PS4, aka "Orbis" rumors - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 01:43 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
But yes, let the gaming community complain about day 1 dlc meaning the game is an unfinished product, when ACTUAL unfinished products come out and they get game of the year.
He could also be referring to their destruction of smaller (awesome) game studios, dodgy employment practices and the fact they put out the same games every year with little effort to improve them.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 02:02 AM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Quote:

As to the reasons that new DRM leads to more Piracy, it's because people don't want to deal with the DRM. Stuff like Ubisofts latest DRM for PC games (requiring constant internet connection for single player games) has lead people to download cracks to avoid playing the game online, which is funny because most of those people have been continuously online for about a decade (I'd wager), and regularly use Steam.
Yes you are correct, I think much of it also has to do with the fact that if people pay for a product, they don't enjoy being forced to do what they are told by the developer how, when , and where you can use there product, many believe (myself included) I paid for it and who are you to tell me how I will use it, the law afterall says as long as I don't copy and sell it I own it. The issue is that these companies believe that they should have complete ownership of the product regardless if the consumer has paid for it.

Anyway since we are speaking of EA games they just won the award for worst company of 2012, managing to beat out Bank of America, I am curious though how this may affect the company in future endeavors. What does somewhat show though is that consumers are beginning to act out and voice their angers towards the industry. I personally never had too many issues with EA, but I have seen that they have had kind od shady dealings with DLC and the whole whining about the end of ME3 thing, I still have yet to beat the game and figure out what the problem is. My anger is still ocused on Capcom's BS that they have been pulling lately, I personally seen way more shadiness in that company over the past few years than EA.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-12, 01:29 PM

Shady ed's Flag is: Australia

I wish I was only paying $60 for brand new games!
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-12, 01:52 PM

BloodAngelZeros's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedThirstWill Destroy View Post
It won't be the first time Sony make a mistake, I for one will DEFO not be buying one, i'll be waiting for the next microsft installment, plus those specs seem less than my laptop .
Microsoft is planning on doing something similar as well.

As for the two main points that everybody hates, it would work if they end up dropping the price of the games from $60. Given that you have to pay more money after the initial $60 for updates and content, it would only make sense to make the initial cost less and then just have updates and new content on the PSN.

"There is a cancer eating at the Imperium. With each decade it advances deeper, leaving drained, dead worlds in its wake. This horror, this abomination, has though and purpose which functions on an unimaginable, galactic scale and all we can do is try to stop the swarms of bio-engineered monsters it unleashes upon us by instinct. We have given the horror a name to salve our fears; we call it the Tyranid race, but if it is aware of us at all, it must know us only as Prey."
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-12, 01:57 PM

Marius_Ruberu's Flag is: USA

I will never by a new Xbox, I have gone through 2 Xboxs, and on my fourth 360. Until Microsoft can produce a product without a timed self-destruct mechanism, I will not purchase from them. As for Sony, I like their products a lot but, I waited 4 years to buy the Ps3 and I rarely buy new games because I spend too money on Warhammer as it is. I love the PC games and steam plus there are some really fun FREE games for PC like World of Tanks. So, if the rumors are true, they have lost me as a customer. I will go on a buying spree when all the little kids sell their games and accessories for their old PS3 to get money for the new.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-12, 05:05 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
He could also be referring to their destruction of smaller (awesome) game studios, dodgy employment practices and the fact they put out the same games every year with little effort to improve them.
We see that with Activision/Blizzard, Ubisoft, THQ, and every other gaming publisher out there. This is in no way a unique trait to EA.

Rehashing Call of Duty (Activision/Blizzard), Madden/NHL/NBA (EA), Assassins Creed (Ubisoft), and WWE Wrestling games (THQ) gives those companies the financial footing they need to put out games like Prototype 2/Transformers Cybertron (Activision), Mirrors Edge/Kingdoms of Amalur (EA), Driver/Prince of Persia (Ubisoft), and Darksiders/Warhammer games (THQ). While I would rather see new IPs getting released every year large publishers need to have a bankable product they can rely on every year. There's also the fact that many "rehash" titles (specifically sports games) have reached their peak (or close to it) in terms of current technology. A football game is a football game and there isn't anything they can do to change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpore View Post
Yes you are correct, I think much of it also has to do with the fact that if people pay for a product, they don't enjoy being forced to do what they are told by the developer how, when , and where you can use there product, many believe (myself included) I paid for it and who are you to tell me how I will use it, the law afterall says as long as I don't copy and sell it I own it. The issue is that these companies believe that they should have complete ownership of the product regardless if the consumer has paid for it.
Well it's like that with PC software too. You don't "own" the product, you have a licence to use it from the publishing company. It's because of poor wording in legal systems around the world concerning software, as they haven't caught up with technology, and the fact we have some scum bag people that think "owning" software means they can just sell it secondhand (or just give it away, for non scum bags)to whoever they want (which is where product keys came from).

The problem that these companies are having is they don't realize consumers WANT to buy their product and support gaming studios, but not at the cost of insane DRM and other anti-piracy measures. We see how profitable it can be when companies avoid things like that with services such as Steam.

Quote:
Anyway since we are speaking of EA games they just won the award for worst company of 2012, managing to beat out Bank of America, I am curious though how this may affect the company in future endeavors. What does somewhat show though is that consumers are beginning to act out and voice their angers towards the industry. I personally never had too many issues with EA, but I have seen that they have had kind od shady dealings with DLC and the whole whining about the end of ME3 thing, I still have yet to beat the game and figure out what the problem is. My anger is still ocused on Capcom's BS that they have been pulling lately, I personally seen way more shadiness in that company over the past few years than EA.
Lets be real, EA getting the "Worst Company 2012" award is because of the "Internet" deciding to bomb the voting. There was no objective group reviewing what makes them the "Worst" Company compared to entities like Bank of America, Comcast (the shit these guys pull makes me cry), Walmart, and a host of companies that weren't even in the brackets (no AIG or other shady financial institutions). 2 competitors in the brackets are government bodies (USPS and Sallie Mae) for crying out loud, one of which is just a body that holds government backed student loans. This award means jack shit.

As to Capcom's crap, they are just pushing the envelope to see what they can get away with. Putting locked characters on disc for them isn't anything new either, as in the original launch of Street Fighter 2 you couldn't select the 4 bosses (Vega, Sagat, Balrog, M. Bison) though their models, move sets, and other data were stored on "disk." You had to purchase the "Championship" edition at full retail price to gain access to those characters and make your previous "disk" pointless.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-12, 12:21 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
We see that with Activision/Blizzard, Ubisoft, THQ, and every other gaming publisher out there. This is in no way a unique trait to EA.
Fair point, but for me EA lead the way in these respects. It's very rare they put out a game that i'd want to buy, and most of those are from separate studios, vaguely connected by their publishing arm (e.g Amulur)

I appreciate the hate for EA is ridiculously over-hyped and fueled by internet circle jerking, but EA do make a lot of dick moves, and in recent years the quality of their product just seems lackluster and uninspiring.

Plus they ruined C&C and theme park

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode