Mass Effect Completed Thread *Spoilers* - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Video Games & Software For the discussion of P.C, Console and Hand Held video games.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-12, 10:38 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Basically took a series built entirely on propagation of personal choices throughout 3 installment, and funled it into 3 choices which, but for the rare few of us who managed to get Shpeherd out alive, ended in what can only be described as 3 different ways to say "will you buy our MMO, please?" with the added flavoring of "fuck off, your friends get to starve in the middle of bumble fuck nowhere on planet Slow Death.

Choice #1: Contol. You mean to tell me that dickhead was right? Oh, you say I can do it because I am not corrupt? Yeah, I just spent the better part of an entire game saying that was a stupid fucking idea, so I will pass.

Choice #2: Synthesis. So you built this giant army of titanic sentient space bugs to wipe out all advanced organic life so they would not create synthetic life as advanced as say.... The reapers, who you used to kill most organic life, in order to prevent that synthetic life from wiping out all organic life..... And now that won't work, so your new fix is to forcibly convert all organics into synthetics ...... Wait..... What?

Choice #3: Destory. Cool, destroying the Reapers. This is a choice I can get behind. What was that? It will destroy the mass relays, EDI, and all of the Geth too? You mean to tell me that you, some massively powerfull AI who has personally supervised the destruction of countless civilizations, cant just tell your 100% obedient space bugs to go fuck off? You, my annoying little friend, are full of shit.

So pissed off over this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-12, 12:04 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Rant on.

Well every option inexplicably results in the destruction of all the Mass Relays. Which means that in my ending the best part of the Turian, Asari, Salarian, Geth, Volus, Battarian, Rachni and Krogan militaries, aswell as the vast majority of the Quarian race*, numerous ex-Cerberus and Alliance fighters and operatives, the Blue Suns, Eclipse and Blood Pack, pretty much the entire Alliance fleet and numerous other miscellaneous allies. Are all now stuck in the Sol system, with Earth as the only truly habitable planet. I'm sure that will end marvellously, especially as I picked the destroy option** which means a shit ton of tech is now useless, though consequently the Geth are no more***.

*The majority of the Quarian Race being there is a great one. Finally managed to get them their homeworld back after all this time of them being exiled to fleet based life, on top of that I managed to secure an Alliance with their long standing enemy, the Geth. But oh wait, that's right, no matter which ending I pick, the Quarians are now stranded in the Sol system, so will never see their homeworld again. Nice.

**And apprently this is the renegade option?!?! Are you fucking kidding me. All through the three games, the main objective is to destroy the Reapers. And no matter what you try and do or decide, Anderson is always a good and just man, where as the Illusive Man is a dick. But no, destroying the reapers(and showing Anderson do it) is the 'bad' option. But allowing the Reapers to live, taking over them in fact, something which I just managed to convince the Illusive Man not to do by committing suicide, is in fact the Paragon option. Go fucking do one.

***Ahhh the Geth. So glad I tried so hard to ensure their survival aswell as the Quarians. And then I have to destroy them to ensure Shepard lives.

And despite destroying all synthetic life in the Galaxy, EDI still lived on mine. Though admittedly, she/it along with the rest of my crew seem to possess incredible surface to orbit teleportation skills, so it really shouldn't surprise me too much that they can avoid such galaxy changing instantaneous events. I hope my crew are happy being stranded on that planet and have enough supplies and willpower to start their own civilisation to ensure their continuation. That is of course if the planet isn't full of hostile wildlife like so many others are.

The citadel blowing up was nice aswell wasn't it. That's the council and all races main representatives dead along with the likeable Bailey and pretty much everyone else I've met and helped out there, along with all the refugees, normal inhabitants etc. Also where can those rather massive parts of the Citadel go but down. Sure going to cause some pretty horrendous life ending impacts on Earth.

But don't worry, Sheppard seemed to be alive at the end of mine. Though he looked on the verge of death before he blew up the machine infront of him, setting off a close proximity explosion. Never mind the destruction of the Citadel and the subsequent re-entry to earth and the above complications.

Essentially. Fuck you Bioware, Fuck you very much.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-12, 01:39 PM

LordOfAbsolution's Flag is: United Kingdom

agree with you there angel of blood, to be honest every option seems like a renegade option 'pick one of three options and fuck over everyone you care about and everything you and your crew worked so hard for'.

To me if they had to boil it down to just three options, this is how I would of liked it to play out (not as well no matter what ending you pick, you don't see Joker running away in any of them)

Paragon? - Take control of the Reapers because the little ghost kid will let you, you seem a SIGNAL through the relays THAT IS NOT POWERFUL ENOUGH TO DESTROY THEM IN THE PROCESS to order all reapers to leave, letting everyone get home and live a happy life, however the reapers are not gone, whether it be 1000s of years from now, they might one day return...

Neutral - the whole Synergy thing is fine, merge organic and synthetic life together. But the pulse signal that is sent out across the galaxy DISABLES the Mass Relays, they won't work for years or decades but all life across the galaxy are now at peak evolution so they will be able to fix them one day through struggle and will one day return home...

Renegade - F**k everyone! Destroy all Synthetic life! the Reapers, Geth, EDI and all the VIs! Because your John F**king Shepard and you can do whatever the f**k you like!... the force that has to be generated to destroy the reapers, in turn destroys the Mass Relays and strands everyone where they are, BUT you got REVENGE for what the Reapers did to Earth so why do you care? you did what you wanted to do because that's the Renegade way!...

in my personal opinion if those where the three choices I had to make I would of been over the moon, I would of been happy that we got choice, that building that character to be good, evil or in the middle meant something... that each choice at a cost, but a gain at the same time... that all you did meant something in the end... but no, no matter how good or evil you are you end up screwing everyone over for the LULZ... I'm happy I spent 42 on such a good main game... but sad I wasted that much money on such a shit ending that smells of the same shit and piss that the last Matrix movie smelt of......................

"By the Grace of the Emperor we live, By his will he shatter the Horrors of the Warp, with our blades we will cleanse the galaxy!" - Lord Commander Dominicus of the Saints of Absolution.

"The Emperor is the god of all Mankind, and we, are his lightning bolts that strike down his enemies" - from the book of Absolution

Last edited by LordOfAbsolution; 03-13-12 at 04:26 PM.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-12, 11:02 AM

Kettu's Flag is: Australia

All the talk about the ending (Or lack there-of) of Mass Effect just makes me remember how they decided to lovingly end Neverwinter Nights 2;

Quote:
And the lovely tales about how they almost won at the battle of shaggydog, almost survived the scouring of Rocksfalls, Almost did something in the purging of Pointless and
theybeatupsomehereticsafewyearsback
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-12, 02:06 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

There was one single thing that ruined DX3 for me. Not the stupid boss fights, not the combat, not the plot.

What ruined it was that while you had a "choice" of your ending, that choice was completely divorced from the character you were choosing to play. Whether you were a psycho killer or altruistic saint, you still ended up with the same box with the same switches on it. The game (and many others like it, such as ME3) touts "Your choices matter, and affect the ending".

This is a lie. There is only one choice that affects your ending, and that is the last choice you make.

What I loved was Dark Forces 2, where you couldn't reload 30 seconds before the final choice and see every ending sequentially, you had to play through the game again, making different choices and taking different actions. You were either Light Side, or Dark Side, and that affected your final cutscene. THAT is what I call "Your choices determining your fate".

Don't insult us by presenting us with three equally available options that have no bearing on how we have played the games, present us with a single option based on the sum total of our experiences. If we went full Renegade, give us the Bad Guy ending. If we were pure Paragon, give us the Good Guy ending. If we were somewhere in the middle, give us a morally ambiguous ending, or let us choose between a "Diet Evil" or "Diet Good" option. Do not allow us to play the entire game as the bad guy, quicksave, then choose the good guy final scene, reload, choose the bad guy scene, reload, then choose the neutral scene.

Not only does this present a player with a coherent and fitting end to their character, it benefits the company by forcing people to replay the game at least once if they want to end a different way, and replayability is good.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-12, 02:48 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfAbsolution View Post
Paragon? - Take control of the Reapers because the little ghost kid will let you, you seem a SIGNAL through the relays THAT IS NOT POWERFUL ENOUGH TO DESTROY THEM IN THE PROCESS to order all reapers to leave, letting everyone get home and live a happy life, however the reapers are not gone, whether it be 1000s of years from now, they might one day return...

Neutral - the whole Synergy thing is fine, merge organic and synthetic life together. But the pulse signal that is sent out across the galaxy DISABLES the Mass Relays, they won't work for years or decades but all life across the galaxy are now at peak evolution so they will be able to fix them one day through struggle and will one day return home...

Renegade - F**k everyone! Destroy all Synthetic life! the Reapers, Geth, EDI and all the VIs! Because your John F**king Shepard and you can do whatever the f**k you like!... the force that has to be generated to destroy the reapers, in turn destroys the Mass Relays and strands everyone where they are, BUT you got REVENGE for what the Reapers did to Earth so why do you care? you did what you wanted to do because that's the Renegade way!...
The choices don't make any sense, as the control choice (TIM's choice) is Paragon, and the destruction of the Reapers (what you'e been aiming for the entire time, and has Anderson in the picture) is renegade?

I'm buying into the idea that the whole ending was actually fake, a result of indoctrination on Shepard.

To be honest I actually expected an ending similar to what we had, I just expected it done better.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-12, 04:07 PM

demonlord24's Flag is: USA

*SPOILERS* still crying after what Mordin did though and the way Tali dies as well.In fact, most of your old crew is either dead, dying (Tane), MIA, or helps you once and that's the end of that...

Take a look at all the primarchs that stayed loyal.
Dead, missing, or in critical condition.

Now, take a look at the chaos primarches.
One missing primarch, the rest are Daemon Princes.

Chaos, The Better Solution.

Paid for by the Word Bearers.

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-12, 06:02 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Tali didn't die in mine, but i've seen the clip on youtube and it is very sad, especially as you hear all the ships crying out for help as they are destroyed.

HAving said that Legions death on mine was just as bad. I had both the Geth and Quarians ally, but it's a great scene where as Legion sacrifices himself, Tali tells him that he does have a soul.

Mordins death was awesome though, the renegade one where you kill him isn't so much, though it still shows how dedicated and steadfast Mordin is. But his sacrifice ending is quality.

Watching Thane kick the shit out of Kai Leng before he got stabbed was quality though and his death is then very well done.

Only Thane, Legion and Mordin died on my run through, And you can't save any of them apart form Mordin, but for Mordin to live, Wrex must be dead, you can't have saved the research in ME2 and one or two other things.

Watching alot of the other potential deaths on youtube, Wrexs is pretty brutal.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-12, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Losing Tali was not entirely expected, I must admit. But I felt only pity that the Quarrians who, in my games circumstance had the opportunity to make peace with the Geth, chose instead to try and selfishly reclaim their homeworld as the galaxy at large was at stake.

IMO the Geth more than deserved existence over the Quarrians. The only reason why most people chose the Quarrians, if not both races if possible, was simply because they were not a synthetic race. Interestingly, people see the Geth as a 'fake' people despite being (potentially) upgraded to full awareness.

While one could argue until the dawn of time whether or not a biologically created true artificial intelligence has a 'soul' or 'ghost', they are still very much a people.

The Quarrians played with fire, arrogantly thought they understood it and burned themselves the moment they began to misuse it.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-12, 06:30 PM

Fire Tempered's Flag is: Serbia

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221...source=twitter

Not sure what to think about this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > HO Off Topic > Video Games & Software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode