Mass Effect Completed Thread *Spoilers* - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Mass Effect Completed Thread *Spoilers*

About twenty minutes ago I've finished the Mass Effect trilogy and have a lot of thoughts to digest. It has been, probably, the best series I've ever played when taking it all in to perspective. Sure, it has its cliche/corny elements here and there but it all just came to an entirely new meaning by the time the credits started to roll.

So, what are your opinions with the conclusion of the series? Was the end-game satisfactory? I'll elaborate on my views at a later time once I've come to a more refined conclusion of the matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-09-12, 05:52 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Still playing through the 3rd game right now, I'd venture a guess I'm mid way through atm, and I'm loving it. I'd say the 3rd game is the best in the series, in that it fixes many gameplay problems I had in both ME1 and ME2.

I've heard a lot of crap about the endings, though I'm holding out for the NG+ ending that's supposed to be the best, before I render judgement.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-12, 08:14 AM

I've not picked it up yet and doubt I will be able to get going with it for a few weeks now due to work but it's good to hear that you think it to be the best in the series.

Regards,
Jake.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-10-12, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm still kind of unopinionated on the ending. The very final moments appeared too rushed, failing to explain much at all what was going on beyond extraordinarily vague and avoidant statements.

Last edited by Holmstrom; 03-11-12 at 01:17 AM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-12, 09:03 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

One of the best game series i've ever played, loved all three games and how they all tied in.

Having said that. The ending is possibly the most disappointing endings I have ever seen, I would go so far as to say I hate the ending and can't quite believe Bioware ended such an epic with such an epic fail. I hated everything about it. Sheppard dead(or potentially alive) and all the Relays destroyed no matter which ending you went for, thus isolating the entire galaxy again with only FTL possible(not even sure of that), therefore utterly dividing all the species I just fought so fucking hard to unite. My beloved crew stranded on a alien planet, probably never to be reunited with Shepard again(due to the lack of relay stations and ship for that matter). On that matter, how the fuck did Garrus and Ashley(who were with my at the end) manage to get back onto the Normandy? Did they teleport? Big flaw right there.

Would it have been so hard to give us closure for the series. Mass Effect isn't grimdark like 40k. Having it end with the reapers destroyed and Shepard reunited with his crew and chosen romance wouldn't have been out of place or shit at all, would have been a perfect end.

Arghhhhhh. Seriously pissed off with it lol.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-12, 09:04 PM
The Emperor Protects

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-12, 09:24 PM
The Emperor Protects

And why was the Normandy flying away from earth anyway?!?!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-11-12, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

I fully expected Shepard to die at the end of ME3 as the tone of the game became darker and darker during my playthrough. That I'm cool with. The showdown at Earth was outright epic, and the sheer desperation of the final charge towards the Citadel relay platform as a Reaper guarding it slaughters nearly everyone who comes close dropped my jaw through the planets crust.

What really blew the circuitry of my brain was when Shepard came face to face with the force responsible for the Reaper apocalypse. I expected the rumors of the original ending to be true and that the Reapers were actually working for a 'good' cause to negate some space magic property of Dark Energy that the sentient races were somehow responsible for, which if players recall was heavily and increasingly emphasized during Mass Effect 2. (Perhaps because that sentient minds somehow 'polluted' the Universe with dark energy, which was the cause for stars dying too fast as with Dholen in ME2 or whatever. Thus the Reapers were attempting to preserve the Universe and its non-sentient life forms.)

This ending was one of the biggest let downs. I could see Shepard being faced with choices to control the Reapers, destroying them or whatever. That was legit. What REALLY pissed me off was the ultimate reason for the Reapers existence in the first place. The Reapers, a collective synthetic combine of conquered organic races, were there to slaughter advanced civilizations so that synthetic lifeforms would not become the dominant form of life in the Universe. lolwut?

Their masters revelation made much less sense than the Reapers own explanations, that they were there to simply harvest technology over and over again. The series definitely had some ominous Lovecraftian vibes flowing through it. Until that little kid popped up and reminded us that the Reapers were actually invented by EA to take all of our money. I could rant on about the ending cinematics as well, but as they say bullshit rolls downhill and is essentially small beans.

Last edited by Holmstrom; 03-11-12 at 09:58 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 11:04 AM

LordOfAbsolution's Flag is: United Kingdom

I know what you guys mean, I loved every single bit of the game, it's all I've been doing since friday when it was released. Like Holmstrom I'm fine with Shep dying it would of felt kind of wrong to me for him/her to be perfectly fine after all the shit he/she went through on earth.

The Ending had me glued to the screen and gripped by every second of it, I was there with Sheperd, as he/she struggled in the final moments, to get the job done, that was OUR struggle, that was all the hard work we did to achieve everything up to that point and that was our moment to save the galaxy! I loved it... until... Joker trying to outrun the collapse of the relays while in relay space... WTF. Why was Joker jumping through a mass relay anyway? Wouldn't he and your crew want to know what happened to you? Instead of sneaking off while the most important battle of the galaxy was happening, I choose the Paragon ending, died, and the hatch of the Normandy only opened a little for me.... again WTF?

What about all the reapers on all the other planets? out of all the scenes we could of seen and that could of made us happy with the ending, why was we shown Joker trying to run away out of all things? I know he's not a fighter but from the friendship I've built up with him through the three games he just wouldn't do that.

This play-through was just a normal one, I didn't Import (was too excited to play it and such) so I'm going to play a full Import at some point. But, I feel like my hard work, getting my squad, building relationship and forging the bonds of brothers (or sisters) in battle. Making alliances, doing the one thing that no one else in the Galaxy could do, bringing the major races together, even after centuries of bad blood. Hell I took down reapers through normal means and not some ancient super weapon that will strand all those races on earth... and for what? Joked (and my crew) running away from me when I needed them the most... Bastards...

All in All, Bioware dropped the ball in the last 5 minutes of such an epic game/ series. sure I would of like to of known what happened to Joker and the rest of the folks... I for one would of Happily sat there watching a good 30 minutes cut-scene about what happened to the rest of the races, what are they going to do no with no relays? how are they going to re-build... WHY DIDN'T THEY GIVE US CLOSURE TO 100+ HOURS OF FUCKING HARD WORK...

that's my rant done...

"By the Grace of the Emperor we live, By his will he shatter the Horrors of the Warp, with our blades we will cleanse the galaxy!" - Lord Commander Dominicus of the Saints of Absolution.

"The Emperor is the god of all Mankind, and we, are his lightning bolts that strike down his enemies" - from the book of Absolution

Last edited by LordOfAbsolution; 03-12-12 at 11:09 AM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 06:06 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

Great game. End was okay in some parts (Shepard dying), but really didn't have much to do with rest of the series and all decisions we made. It comes down to selecting one of three preset options. Really lame. As already said, great revelation at the end also don't make very sense.

Reminds me to end of another, otherwise good game.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode