchers. He can equip two accessories, and is good at long range combat. Heís a good choice throughout the entire game.

1.5: Thaddeus
Thaddeus is the third character you can unlock, and is a powerful one at that. Although his armour his very weak, he can still deal a lot of damage. His weapon choice is things such as Chainswords and Bolt Pistols, but he can also use Storm Shields and Thunder Hammers. Thaddeus starts off with a jump pack, an invaluable accessory for the war. You gain him in the mission that Cyrus doesnít deploy. Thaddeus is a good choice for a long time, and should be swapped around with Cyrus.

1.6: Davian Thule (Dreadnought)
Davian Thule is the final character you gain in the game, and heís well worth waiting for. Equipped in a suit of Dreadnought armour, Davian is an unstoppable machine that needs his own healing. Once you acquire him, you get the Rites of Repair to give to one of your characters. This is the equivalent of the healing pack the Force Commander starts off with. He can equip two close combat claws, or a gun and close combat weapon. Once you get him, itís certain to use him.

1.7: Squad usage
Once you have acquired Thaddeus you are faced with a difficult question. What squads should I use? There are four spaces, and you have to take the Force Commander, so that leaves three spaces open. Tarkus is a great all rounder, and should be used in every mission. Similarly, Avitus is also a must-use; his fire power canít be matched by any other squad. So that leaves a choice between Thaddeus and Cyrus. I donít ever use Cyrus, but because Iíve heard he can be useful, I wonít be biased. If you are more of a kill them quickly and brutally style of player, then Thaddeus is useful, as he can jump straight into the battle with his jump pack. But, if you want to be efficient and survive longer, Cyrus should be used, as he can Infiltrate behind enemy lines and start the fighting before the main army appears. Iíve heard each can work, but I prefer Thaddeus.

Story I'm Currently Writing:

The Diary of a Guardsman (Continuous Story)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-11, 11:34 AM
JimmyTheCannon's Flag is: USA

You really think Tarkus is that good? For me, he seems to have way too little health - particularly for someone with a Taunt ability. Out of all of my characters - even Cyrus - he dies the most.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-11, 08:35 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
You really think Tarkus is that good? For me, he seems to have way too little health - particularly for someone with a Taunt ability. Out of all of my characters - even Cyrus - he dies the most.
Your doing it wrong...

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode