Civilization 5 GOTY Edition - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default Civilization 5 GOTY Edition

Hey everyone.

I was a huge fan of Civilization 4 (Beyond the Sword) and I've noticed the GOTY Edition of Civilization 5 is on special on Steam for 14.99.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have it, and what you think of it? Is it worth buying, or should I just stick with Civ 4 for the moment?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-12, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Lol, seeing as how I got no replies, I went ahead and bought it.

Turns out it was lucky I waited anyway, as its on special today (Sunday 11 March) on Steam for only 7.49 from an original price of 29.99.

I'll post a review in a couple of weeks to let you know what I think of it.

In the mean time if anyone has it, or has just but it, feel free to contribute to the thread.

Is it good, bad, better than Civ IV etc etc?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 08:54 AM

Its....different. One thing it is is massively prettier, after civ5 i tried civ4 on my laptop while travelling and it looked awful in comparison. In terms fo games changes i am no Civ expert but the big things i guess are no unit stacking and no religion, then i guess the city state mechanic.

No stacking certainly changes the warfare in the game a lot. If you went for the build up mahoosive army / bitzkrieg of terror in a turn or two tactic you have to rethink now. THe stacking and in soem cases terrain means battles can get more drawn out as once you kick off a war you have to really manoeuvre your units into position. I also found it made Great Generals the least useful special character. Unless you plan a very long static war they seemed wasted building their special building (a kind of amped up fort) but the lack of stacking means their impact on battles was limited to a lot less unit.

Lack of religion is a shame I think, it was kinda cool in Civ4, though maybe a little unbalanced (IIRC the tactic of getting as many religions as possible and the wonders that granted happiness/money per religious building was pretty OP). Still it was a great way to steal cities from people!

City states are new and, for me, fun. They are single city Civs that can ally with major powers. There are different types that, if you ally with them, provide you with extra food, culture or military units. I tended to ignore the limitary unit ones and stay allies with the other two, the food and culture add up if you have lots of allies and help you grow. Beware though, if you attack a few they al;l turn unfriendly. My policy is never to attack them without a massive need. Still, they add something nice extra to the game.

One other rambling thought, I quite like that you don't need transport ships anymore, as units can just move onto water as transports, albeit very weak ones. It makes exploring easier and especially if civ states a long way away give you units you can get them home now!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 01:21 PM

Ha, and then I see this just today

http://geek.pikimal.com/2012/03/08/c...-fan-response/

Basically reintroducing religion and espionage, and soem limited unit stacking.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-12, 06:32 PM

Howzaa's Flag is: England

Thats good being without some of those elements were a pain

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode