DLC is becoming trully a rip-off - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 05:14 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpore View Post
Now you may be right about ceratain files being included on the disc, yes, view a few sources on Capcom's lil shenanigan, they openly admitted to including all of the extra content to be released on their game disc, we are not talking about a few files to help fill gaps we are talking full amounts of content. That is my main focus here is when a company does things of that nature. I have no problem with DLC, its a good thing, but I am beginning to see it being abused and feel that something needs to be in place now to regulate it. Not sure how that could ever possibly be done, but something needs to be done.
As for some form of regulation, the best form is with your wallet. DLC is optional content for the main game, and is NEVER required to complete the game. Not buying the DLC is the best way to prevent it's abuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-13-12, 01:00 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Well i'm right.... mostly...

Bioware has release an official statement about the so-called 'DLC scandel'.

Now Spore.... Turns out there are files on the disc related to the From Ashes DLC. However... These are only 'Cue' files, to make sure that the content would sync up properly with the main game.

In other words its similar to what they did with the Zaeed and Kasumi DLC's.

So any claims that you can unlock the Prothean from the disc is bollocks... Files exist, but you won't have the missions, weapons, animations or sound files etc. You do need the download for that.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...s-on-disc.aspx

I'll also point out that the vid of the so called fan unlock is heavily edited, and the sudden appearence is very console hack... IE.. its faked.

Edit: Okay, Wusword already pointed out the link... but the point still stands....

We were both right, to a degree. There are some files there, but they are in no way the full DLC, so it is NOT on the disc.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-13-12, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizBe View Post
Well i'm right.... mostly...

Bioware has release an official statement about the so-called 'DLC scandel'.

Now Spore.... Turns out there are files on the disc related to the From Ashes DLC. However... These are only 'Cue' files, to make sure that the content would sync up properly with the main game.

In other words its similar to what they did with the Zaeed and Kasumi DLC's.

So any claims that you can unlock the Prothean from the disc is bollocks... Files exist, but you won't have the missions, weapons, animations or sound files etc. You do need the download for that.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...s-on-disc.aspx

I'll also point out that the vid of the so called fan unlock is heavily edited, and the sudden appearence is very console hack... IE.. its faked.

Edit: Okay, Wusword already pointed out the link... but the point still stands....

We were both right, to a degree. There are some files there, but they are in no way the full DLC, so it is NOT on the disc.
Yeah I read through several of the stories to cover it as well, and I agree that lil video proved absolutely nothing, it was a just biased piece of nothing trying to dicredit a big corporation, I knew eventually Biowqare was going to come out and respond to it and the whole explanation makes sense, unlike Capcom's retard statement about making sure all the online interactions stay compatible.

I still feel the whole DLC thing is beginning to become highly abused by some of these developers and its becoming sort of a cop out to cut corners.

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-13-12, 01:50 PM

Day 1 DLC is common to enable the publisher to recoup some money from Second Hand sales, which why you'll get a lot of editions of games which come with vouchers for the content. Arkham City did this, as did Space Marine, Deus Ex etc etc. At the end of the day it's optional content if you want it then buy it.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-13-12, 02:33 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
Sure, sometimes it can be a bit expensive, but to be honest, with things like Steam around (I know some people hate it) buying games has never been easier or chaper...

You'd be suprised at how economical you can be with a little patience, plus the games have usually been patched two or three times, meaning that when you sit down to play it for the first time, its even better!
This. If you don't buy into the whole "OMG MUST HAVE THIS ON DAY OF RELEASE!!!" culture, you're able to save yourself a shit-ton of money. Christmas and New Year and school holidays (easter, summer, public holidays like Valentines) are bloody excellent times to buy games on steam for less than a tenner. You'll still play the same good games as everyone else, but you'll pay about 1/4 of the price because you're a few months behind the curve. I'll be getting Skyrim the next time it's on sale because it'll be a tenner - less than a quarter of the 45 price tag it had in Game.

Because I buy games like this, it makes me a lot less pissed off about DLC because it's normally about 50 pence per item...

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-13-12, 05:07 PM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

This is what I think of DLC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1331657423779.jpg (508.2 KB, 22 views)

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-19-12, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

SO here is another lil update to throw into this fray off assholeshness that Capcom is doing, apparently when all of their on disk DLC is fully released and accessable, it will rank in at a whopping $120. Remeber now you paid for the disk and the content is already their fully usable, actually hackers have been using the content already, then again maybe Im just an angry consumer, or maybe I just don't enjoy being ripped off.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...dy-on-the-disc

post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 03:09 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpore View Post
SO here is another lil update to throw into this fray off assholeshness that Capcom is doing, apparently when all of their on disk DLC is fully released and accessable, it will rank in at a whopping $120. Remeber now you paid for the disk and the content is already their fully usable, actually hackers have been using the content already, then again maybe Im just an angry consumer, or maybe I just don't enjoy being ripped off.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...dy-on-the-disc
Capcom's been doing this before they even had DLC.

Street Fight 2
Street Fighter 2 Championship edition
Super Street Fighter 2
Super Street Fighter 2 Championship edition
Hyper Street Fighter 2

Come on, we all know what they do at this point.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 03:51 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Let me get this straight as I am not 100% certain what DLC actually is but I can take a guess.

You're shitty because when you went out and bought a game you found that the game included not only the game you paid for but some extra data on the disc as well that is an extension to your original game and you see this as "evil corporations" ripping you off ?

I don't get that, is it better that they publish that content entirely separately and charge you again for the infrastructure costs of getting the game to you plus the cost of the game itself?
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-20-12, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Let me get this straight as I am not 100% certain what DLC actually is but I can take a guess.

You're shitty because when you went out and bought a game you found that the game included not only the game you paid for but some extra data on the disc as well that is an extension to your original game and you see this as "evil corporations" ripping you off ?

I don't get that, is it better that they publish that content entirely separately and charge you again for the infrastructure costs of getting the game to you plus the cost of the game itself?
Look at it this way, you buy a SM tacticle squad box and inside the box is all the sprues, but the sprue with the heads is locked in a separate package in the box with a note stating to add heads to the models please pay an extra 20 dollars.

I am not aagainst DLC, there is nothing wrong with developing new additions separately for the game, but to purposfully include all of that content within the disc and lock it way to charge people later is a rip off and bad business.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode