PS4, aka "Orbis" rumors - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 08:28 PM

VixusKragov's Flag is: USA

I heard something the other day along the lines of Gamestop refusing to stock this when it comes out due to a large part of their profits coming from used games.

Don't know how credible this info is or have a source.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 08:34 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Death of a industry? Already seeing signs of it with the lose of rogers and blockbusters video in most of canada (No game renting going on here).

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 08:55 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by VixusKragov View Post
I heard something the other day along the lines of Gamestop refusing to stock this when it comes out due to a large part of their profits coming from used games.

Don't know how credible this info is or have a source.
That will never happen. A company choosing not to sell a next gen console and all the games that go with it is business suicide.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-04-12, 09:30 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
the ps3 is already not compatible with ps2 titles, destroying lending and second hand sales is just good business sense, xbox will do the same.
... and there we have the reason I've never upgraded to a PS3.

I'll save my 400 from a PS4 and just buy a better PC next time I need a new one... which I expect will be longer then a generation of consoles anyway, but for now my PC is still pretty solid and steam is great. Who doesn't like being able to browse games at 80% off at will..? (or ignoring all the adverts at a single click when you exit- there aren't annoying pop-ups everywhere).

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-12, 04:40 AM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

I did a lil digging in this and as it turns out Sony and MS are in a partnership with game stop, in which case this would kill that partnership, because a large part of their sales comes from companies of this nature, also the push is mainly coming from the whining of the developers, not Sony or MS. The main issue going on here is that the two are not putting any stipulations really on the develoers and allowing them to do almost anything they want, unlike Nintendo who may sell digital downloadble games do not support nor allow these developers to sale DLC on there games, hence why you are seeing more developers walking away from Nintendo, the company monitors and places stipulations to disallow these developers from running amok, Sony and MS however just let them almost do anything they want.

I don't really see the banning of used games happening anyhow, it would be one of the worst mistakes the companies made, many would not buy their product, due to the taking away from the functionality that is a console gaming system, using DRM and requiring net connection is a drawback for the console market, these reasons are part of the appeal to consumers, because unlike PC gaming there is less strings attached to the purchase and there is the easy plug and play factor of the system. I personally feel that the reason this information has been leaked is to gain a quick feedback on the topic to see how negatively it would be recieved, which as far as I have seen has been quite negative, not to mention this is a very bold move that cannot be made at the drop of a dime. Only time will tell and it is afterall rumour and we here at Heresy know full well about rumours and how they tend to work. These systems are still over full year away.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-12, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

I'll tell you one thing, EA needs to have a leash around its neck at the very least. you want a shady business with no regard for its customers? EA is your go-to.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-12, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
I'll tell you one thing, EA needs to have a leash around its neck at the very least. you want a shady business with no regard for its customers? EA is your go-to.
EA and Capcom have had issues with them lately, both companies definately need to be given a leash, I'm not going into it, but both have been doing some pretty shady shit lately.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-12, 12:39 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpore View Post
I don't really see the banning of used games happening anyhow, it would be one of the worst mistakes the companies made, many would not buy their product, due to the taking away from the functionality that is a console gaming system, using DRM and requiring net connection is a drawback for the console market,
This is why i still rate the Wii over the ps3 and 360. The latter to me are just less functional PCs and media centres. There's nothing wrong with that of course, but if you already have a PC i don't see why you'd want one. There's still plenty of great games on those systems, and a large portion of these are also available on the PC as well. The wii on the other hand has a massive variety of shit titles, but the games developed by Nintendo are fantastic, console-y goodness.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-12, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
This is why i still rate the Wii over the ps3 and 360. The latter to me are just less functional PCs and media centres. There's nothing wrong with that of course, but if you already have a PC i don't see why you'd want one. There's still plenty of great games on those systems, and a large portion of these are also available on the PC as well. The wii on the other hand has a massive variety of shit titles, but the games developed by Nintendo are fantastic, console-y goodness.
Many of Nintendo's titles are mainly geared towards the console and not focused on being on multiple platforms. As I said they want to provide a good quality product without having strings attached to it. They have been in the console wars since the beginning and are still hanging in there, so they must have been doing something right, with MS and Sony on the other hand, yes there are better games and many great titles, but they don't watch there developers and give in to there whining consistantly. The only reason I still enjoy the console gaming more is the ease of use, being able to throw in the disc and knowing it will work and not being worried if I will have to tweak settings or if my PC can handle it leaves me with much less headache and there are some games that are just better on a console than on a PC, like Mortal Kombat. If many haven't noticed its been the big AAA developers whining about the used game market, ie. Capcom and EA are the biggest whinos of the bunch, the thing is that sooner or later these companies are going to have to finally accept that piracy will always happen and people are going to always trade in or sell off there own property when they no longer want it.

What baffles me is when all these restrictions and weird tactics are employed to combat piracy and the like, is that it seems to promote more piracy and the companies don't seem to see that it is making them look more like greedy corporate ass monkeys, rather than protectors of their property.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-06-12, 01:31 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
I did a lil digging in this and as it turns out Sony and MS are in a partnership with game stop, in which case this would kill that partnership, because a large part of their sales comes from companies of this nature, also the push is mainly coming from the whining of the developers, not Sony or MS. The main issue going on here is that the two are not putting any stipulations really on the develoers and allowing them to do almost anything they want, unlike Nintendo who may sell digital downloadble games do not support nor allow these developers to sale DLC on there games, hence why you are seeing more developers walking away from Nintendo, the company monitors and places stipulations to disallow these developers from running amok, Sony and MS however just let them almost do anything they want.
Gamestop has "partnerships" (if you can call them that) with everyone in the video game industry, though they are mostly partners with publishers, as opposed to hardware developers (though both Microsoft and Sony publish first party titles). The reason they partner with the publishers like EA, Blizzard/Activision, THQ, Take-Two, and Ubisoft is because those companies pay BIG advertising dollars to promote their games, with both in store graphics and asking customers for reserves. This is why certain games (like Call of Duty) gets pushed to the extreme, while other AAA titles released at the same time get much smaller pushes (like Tekken 6 when MW2 launched).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
Yeah, cause EA has the shadiest business practices

Bethesda releases "games" that are barely out of an alpha build and are UNPLAYABLE on PS3 until a patch that isn't out on day 1. That is bull shit at it's finest. Completely optional day one $DLC that has tidbits of info that would only appeal to long time players and could be given in game as codex entries isn't even in the same league as that.

But yes, let the gaming community complain about day 1 dlc meaning the game is an unfinished product, when ACTUAL unfinished products come out and they get game of the year.

Quote:
What baffles me is when all these restrictions and weird tactics are employed to combat piracy and the like, is that it seems to promote more piracy and the companies don't seem to see that it is making them look more like greedy corporate ass monkeys, rather than protectors of their property.
Well people do need to get it out of their heads that gaming companies (like movie companies) are doing all this for the consumers benefit regardless of profit. They have always been about making money. While some studios always made sure they put out a quality product regardless of cost or backing(Blizzard for example) they always did it with the intention of making a good profit after launch.

As to the reasons that new DRM leads to more Piracy, it's because people don't want to deal with the DRM. Stuff like Ubisofts latest DRM for PC games (requiring constant internet connection for single player games) has lead people to download cracks to avoid playing the game online, which is funny because most of those people have been continuously online for about a decade (I'd wager), and regularly use Steam.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode